Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : a quick rant (hey, just let it out right?)
<<3456
Page 7 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Re: a quick rant (0)  
coppro wrote:
Expecially since such a process isn't even running on my computer (everyone loves task manager).
If I understand correctly, a program can test for an application like task manager being started and kill itself while task manager is open so you don't ever see it's actually running. :no

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-17-2006 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
Alneyan wrote:
For what it's worth, can it still read *some* CDs? I know my sister's computer cannot read certain CDs, but is fine with others (she is running Windows XP too. I'm showing her how good-looking KDE is).

It probably isn't the same problem, of course. The wonders of CD-Rom drives are a dime the dozen.

Yes it can. But only if I wipe a cleaning cloth over the lens and then only sometimes.
It *does*, however, read DVDs fine.
I got an answer on the Microsoft Support Forum which kind-of explains it - DVDs and CDs use a different kind of laser to read them. Different colour or frequency or something.

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about getting a new one (DVD/CD Drive not laptop).
04-17-2006 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: a quick rant (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
If I understand correctly, a program can test for an application like task manager being started and kill itself while task manager is open so you don't ever see it's actually running. :no
Well, almost. There wouldn't be much point to it if the app went suicidal the moment someone was looking for it, right?

What those apps do is intercept the system calls to enumerate the processes in the system and altering the returned data so they aren't listed.

np: Ferenc - Vinagreta (Fraximal)

04-17-2006 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ravon
Rank Points: 220
Alneyan wrote:
The actual ad is here
I didn't know my computer was in pleasanton... :huh
04-19-2006 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
I hate it when people revive old threads after being gone for a lont time just to say "hey, look at this really cool thread I made a long time ago!"

:D
09-09-2006 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: a quick rant (+2)  
Yeah, me too...good thing no cool threads have been revived recently. :evil:

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-09-2006 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<3456
Page 7 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : a quick rant (hey, just let it out right?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com