Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (Update hold drafts get posted here first.)
Page 2 of 8
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (0)  
So, if I understand correctly, the end result remains the same as before but for a slightly different reason.

Oh, that leaves open the question - when do fuse-induced explosions occur? At the beginning or at the end of a movement turn? That might make a big difference in some places.

[Last edited by eytanz at 10-10-2005 05:30 PM]
10-10-2005 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
eytanz wrote:
Oh, that leaves open the question - when do fuse-induced explosions occur? At the beginning or at the end of a movement turn? That might make a big difference in some places.
The short answer is: however DROD does it. It's not an arbitrarily chosen thing for this contest.

Since I didn't know how DROD does it, I asked Mike. He said that on any given turn, scripted characters move before bomb explosions. So if you were standing just inside a bomb's blast radius and moved out of it on the same turn the bomb exploded, you should safely escape the blast.

-Erik

10-10-2005 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Please, noone submit commands based on this hold. I won't accept them and you've have to submit new commands later after the final hold as been posted in the other "Hold Updates" topic. This topic is for review of draft holds.

-Erik

10-10-2005 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
worm
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
Well, at least I wasn't the only guy to die!
10-11-2005 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Ok, I think we (being me and eytanz) should both survive. The bomb should blow on turn 5. I move out of range on turn 4, and you move only move into range after the explosion.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 10-11-2005 04:32 AM : defining we]
10-11-2005 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
MeckMeck, you're off the hook for updating the hold on the next cycle. I want to do this one because I'm not sure yet if it is best to keep scripting in one room or start a new room for each cycle. The time spent saving the room seems to grow as more scripting is added, so I'm not sure if it is a good idea to add all the scripting to just one room.

In other words, I'm still playing with it.

-Erik

10-11-2005 at 05:34 AM
Kevin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 262
I think there was another mistake with the first cycle. On the fifth turn, Crazy Ivan was supposed to try to go NW, which was blocked by vylycyn. Instead of not moving, Crazy Ivan moved west.

I was going to post this before the official hold update, but the server seemed to be down, preventing me from posting. I guess it's too late for this to be corrected, but I just thought I'd mention it. It doesn't seem to have a huge affect on the game anyway.
10-11-2005 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Yeah, at this point it's moot. People have already submitted moves based on the new cycle hold. We just have to keep going.

-Erik

10-11-2005 at 08:41 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Question to Erik : Why got I removed from the volunteer table ?
10-11-2005 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (+1)  
MeckMeck - he answers that four posts above your own (the reason is he's still not sure about the best format so he wants to do it himself).

10-11-2005 at 11:18 AM
ErikH2000

File: Smite to the Death - Cycle 3.hold (8.2 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Cycle 3 Hold - Draft (0)  
I needed to use a separate room for the new cycle. The bombs and fuses were handled like this:

* If a lit fuse was connected to a bomb that was already suicide-exploded, then the entire fuse was removed from the new room.

* Other lit fuses are shown in the new room as unlit fuses with length shortened to where they would be on the fifth turn at end of the cycle. So in other words, I chopped 5 squares off each fuse that was lit in the previous cycle.

Players will have to be careful about fuses that are lit but not shown that way. These fuses are still burning and will blow a bomb. Well, unless someone suicide-explodes that bomb first.

Please check your moves and tell me about any mistakes you see.

Players, please don't submit commands until I post the final hold for cycle 3 in the "Hold Updates" topic.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-12-2005 05:50 PM]
10-12-2005 at 10:34 AM
eytanz
I'm in Germany until the weekend and thus away from my DROD-capable computer for a while. So, if anyone will be so kind as to post a screenshot, I'd be most thankful (no need for numbers since I know where I am (assuming I'm still alive)

10-12-2005 at 11:33 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548

File: screenshot.jpg (71.7 KB)
Downloaded 106 times.
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (+4)  
Here's your screenshot. Hope you enjoy it!!! (you killed me on the second move).
Good luck ;)
10-12-2005 at 12:13 PM
ErikH2000
wallu wrote:
I watched the hold and players #30 and #50 didn't move even they should have.
Thanks! I updated the hold in the original attachment above to fix these errors. Good thing, too, since the new movements result in two new kills.

-Erik

10-12-2005 at 05:52 PM
eytanz
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Here's your screenshot. Hope you enjoy it!!! (you killed me on the second move).
Good luck ;)

Thanks for the screenshot! And sorry for killing you... Oh wait, not really, especially since you would be alive if you didn't make a beeline at me :)

10-12-2005 at 06:43 PM
ErikH2000
I've decided to do all the hold updates. I think it will work out better that way for a number of reasons:
* Coordinating with someone else will add extra work--maybe the same or more as the time saved from having someone else do the update.
* I've learned a number of small techniques for speeding up the process from the first two updates. If someone else were to do a first update for them, they'd go through a similar learning process and take maybe 4 times as long as me.
* The task is just hard enough that I'm worried someone will take it on, have major difficulties, and feel a lot of unpleasant pressure over it. I don't want to put that on anyone.

What I would still like help on is...
* Checking the hold updates in this topic. If most people would check that their own commands have been performed correctly and those of the player's near them, we'd be covered here.
* Wallu's ranking updates are really great, and I'm hoping he keeps updating them.
* If people can continue posting screenshots on each cycle, that saves me a little time.

-Erik

10-12-2005 at 07:17 PM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
I have a small problem with the Draft Hold Eric posted: when I load it into JtRH it looks just like the beginning of cycle 2. This happened with Cycle 2's final as well, which is why I had a 5,5,5,5,5 round.

I therefore have no idea if I am still alive or where anyone else actually is.

Also how does one watch the moves?
10-12-2005 at 09:03 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (+1)  
Well, there was a problem with the holds, where Erik said you should delete the other holds from Cycle 1 before you import the newest one. This is because, I think, Erik used a different installation of JtRH to make a new hold version so it has the same name but is considered a different hold. So it is easiest to just delete them and start over.

To watch what happens, just play the hold and wait (press 5 or whatever your Wait key is) for the mimics to move around.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-12-2005 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mouse
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (+3)  
Thanks for the explanation Oneiromancer.
It's a pity I didn't know this last time, maybe I wouldn't be dead ....

BTW: the pic posted by Stephen4Louise is not right for at least one player (50).
10-13-2005 at 12:52 AM
ErikH2000
I actually posted a warning about the hold versions in the same topic.

But that's not to call you dumb or anything like that. There are a lot of rules and information in this game. It's very easy to miss something. Sorry you died, Mouse! Have some consolation rank points.

-Erik

10-13-2005 at 01:00 AM
Mouse
Hey, thanks for the rank points!

I did see the "delete the last hold" post & I did do that, but I didn't realise that I had to use "wait" to get the end of Cycle 1.

I went looking for a demo & when there wasn't one, I assumed I'd messed up. Then I ran out of time to re-download & re-import so I didn't send any commands in.

It's all irrelevent now. A question though, if no one suicides on the bomb in the middle right and someone gets killed by it do I get them on my kill list (I lit the fuse)?
10-13-2005 at 01:16 AM
ErikH2000
Mouse wrote:
A question though, if no one suicides on the bomb in the middle right and someone gets killed by it do I get them on my kill list (I lit the fuse)?
Yes, you do.

-Erik

10-13-2005 at 01:42 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Unfortunately, I believe that bomb is the one I suicided on. Sorry, Mouse, but I only got myself and one other person...and I definitely wouldn't have been in the area if I hadn't chosen to suicide there. Not sure about the other guy, but I think he was heading for safety before I blew him up.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-13-2005 at 01:48 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Cycle 2 Standings (+2)  
wallu wrote:
I had too much time and too less to do. The result of that is extremely unofficial standings. I put them inside secret tags to shorten the thread.

I've just updated the standings. If anything is incorrect, please tell me, and I'll edit it (with the exception of the ranking places, which I don't have time to fix right now. The relative positions are correct, however.

This cycle, in a nutshell...

Click here to view the secret text

And the standings are (copied from above)...

Oh, and Mouse, (#57), sorry I killed you.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 10-13-2005 10:12 PM]
10-13-2005 at 07:12 AM
eytanz
agaricus5 wrote:
wallu wrote:
I had too much time and too less to do. The result of that is extremely unofficial standings. I put them inside secret tags to shorten the thread.

I've just updated the standings. If anything is incorrect, please tell me, and I'll edit it (with the exception of the ranking places, which I don't have time to fix right now. The relative positions are correct, however.

I can't see the hold right now in DROD, but this can't be right - I´m 99% sure I killed #8. In fact, you list #8 as being dead, but you don't list anyone as killing him.

10-13-2005 at 09:18 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
eytanz wrote:
I can't see the hold right now in DROD, but this can't be right - I´m 99% sure I killed #8. In fact, you list #8 as being dead, but you don't list anyone as killing him.
Oof.

I completely overlooked you in that corner.

Sorry about that: I'll edit mine to copy Wallu's post from above, to correct my errors, and leave it to him/her to do the standings in future.

10-13-2005 at 10:10 PM
ErikH2000

File: Smite to the Death - Cycle 4.hold (10.4 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
This hold performs the cycle 3 commands and takes us to the start of cycle 4.

I've artificially shortened fuses in the same way as last cycle. All fuses are lit, although the room doesn't show it. Note that the bomb on the west side that has no fuse will explode at the end of the first turn of cycle 5. So unless you want to die in the blast, make sure your commands you are submitting now for cycle 4 leave you out of the blast radius for when cycle 5 begins. Well, unless you want to die.

My last two updates had bugs in them, so please check my work.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-14-2005 09:51 PM]
10-14-2005 at 08:48 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
There is no way I can win from here, I think.

Oh well, I shall not surrender!

10-14-2005 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Nobody found any mistakes in the hold? Not even the one I put there on purpose to make sure people were alert?

-Erik

10-14-2005 at 07:26 PM
Kevin
Rank Points: 262
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Note that the bomb on the west side that has no fuse will explode at the end of the first turn of cycle 5. So unless you want to die in the blast, make sure your commands you are submitting now for cycle 4 leave you out of the blast radius for when cycle 5 begins. Well, unless you want to die.

Wouldn't the bomb explode on the first turn of cycle 4? I thought that the fuse length represents the length at the end of cycle 3, which would mean that it should explode on the next turn.

ErikH2000 wrote:
Nobody found any mistakes in the hold? Not even the one I put there on purpose to make sure people were alert?

I think the southeast fuse is shorter than it should be. Since it wasn't lit at the beginning of the cycle, it shouldn't have been shortened by 5 squares. Instead, it should have stayed unlit until #49 lit it on the third turn of this cycle.
10-14-2005 at 08:54 PM
Page 2 of 8
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (Update hold drafts get posted here first.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com