Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Clancy's Basement - 1st level (1.6b27)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Snicker
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
IP: Logged

File: Clancy 1627 070803.hold (10 KB)
Downloaded 146 times.
License: Other
icon Clancy's Basement - 1st level (1.6b27) (0)  
Created in 1.623, tested in 1.627. Welcome to my first attempt at DROD architecture. This level is not intended as a "beginners" level, as it comprises a wide variety of ideas with no introduction to skills. That being said, I think it will be an enjoyable challenge to anyone who has made it at least to level 20.

Please let me know if there are any bugs. I think I caught everything, but I've been plugging away at this so long, I might be blinded.

[Edited by Snicker on 07-08-2003 at 04:49 PM GMT: Attached New File]
07-08-2003 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Clancy's Basement - 1st level (1.6b27) (0)  
A few random thoughts:

Fun vault, biggest one so far. Mostly easy; I'd say it's about the difficulty level of Dugan's Dungeon level 7 or so on average. Some annoying rooms which use decoy orbs and spiders to force you to replay through stuff.

Some fun scrolls. What's with the duck?

07-08-2003 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I haven't finished yet sort of stuck on the snake room. But from what I have done so far eplacing some of the yellow doors with green doors would fix the problem with having to replay rooms. The tar maze room could have a roach instead of the orb and achieve the same solution using a green door.
07-08-2003 at 04:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
That's not what I was talking about, actually. I was mainly talking about 1N2W, where the tar has two orbs but going to one blocks the other, and only one of them does you any good, so if you select the wrong one you need to restart the room.

While this can sometimes be used to good effect in some rooms - 2N2W is a good example of a "learn by trial-and-error" room - in 1N2W it just seems gratitious and annoying.

07-08-2003 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Well I see what you mean. Guess I was just lucky to guess right the first time. Well now I am past the snake room and 2N2E seems to be the last room. Either theres nothing beyond it or theres a mistake cause theres no way to exit the room.

Edit: This can't be the last room because even after I completed it I didn't get the exit level message.

[Edited by Scott on 07-08-2003 at 05:33 AM]
07-08-2003 at 05:32 AM
eytanz
In case you can't find the last room and want help:

Click here to view the secret text

07-08-2003 at 05:40 AM
Scott
Thanks for that. I suggest though that putting a red door on a room that doesn't lead anywhere is very misleading. And normally the exit room unless it contains monsters shouldn't be a required room.
07-08-2003 at 06:27 AM
Snicker
Thanks - that's good advice. I didn't know that about exit rooms (although I think there are a few levels in Dugan's Dungeon with the same problem) - so I'll fix that tomorrow.

When I built the rooms, I guess I didn't think about having to go through rooms more than twice (once on the way out, and once on the way back). The tar maze is definitely the most annoying for that, and the next version will replace that orb with something as suggested (probably an eyeball. I like eyes).

I was actually thinking the orb-maze was too easy, but since you have to restart it so many times (no checkpoint), I think I'll leave it as is.

The misleading door in the jail is kind of rude, especially since you can't save before-hand. I'll put a note to fix that.

As for the other misleading door (2n2e), it is a dead end. (it originally lead to the treasure room, but there's no treasure in DROD ;)) Would it be better for me to replace that one with a yellow door, since the lack of an orb is a good enough indication of a dead-end?

The duck, since you asked, is a reference to Strong Bad from the Homestar Runner website. I'll let you find it from there.
Hint:

Also,

07-08-2003 at 08:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Re: Clancy's Basement - 1st level (1.6b27) (0)  
Also,

07-08-2003 at 10:46 AM
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
icon Re: Re: Clancy's Basement - 1st level (1.6b27) (0)  
Snicker wrote:

Also,

07-08-2003 at 11:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Re: Re: Clancy's Basement - 1st level (1.6b27) (0)  
levelthirteen wrote:

Well, ignoring the misspellings, it reads:

I'm not sure what it means in general, though. I kinda like the scrolls in this level - they add flavour.

07-08-2003 at 11:40 AM
Snicker
icon Re: Re: Re: Clancy's Basement - 1st level (1.6b27) (0)  
levelthirteen wrote:
Well...

levelthirteen also wrote:
Thanks - I thought it would be a fun one for anyone who found it. As for that scroll, eytanz was (mostly) correct on his translation. As for what it *means* well...

07-08-2003 at 04:04 PM
Snicker
Please note the new file.
Changes:
2n2e - Changed red door to yellow to suggest that it's impassable (because it is). Changed scroll text slightly.
2e - Changed door to green. Replaced orb with brain.
1e - Changed doors to green. Replaced orb with more roach mothers.
1n2w - Changed order the rooms are completed in to give access to the checkpoint sooner. This should make "flubbing" a lot less painful.
2n2w - Added eye at the end. Changed force arrow to green door.

This should make it a lot more playable for the first-time.
07-08-2003 at 04:55 PM
sims5000
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 117
2n2w is a pain in the back
(any hints)
01-23-2004 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Pen and paper is helpful.
01-24-2004 at 01:02 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Clancy's Basement - 1st level (1.6b27)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com