Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death - Start Here (The main topic for the contest.)
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Start Here (+1)  
Well, crap.

I look at my position on the board, and I'm pretty sure I'm screwed; crossed swords with a person with higher priority than you is basically asking for it. x_x;

Ah well. There's always next time.

10-13-2005 at 09:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
Sorry, NekoIcardine. I kinda fell asleep in cycle 1, but I'm using it to my advantage now. :fun

And also Malarame wanted you to win as well. *cough* Sorry... :P

Click here to view the secret text

10-13-2005 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Start Here (0)  
I would help me if the numbers for each player appered on the 5 move as well because then I could know who it really was that would be coming at me next cycle. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

The list of dead or removed seemed incomplete.
Who is really left in the #3-#26_#27 battle?

10-13-2005 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Start Here (+2)  
techant wrote:
I would help me if the numbers for each player appered on the 5 move as well because then I could know who it really was that would be coming at me next cycle. Sometimes it is hard to tell.
If you hold 5 down (with a high repeat rate), you should be able to see the speech next to the players in move 5 before they disappear. However, I agree that that would be a very cool idea if it could be implemented.

The list of dead or removed seemed incomplete.
Who is really left in the #3-#26_#27 battle?
Personally, I was betting on #3 (since he had the order advantage), but it was not so - #26 escaped being trapped in the corner by taking advantage of #3's indecisive dodge diagonally and killing him. #27 was then quickly dispatched because at least his first three moves were '5', so he didn't move.

10-13-2005 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Its time-consuming for me to make the text speeches repeat like that, so I'm not going to do it. Not that I mind people asking.

-Erik

10-13-2005 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Could you please make the speech repeat?

Well, you did say you didn't mind people asking. *Ducks for cover* O:-
10-13-2005 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Heh. And I don't mind myself replying "no" in a grumpy way either! ;)

-Erik

10-13-2005 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
agaricus5 wrote:
#26 escaped being trapped in the corner by taking advantage of #3's indecisive dodge diagonally and killing him.

#3 was not dodging. #3 made a bad assumtion. He thought that #26 would kill #27, and so he moved in such a way to kill #26 immediately afterward. #26 anticipated this action, and so moved in such a way that #3 would be killed if he tried to kill #26 in this direct manner.

Tim is really good at this.
10-13-2005 at 11:17 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Abbyzzmal wrote:
#3 was not dodging. #3 made a bad assumtion. He thought that #26 would kill #27, and so he moved in such a way to kill #26 immediately afterward. #26 anticipated this action, and so moved in such a way that #3 would be killed if he tried to kill #26 in this direct manner.
Well, #26 did kill #27, but not immediately. As soon as #26 realised that #3 was a very good DROD player, #26 knew #3 would kill him if he tries to kill #27, and because #3 was a bigger threat than #27, he killed #3 first.

Movement order is quite important, but one always needs to be alert on who (s)he is up against. For example, if #3 was agaricus5 instead, then #26 could certainly kill #27 on his first move and run as fast as possible, but safely, out of there ;)

And for my next cycle, I'm going to get #1... (or not)

-- Tim ;)

Edit: Changed to cycle ;)

[Last edited by Tim at 10-14-2005 12:23 AM]
10-14-2005 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Tim wrote:
Abbyzzmal wrote:
Well, #26 did kill #27, but not immediately. As soon as #26 realised that #3 was a very good DROD player, #26 knew #3 would kill him if he tries to kill #27, and because #3 was a bigger threat than #27, he killed #3 first.

Movement order is quite important, but one needs always to be alert on who (s)he is up against. For example, if #3 was agaricus5, and #26 was Tim, then #26 would certainly kill #27 on him first move and run as fast as possible out of there ;)
Interesting. I would personally have rotated to face south, then moved southeast. This would allow me to pin you against the wall to the south (your orientation would give me an advantage), while also reducing the risk posed by #27.

And for my next turn, I'm going to get #1... (or not)
That's impossible. There is no pair of moves you two could possibly make that would allow you to kill #1 on move 11. If you meant cycle, however, then that's a different matter.

10-14-2005 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
#3 actually did wince when he looked and saw that #26 was Tim, but went through this line of reasoning:

Naturally, I was wrong. I have the same problem in Rock, Paper, Scissors. I swear, I invariably lose in games of outthinking people. It would be better if I did not think.

Anyway, I think it's a shame that DelverDom did not submit any commands for the cycle. It could have made things even more interesting in this corner of the room.
10-14-2005 at 01:46 AM
ErikH2000
Abbyzzmal wrote:
#3 actually did wince when he looked and saw that #26 was Tim, but went through this line of reasoning:
Heh heh. And right before you died, you cried out "inconceivable!" Definitely a beautiful piece of overthinkery there.

-Erik

10-14-2005 at 02:30 AM
NekoIncardine
Abbyzzmal wrote:
Naturally, I was wrong. I have the same problem in Rock, Paper, Scissors. I swear, I invariably lose in games of outthinking people. It would be better if I did not think.

Anyway, I think it's a shame that DelverDom did not submit any commands for the cycle. It could have made things even more interesting in this corner of the room.

Compared to the mistake I made which ended up with crossed swords with someone with higher turn priority, overthinking it like that is probably a lesser error.

Still, this is like Battle Royale, but with swords. Only one will live. Until you cheat the game and two people get away and live happily ever af- WANTED FOR MURDER.

(I'm an anime nerd, so I have to make bad references like that. Sorry. :|)

10-14-2005 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
ErikH2000 wrote:
Abbyzzmal wrote:
Heh heh. And right before you died, you cried out "inconceivable!" Definitely a beautiful piece of overthinkery there.
Oh! Oh! Everyone should submit death quotes that can be added to the hold when the contest is over! And all the cycles need to be combined into one room. Yeah, that would be a lot of work, but as long as I don't have to do it ... ;)

- Gerry
10-14-2005 at 08:12 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I look forward to seeing a final version of the hold that will script everyone's moves. Dollars to donuts that it will end up on the website as well, whenever it gets finished. I could continue from there, but it would get boring.

And curse you, Oneiro! I've now learned to move away from bombs before rotating my sword.

10-15-2005 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
I look forward to seeing a final version of the hold that will script everyone's moves.
Sorry, man--it's not going to happen unless somebody else does it. That is probably a 2 or 3 day project. Plus, it's even possible that the rooms end up taking minutes instead of seconds to save with all the scripting in them. So I just wouldn't recommend anyone going down that road, even though the end result would be very cool to watch.

-Erik

10-15-2005 at 01:08 AM
gamer_extreme_101
ErikH2000 wrote:
So I just wouldn't recommend anyone going down that road, even though the end result would be very cool to watch.
Would you be offended if I offered rank points to the first person who did it? *makes a puppy dog face*

10-15-2005 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage

The Squeezening

Well, I just thought I'd mention that there will be some hot pressure play from the infielders on the hot plates, but since I know nothing about baseball all what I said was probably inappropriate.

Meh.

I just means I wonder what people would do, because I would do something really interesting.

ErikH2000 wrote:
Sorry, man--it's not going to happen unless somebody else does it. That is probably a 2 or 3 day project. Plus, it's even possible that the rooms end up taking minutes instead of seconds to save with all the scripting in them. So I just wouldn't recommend anyone going down that road, even though the end result would be very cool to watch.

I might give it a try because I would really like to see that. I was thinking scripting the movement from the 1st cycle to the 3rd because I wanted to know where people were going, but I kept on looking back at past rooms. It doesn't flow like that.

I see what happens I suppose.

Edit: I *love* scripting, gamer_extreme_101, but you probably wouldn't realise I was being sarcastic. :P

[Last edited by Yellow_Mage at 10-15-2005 01:26 AM]
10-15-2005 at 01:23 AM
ErikH2000
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Would you be offended if I offered rank points to the first person who did it? *makes a puppy dog face*
I don't care. Yeah, go for it! :)

-Erik

10-15-2005 at 05:34 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Okay, I'll do it. I've already got about 70% of the first 3 cycles done and the rest gets only easier and easier as the game progresses.

And Erik, my loading times aren't any longer than usually, so that shouldn't become a problem.

Edit: 100% done with the 3 first cycles :thumbsup

[Last edited by Doom at 10-15-2005 02:13 PM]
10-15-2005 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
As I look at my poker hand, then look across the table at everyone else, I'll give out 15 rank pointsto the first person who creates a basic version of the hold with everything scripted along with a final version of kills per person. However, if you feel like being creative, add random quotes to the hold and add a little writeup to it, and you'll receive 25 rank points, and it will also be considered a article submission for DROD.net, which you will find out later how that is a good thing.

10-15-2005 at 03:46 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'd be willing to fund this. I've been wanting to give away some rank points for a while.

10-15-2005 at 05:17 PM
ErikH2000
Doom wrote:
Man, you are awesome! I feel slightly lame compared to you. After the contest is over, maybe you ought to run your own little tourney. :thumbsup

-Erik

10-15-2005 at 07:45 PM
NekoIncardine
I politely ask that if witty quotes are added to the game, at least one quote be:

"Thou hast been owned."

Just because I like to see that phrase used more.

10-17-2005 at 12:22 AM
Muiff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
NekoIncardine wrote:
I politely ask that if witty quotes are added to the game, at least one quote be:

"Thou hast been owned."

Just because I like to see that phrase used more.

I suggest, in a slightly less polite manner, that delvers running away from the Squeezening will say Run away! like in Quest for the Holy Grail :smile
And if I die, I want to say... no, wait a minute, that's not gonna happen O:-
10-17-2005 at 04:47 PM
Yellow_Mage
Doom wrote:
Okay, I'll do it. I've already got about 70% of the first 3 cycles done and the rest gets only easier and easier as the game progresses.

And Erik, my loading times aren't any longer than usually, so that shouldn't become a problem.

Cool. :)

I've done it up to the end of cycle 5. It does get easier. If anyone would like quotes, I would have to seriously think about because it might not look right because I either don't understand why I can't have simultaneous text speech up under certain situations, or, well me really. I'm not good with scripts involving speech. Doom might do it anyways out of sheer experience and because he's faster than me. :P

10-19-2005 at 02:31 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I have read the new rules for cycle 6 but think that being at the end of the sequence all this time has been penalty enough and that those who are first in the sequence should suffer now.

It has been a disadvantage to move after most everyone else. We either should reverse the sequence or give the penalty to those who are first in the sequence. Spoken from player #53

Edit added after reviewing cycle 5's moves:
I say this even after finding out there is no way I can continue to live unless someone shows me mercy. If the sequence had reversed back and forth each cycle then I would have not always had to be on the defensive all the time and could have been on the offensive more. Next time I would recommend changing the sequence order so that it was fair to all the players. Just my thoughts as I approach death. :weep

P.S. This is not a secret deal in violation of the rules but an open and public plea.......Not that I would do the same though.

[Last edited by techant at 10-19-2005 03:35 AM]
10-19-2005 at 03:25 AM
ErikH2000
techant wrote:
It has been a disadvantage to move after most everyone else. We either should reverse the sequence or give the penalty to those who are first in the sequence. Spoken from player #53
It's a good point, and I'll consider a slightly different version of Straggler's for cycle 7 that doesn't use sequence# to determine who is removed. Since people have already submitted cycle 6 commands, I don't want to change the rule for cycle 6.
Edit added after reviewing cycle 5's moves:
I say this even after finding out there is no way I can continue to live unless someone shows me mercy. If the sequence had reversed back and forth each cycle then I would have not always had to be on the defensive all the time and could have been on the offensive more. Next time I would recommend changing the sequence order so that it was fair to all the players. Just my thoughts as I approach death. :weep
There are bound to be many things unfair with this first game. It's the first one we've done, and there is a lot of experimentation. Maybe with refinements in future games, we'll evolve it into something better.

-Erik

10-19-2005 at 03:37 AM
Leus
Rank Points: 204
I still say that you guys should make multiplayer a full-on game option. It would be quite fun and enticing, I bet. It's probably a lot to ask, but you should at least think about it. It might get the game more well-known. :D

10-19-2005 at 06:57 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Yellow_Mage wrote:
If anyone would like quotes, I would have to seriously think about because it might not look right because I either don't understand why I can't have simultaneous text speech up under certain situations, or, well me really. I'm not good with scripts involving speech. Doom might do it anyways out of sheer experience and because he's faster than me. :P
I won't propably start adding quotes or other commentary into it. First of all, there's so much stuff happening around at the beginning that it's nearly impossible to comment stuff like kills without making it hard to follow.

Turn 3: 1 kill
Turn 4: 4 kills
Turn 5: 5 kills (1 double kill by bomb)
Turn 6: 5 kills, 3 removed
Turn 7: 4 kills (1 double kill by bomb)

As you can see, the beginning is quite hectic. It would also be quite a bit of extra work and I just don't feel like starting doing it... Of course, someone else can add comments to the complete game hold. (no pun intented, Someone Else :))
10-19-2005 at 08:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death - Start Here (The main topic for the contest.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com