Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Level entrance scores
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Level entrance scores (0)  
Level entrances almost always are high-scorable by the virtue of not having a 1-square solution. That's not the problem.

The problem is that once you submit your first high-score for a level entrance, it's impossible to improve it, except by restoring to a previous level and going down the stairs again. The game just won't submit a new score for some reason.

It's totally impossible to improve the high-score of the hold entrance, except if there's a stairways that leads back to it, or if you delete the hold and re-import it.

Note that this means that if a hold was updated and the entrance rooms changed, you may not be able to ever get a score there at all.

I suggest that restoring to "level start" or "hold start" should be enough to allow you to improve the score.

Also note that I'm not sure what happens currently if you try uploading the scores manually - it didn't seem to work in my case, but maybe my scores are still waiting to be verified or something and will still show up.

[Last edited by eytanz at 10-25-2005 12:55 PM]
10-25-2005 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Level entrance scores (0)  
Are you sure it is so in the latest version? I'm almost sure using New Game works for the first room in the level, even before the 2.10 patch, and should not interfere with the Restore screen.

I also got it to work by Restoring into an entry room (not on the first level though) under the 2.10 patch, whereas it would not have worked under 2.08.

Tried it again with the very first room of a hold, and it worked fine using the Restore screen.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 10-25-2005 05:14 PM]
10-25-2005 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
I can't get restoring into level entrances to work in 2.0.10.

I'll try New Game again next time I have access to my DROD-running computer.

10-25-2005 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
For the record, New Game also works fine for me. I'm not quite sure why Restore would work for me and not for you: perhaps we are using different OS? (I am under Windows)

An even more far-fetched theory would be that it only works for holds/levels started under 2.10, as my test was done on a brand new hold for me.
10-25-2005 at 05:45 PM
eytanz
I'm under windows. I can't test at the moment since the computer that has DROD on it is in use by someone else at my office, but I'll test later on today and clarify exactly what the situation is.

10-25-2005 at 05:51 PM
eytanz
You're right - new game works. I'm not sure about restoring, though. I'll have to find a level entrance where that's properly testable and I'm not sure I have one.

10-25-2005 at 06:55 PM
Alneyan
For the record, I have tried several more Restores, and they all worked fine. However, I have just tried three Restores on the first room on Unfortunate Architect, and it didn't work. New Game did work, though.

So, it looks like I was able to Restore on the very first room of a few other holds, but not on this one. Could it be linked to whether the room has monsters or not? Unfortunate Architect doesn't have any monster in the first room, and didn't record a demo (sounds familiar with level 25, 2S of Rooted Hold?), whereas all other first rooms I tried for my test had monsters in them.
11-03-2005 at 09:45 PM
eytanz
Oh yeah, sorry - I should have been clearer. I was only talking about monsterless rooms to begin with.

11-03-2005 at 09:48 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Level entrance scores (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
I suggest that restoring to "level start" or "hold start" should be enough to allow you to improve the score.
This should be fixed in 2.0.11.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-22-2005 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Level entrance scores
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com