Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Rooms which save demo on traversal as well as conquest
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
cchittleborough
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
IP: Logged
icon Rooms which save demo on traversal as well as conquest (0)  
Many architects make good use of rooms which you have to traverse (cross from one entrance to another) instead of conquer. Another common pattern is rooms which cannot be conquered when first entered; instead you have to fight your way across the room, exit and reenter.

I would really like it if the "Automatically save a demo when you conquer a room" setting could also apply to traversing such rooms. The hold editor would have a new per-room setting called (perhaps) "Traversal Room" in addition to "Secret Room" and "Required Room". If a player with the "save a demo on conquest" flag set exits a traversal room from a entrance other than the one by which he or she entered, DROD would save a demo.

This leaves one tricky point: how do you decide if two entrance points are part of the same entrance?

(By the way, this is motivated by A Quiet Place: Limbo: 1N2E, which I traversed once and now cannot traverse again. Grrrr!)

10-23-2005 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Rooms which save demo on traversal as well as conquest (0)  
Hmm, I think that making something that the architect has to set is a bad idea, because then something like A Quiet Place won't be set correctly unless the architect comes back and uploads a new version. Rather, an option in the Settings screen for saving a demo when leaving a room would be better. It ideally would be separate from the "save a demo upon dying" option, but it could be integrated I suppose, since I think most people don't use it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-23-2005 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cchittleborough
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
icon Re: Rooms which save demo on traversal as well as conquest (0)  
Good point. I was thinking of future holds, not existing ones.

I though of adding a "save demo on traverse" setting, but felt that it would apply to far too many rooms, most of which would be easy to cross. It seems to me that you need to flag the hard-to-traverse rooms ... maybe players could press a key to stay "from now on, record a demo whenever I traverse the current room". Hmm, I suspect that would be hard to implement.

(Of course, the real answer is to press F4 just before exiting, but I usually forget to to so. :( BTW, I still haven't managed to repeat the second traversal of That Room.)

10-24-2005 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Rooms which save demo on traversal as well as conquest
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com