Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ambient sounds (room specific)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Ambient sounds (0)  
It would be an another tool for hold creators. What I remember from making quake2 levels is that no ambient sounds makes it sound very empty - and unnatural.

If I could set some ambient sounds to be played in specific rooms every now and then, things would be much better. DROD would feel a bit less like a board game, what is not necessarily a bad thing.

Think about wind howling somewhere in the tunnels, something scrathing walls from the other side, muffled, eerie voices, whispers, something as cheap as rattling chains, dripping water, footsteps you can't quite place... Lots of possibilities.

And only one problematic issue: some players could use copyrighted content, and that can't be easily checked. This however can be already done with graphics.

I know a warcraft sound when I hear one.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
10-09-2005 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Ambient sounds (+1)  
You can have ambient sound by setting an invisible character to use the speech command without any text, and play your sound file.

"Oook!"
10-09-2005 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Ambient sounds (+1)  
b0rsuk, I have no idea what you're talking about. Beethro talks exactly like Prince Arthas ALL THE TIME.

<_<

>_>
10-09-2005 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Ambient sounds (0)  
krammer wrote:
You can have ambient sound by setting an invisible character to use the speech command without any text, and play your sound file.

It's either

- loop
- event

Both of these are a baaaad way to implement howling wolves. Loop would be ok if it supported random interval. (+/- X seconds)

There's another reason for separate entity. Characters were originally meant as actors. Sure they can be used as workarounds, but it's like ... um... for example using Checkpoint as floor decoration. Missing the point completely. Worse - it would make r key very annoying to use.

It is the same with characters and ambient sounds. Once you add several sounds to a room, AND have several other characters doing other stuff, it gets hard to manage.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 04-07-2007 06:18 PM]
04-07-2007 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Ambient sounds (0)  
you could make the recording with lots of silence and loop that.
(sorry, I mean, as workaround, not to puncture your request)

04-07-2007 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ambient sounds (room specific)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com