Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Yet another high-score quirk
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Yet another high-score quirk (0)  
In Palace of Puzzles JtRH remake, Ground Floor entrance, all the 8-move scores seem to have been taken without the goblin being there. I'm guessing that the players killed the goblin, left the level, and returned to it, and got a new high score on the second visit. But these highscores aren't really victory scores, are they?

10-19-2005 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Yet another high-score quirk (0)  
The goblin was added in a later revision to the hold. You'll note the date for all those faulty demos is older. I guess the spider has some quirk or limitation that means it hasn't found these yet.
10-19-2005 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Oh. That makes things more complicated.

If I play the demos - in my version of the hold, which includes the goblin - the goblin isn't there in the demos. Maybe it's because it's a level entrance, I don't know, but there seems to be a bug in DROD here, not in the spider.

10-19-2005 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564

File: TPoPJR Ground Floor The Entrance Victory a.demo (851 bytes)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
FWIW, I've just noticed my valid demo for that room from August 28 (a 10 move goblin kill) is not present in the highscores list, despite my having recently uploaded.

Exported and attached.

[Last edited by StuartK at 10-20-2005 12:13 AM : Choose correct demo for upload]
10-20-2005 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
I *think* that this is what happened:

The 8 move demos were recorded when there was no goblin in the room. So DROD marked the room as completed *before* the demos were recorded. So in these demos, it has the room in question marked as already conquered. That's why eytan doesn't see the goblin in his demos, and the high score spider sees the same thing.

I'd say it's a bug in DROD.

10-21-2005 at 06:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Schik wrote:
I *think* that this is what happened:

The 8 move demos were recorded when there was no goblin in the room. So DROD marked the room as completed *before* the demos were recorded. So in these demos, it has the room in question marked as already conquered. That's why eytan doesn't see the goblin in his demos, and the high score spider sees the same thing.
This sounds plausible. So why does the spider validate these scores if the room isn't being conquered in these demos?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-24-2005 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
mrimer wrote:
This sounds plausible. So why does the spider validate these scores if the room isn't being conquered in these demos?

Could it be that drod recordt that the room is empty on entrence? That would mean that when you leave you have defeated it because their are no monsters. I'm just making a wild guess.
10-24-2005 at 04:38 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
patmo98 wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Could it be that drod recordt that the room is empty on entrence? That would mean that when you leave you have defeated it because their are no monsters. I'm just making a wild guess.
Yes, that's the way it should have worked when these people initially recorded these demos, but now when the spider verifies them with the updated hold version, it should note the room isn't empty on entrance, hence not assume the room is automatically "conquered" on exit.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-24-2005 04:42 PM]
10-24-2005 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Yet another high-score quirk
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com