Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Golden Pie Awards Ceremony (The winners!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Golden Pie Awards Ceremony (+2)  
Our Golden Pie nominees for Best Actor this year are...

Leus, for Beethro's Trial.

Show clip of Beethro standing in a courtroom wearing an expression of indignation. Applause.

MeckMeck GRE, for Open Mike Night.

Clip of a guy telling some bad jokes in front of a brick wall. More applause.

Krammer, for his performance in Fairy Tale.

A goblin's house gets smashed to pieces. Clap clap clap.

Doom, for Goblin Skool.

"O Captain My Captain" says a Goblin as the music swells. Wooooh! Clap clap clap.

Vylycyn, for his work in The Movie.

Two swordsmen clash their swords together while peanuts are offered to onlookers. More applause.

And Techant, for A Grand Day In.

Clip of Beethro banging on a door. Applause.

And the winner of the 2005 Golden Pie Award for Best Actor in a Motion Picture is...

Leus!

Krammer begins walking up to the stage. Some nearby people grab him and explain he hasn't won. Embarrassed, he returns to his seat. The camera switchs to Techant, who is clapping extra loud, smiling a little too much, and fighting the urge to bolt from the room. Leus bounds to the stage with a cocky grin on his face, grabs the mike, and begins his acceptance speech...

-Erik

10-09-2005 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Leus
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 204
icon Re: Golden Pie Awards Ceremony (+2)  
I don't know what to say... Despite the fact that I have this cocky grin on, I am actually quite surprised and flattered. I'd like to thank Erik for inventing DROD, and my mom, and larrymurk for the writing and Beethro, the Slayer, and the rest of the faces from which my brilliant and talented performance was delivered.

So... Now what?

10-09-2005 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Golden Pie Awards Ceremony (0)  
You forgot to thank the Academy, and God. No matter what you actually believe, you gotta thank those two.

I mean, we all know the Academy doesn't really exist, but still, it's the look of the thing.

10-10-2005 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Leus
Oh yeah. Those guys, my agent, and most of all: My loyal fans.

And my secret lover. ***CELEBRITY GOSSIP: MILLENIUM EDITION!***

10-10-2005 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Deep bow:blush Deep bow:blush, thank you thank you thank you. :lol

Well, I guess my girly voice just doesn't work or I need more acting leasons. It was fun anyway and as it was my 8th (yes count it) my big bad 8th contest entry, I get something from the prize pile anyway.:lol

Thanks to everyone who tried this contest, all 5 of you, it was really fun to watch your show.

[Last edited by techant at 10-10-2005 07:25 AM]
10-10-2005 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Golden Pie Awards Ceremony (+1)  
Okay, that was a fine acceptance speech, Leus--brief and no ugly sobbing.

So Leus is #1. You know the guy is cocky when he asks me to add stuff to the Prize Pile before he picks from it. Okay, fella, I added a DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon CD there for you if you want it. Leus is getting a hundred rank points, of course.

Krammer faked up a nearly convincing British accent and grabbed 2nd prize--50 rank points to him. ;)

Techant did a really good job of producing several distinct voices. She gets 25 rank points.

Sadly, no rookies, but it was still a great contest. Much thanks to everyone who created a hold with voice recordings. I know it was a fair amount of work, and probably pushing the limits of what we should ask for in a contest. Great job, really!

-Erik

10-10-2005 at 07:27 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
ErikH2000 wrote:

Techant did a really good job of producing several distinct voices. She gets 25 rank points.

-Erik

I was confused reading the first section and had not found the final voting and had not realized I had made 3rd place.:blush

Thanks to everyone. Thanks to my husband for lending me the digital recorder and listening to my voices and convincing me they really didn't sound like me. Thanks to to all our viewers.... Thanks to the actors and actress, Beethro, the Brain, Queeny and the all the members of the Roach Queen Actress Assoc.

Also thanks to you guys who set up this whole thing, we couldn't have done it without you.

By the way see you all in the "Smite to the Death" contest. Thanks :D

10-10-2005 at 07:39 AM
Leus
Yeah, what can I say? In all honesty, I actually thought of the idea before I won, but I didn't want to say anything because I thought Karma might think I was being prematurely confident and take me off my pedestal. :D

And since the special offer from the newsletter isn't included, I still have a tough choice to make. That Trials of Werlin game is quite entertaining.

Do I have some sort of deadline? Also, should I just e-mail my address to you, Erik, if I choose the CD?

10-10-2005 at 09:25 AM
ErikH2000
Leus wrote:
Do I have some sort of deadline?
No, not really, but I like it people can figure out what they want within a few weeks. Easier to keep track of things that way.
Also, should I just e-mail my address to you, Erik, if I choose the CD?
Yeah, exactly right.

-Erik

10-10-2005 at 06:06 PM
Leus
Ooh! I just thought of another factor: If I choose the Trials of Werlin, it will technically be within the time I have allotted in order to get three free levels. Will I get those if I receive the game as a prize rather than purchasing it?

10-11-2005 at 04:53 AM
ErikH2000
Leus wrote:
Ooh! I just thought of another factor: If I choose the Trials of Werlin, it will technically be within the time I have allotted in order to get three free levels. Will I get those if I receive the game as a prize rather than purchasing it?
I'll ask Bruno (the developer) about it. I think you can get the 3 extra levels--gotta check.

-Erik

10-11-2005 at 05:46 AM
Leus
Alright, cool. :)

10-11-2005 at 09:48 AM
ErikH2000
Bruno says that the full version of Trials of Werlin he gave Caravel to distribute have the 3 extra levels in them to begin with. So yeah, you will get the 3 extra levels.

-Erik

10-11-2005 at 05:13 PM
Leus
Yay! Alright, I might as well have that... So.. Do you just send me a file or something?

Also, where do my 100 rank points show up? Did I get them yet? I've been trying to give people + points but keep finding that I'm fresh out. If I had 100 rank points would I have some more points in my reserve to dish out?

10-12-2005 at 12:14 AM
ErikH2000
Leus wrote:
Yay! Alright, I might as well have that... So.. Do you just send me a file or something?
Yeah, I'll send you a Werlin link a little later. Don't worry.
Also, where do my 100 rank points show up? Did I get them yet? I've been trying to give people + points but keep finding that I'm fresh out. If I had 100 rank points would I have some more points in my reserve to dish out?
I don't hand out the mod points with contest prizes. My rationale is to keep mod point rewards linked to good forum posts, since people getting mod points that way are more likely to spend them right. And then I think right now, "What the heck? It doesn't matter that much so I should give some to Leus," but then that would go against my "squeaky wheel DOES NOT get the grease" policy. So instead I will award one hundred mod points to MeckMeck GRE for no reason at all. If anyone wants mod points, say something that will make MeckMeck happy. Yeah, MeckMeck is the man to please now.

Leus, just be glad I don't give you negative mod points! You are floating on the whims of gods. :)

Oh, and I'll go award rank points for everybody now.

-Erik

10-12-2005 at 12:24 AM
Leus

I'm staring at the screen gaping and possibly drooling right now because I really don't know exactly what you just said... But whatever it was, it was probably awesome.

P.S.: I'm not gaping or drooling anymore. I had to compose myself to type this.

10-12-2005 at 12:36 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
If you're still confused about rank points vs. mod points, you can see the forum FAQ. Specifically, this question. You just jumped from a Delver to a Master Delver. However, you still won't get mod points until someone mods you up as normal (which also gives rank points).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-12-2005 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Dang, that MeckMeck fellow is a fine, fine person. He gives me hope for the future.

Did that work? No?

10-12-2005 at 03:46 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
My name is Banjooie, and I approve of randomly giving Meckmeck mod points whenever anyone asks for them.
10-12-2005 at 05:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I'm personally a big fan of just handing out mod points for no reason at all. I'd try to convince the admins to go through and give 25 mod points each to all the God Tower people to see what happens, but I'm also thinking that poking a sleeping dragon is never a good idea.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 10-12-2005 07:52 AM : I thought some more. I can think some more. You gotta problem with that?]
10-12-2005 at 05:40 AM
Oneiromancer
Mattcrampy wrote:
I'm personally a big fan of just handing out mod points for no reason at all. I'm thinking of convincing the admins to go through and give 25 mod points each to all the God Tower people to see what happens.
:disgust
What a waste. Seriously. I'm so tempted to delete that thread and the "not pron" one. More trouble than they're worth.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-12-2005 at 06:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I'm confused about your reaction here, Onei, especially as I'd lump one of your threads, the Fish Fillets one, in the same category as the 'not pron' and the 'Insaniquarium' ones.

The fact of the matter is that for some reason our forum does very well in Google seaches, so people searching for hints for a particular game, especially if it doesn't have a place of its own, are likely to come here. The users that frequent those threads mostly stay there, and don't muck up the furniture too much.

I'm honestly not seeing where the trouble is. If we're talking about the atrocious spelling, so long as they keep it to themselves I'm willing to let it pass. If we're talking about all the posts they're making, one should probably also consider deleting vast swathes of the Forum Games. If one is talking about the increased amount of visitors, I'd be somewhat concerned that this is seen as a problem. Combinations of these issues can pretty much be solved as well - if they all start busting out en masse and invading General, we can take them aside and let them know about the social expectations outside their topic. Most of us are intelligent enough not to get flustered when a rogue user tries to justify not following what we expect of people as a community.

And if worst comes to worst, we've still got down mods. As Jeff_Ray has mentioned, they're very discouraging. Last resort sort of thing, though - negotiation is always preferable to conflict and so on.

It's an entirely solvable problem, and it's useful to set precedents that this forum is ideal for people who like puzzle games. DROD is a hardcore puzzle game, so the better we as a community are at strengthening the genre, the better it'll be for Caravel and for other puzzle game companies.

Edit: it occurs to me that maybe giving them all 25 mod points to see what happens has a very good chance of backfiring.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 10-12-2005 07:51 AM]
10-12-2005 at 07:49 AM
Oneiromancer
There have been many threads on this forum, over the years, and one very recently, where people wonder what it is that makes this forum so nice, civil, and intelligent. It generally seems to be agreed that the abilities required to do well at DROD, the good examples set by the majority of the forumites, and the relatively low tolerance for spamming and vulgarity shown by the mods accounts for it. (Or maybe that's just how I see it.)

The aforementioned threads have certainly attracted some fine people who would be great members of the forum. Perhaps some of them have bothered to see what the forum is about and are now members...I haven't noticed if this is the case, though. Much more noticeable, however, are the people who are more or less polar opposites of the average DROD forum-goer. Of course we want more people to play DROD and join the community. But there's no way we can appeal to everyone. And I don't think we should appeal to everyone, anyway...that would make DROD very much unlike the game we all love.

So yeah, maybe I'm being elitist against the "give me ur answer to 2!!!1" people that those threads seem attract in droves. I'm trying to feel bad about it...but I just can't. I've just been a cynic and a curmudgeon for too much of my life to start suffering fools gladly now.

Game on,

10-12-2005 at 08:20 AM
Mattcrampy
It occurs that this may be the wrong place to be having this discussion.

10-12-2005 at 08:28 AM
Leus

So, uh.. Oh! Gaining rank points does not mean you also gain mod points. I totally understand now. I was trying to look for some obscure and hilarious joke, but now I am enlightened.

10-12-2005 at 07:48 PM
ErikH2000
Leus wrote:
So, uh.. Oh! Gaining rank points does not mean you also gain mod points.
If you are given rank points with the +1 thing, then yeah you get mod points. Through the contest prizes, no, there are no mod points given with rank points.

-Erik

10-12-2005 at 08:00 PM
Leus
Well at least I have a big internet number that I can intimidate all the little small-numbered LOSERS with now.

10-12-2005 at 08:06 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Leus wrote:
Well at least I have a big internet number that I can intimidate all the little small-numbered LOSERS with now.

o rly
10-12-2005 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Leus was actually a rookie for this contest, so I also gave him +10 rank points for that.

-Erik

10-12-2005 at 11:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Golden Pie Awards Ceremony (The winners!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com