Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (Update hold drafts get posted here first.)
Page 1 of 8
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (0)  
After I post the player moves for a cycle in the"Hold Updates" topic, the next step will be working on the hold update. That generally means updating the scripts of characters in the hold to match the submitted commands. After I (or whoever is working on the update) finishes, the hold will be posted here and left for people to review and catch mistakes. Ideally, the hold will be here waiting review at least 8 hours before the final version is posted in the "Hold Updates" topic.

Update Volunteers

I'm going to do the first cycle update and then post some instructions for other people to use for updating. I would like to schedule people to work on updates following. You would commit to doing just one update at a scheduled time. Check the cycle schedule in the "Hold Updates" topic and post here offering to perform an update. Then I will pencil you in. You should have a little experience with scripting in the level editor and be reasonably sure you can spend a half hour to an hour doing the update. The first cycles will require more time updating holds and then as people die off, it will be quicker to update scripts for fewer people.

Players

I expect many of you will come to this topic first to see movement results instead of waiting for the final hold to be posted in the "Hold Updates" topic. That's cool, but remember that the final hold may change, so if you plan your commands based on a draft hold, check them against the final hold to make sure they still do what you want.

I strongly recommend that you check that your commands and the commands of players near you are correctly performed in the draft holds posted here. Mistakes are permanent as soon as they are posted in the "Hold Updates" topic.

Any discussion that is not related to pre-update work should go in the main topic.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-08-2005 09:59 PM]
10-08-2005 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (0)  
I could do 1 update if I know what you mean by "little expirience in scripting". Do you just mean the normal thing (so that the numbers are displayed) ?

If yes, I am in.

Will I have to make a hold after each player turned once/twice/... or only the final version ?

10-08-2005 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Are we supposed to be using something like this for the scripts? (with the speech numbers added in at some point)

<Idea removed to reduce confusion>

Edit:
Thanks, Neil. I completely forgot the fuses. I thought that it would've been more clear to see separately what everyone was doing. No problem. It will be do-able anyway. (I guess it would've worked without fuses, though)

[Last edited by Doom at 10-09-2005 07:42 PM]
10-08-2005 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
There won't be any waiting of turns because then the fuses will burn down too quickly. The contestants are all placed in order...the scripts will just have 1 normal movement command per turn per person. The original placement ordering of the contestants will take care of the rest.

The people who do the updates will need to be very careful when modifying the scripts to be facing the correct direction, otherwise people will get rotated around and they'll have to look up what the original direction was. Fortunately since you're always modifying the initial hold, that won't be so tough to remember. But it's something to keep in mind!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-08-2005 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Ok, ill do it. Doesnt sound too hard. Could I do it on Monday ? (I think its the 3rd Cycle).

One question to Erik : 1am.. this means 1 hour after midnight ? A little late... Can I release it earlier ? (10pm ?) Or is there a way to let the forum do the job (with tags) ?

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 10-08-2005 09:03 PM]
10-08-2005 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I should have no trouble posting the hold preview a good 12 hours before the deadline, so count me in for creating the hold for sequence 5.
10-08-2005 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Ok, ill do it. Doesnt sound too hard. Could I do it on Monday ? (I think its the 3rd Cycle).
I'll put you down MeckMeck. Thanks!
One question to Erik : 1am.. this means 1 hour after midnight ? A little late... Can I release it earlier ? (10pm ?) Or is there a way to let the forum do the job (with tags) ?
Yes, anyone who works on an update will post it here first for review. And then I'll post it on the "Hold Updates" topic later. Generally, I'd like people to post their update within 16 hours of when the player commands are posted on the "Hold Updates" topic. But the earlier you post it, the better.

So for a concrete example, on the third cycle which you volunteered for, I would post all of the player commands people gave me for cycle 2 on the "Hold Updates" topic shortly after Local Time:10-12-2005 at 01:00 AM. You would then work on the hold update based on the command and post it here. I'm hoping you can get it posted here sometime before Local Time:10-12-2005 at 01:00 PM. And then it would sit here for about 8 hours to give people a chance to notice problems. Finally, I would post the hold on the "Hold Updates" topic at Local Time:10-13-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Makes sense?

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Alneyan wrote:
I should have no trouble posting the hold preview a good 12 hours before the deadline, so count me in for creating the hold for sequence 5.
Thanks, Alneyan! I put you down.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 10:12 PM
Alneyan
Doom wrote:
Monday is cycle 5, which Alneyan took already.

As far as I can tell, cycle 5 is pretty much Sunday, and not Monday. In GMT+2 times:
10/16/2005 2:00AM - Cycle 4 Command Deadline
10/17/2005 2:00AM - Cycle 5 Released (Alneyan)

So, work on the hold can start very early on Sunday, and is to be submitted two hours after midnight on Monday: the bulk of the work has to be done during Sunday's afternoon at the latest. Everyone west of GMT will have that cycle between Saturday and Sunday instead, and east of GMT gives Sunday and Monday: the further away from GMT, the less "Sundayish" it will be.
10-08-2005 at 10:38 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I see. I was simply looking at the wrong day. For some reason I thought that you would begin at "Cycle 5 released" when in fact it has to be ready by that time.

I really should to go to bed. Editing previous post to be correct.
10-08-2005 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
I can do cycle 6 for you. I work nights and sleep days. I'm off on Monday and Tuesday night, so I'll be home and awake all night which will allow me to get the update in well before 7AM.
10-09-2005 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
ErikH2000 wrote:
MeckMeck GRE wrote:

I would post all of the player commands people gave me for cycle 2 on the "Hold Updates" topic shortly after Local Time:10-12-2005 at 01:00 AM. You would then work on the hold update based on the command and post it here. I'm hoping you can get it posted here sometime before Local Time:10-12-2005 at 01:00 PM. And then it would sit here for about 8 hours to give people a chance to notice problems. Finally, I would post the hold on the "Hold Updates" topic at Local Time:10-13-2005 at 01:00 AM.

-Erik

In this 2 hours (11 o´clock to 13 o´clock) I am still at school. But I can do it to 15 o´clock. So the time to the deadline will still be 20 hours.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 10-09-2005 10:15 AM]
10-09-2005 at 10:13 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (+1)  
KevG wrote:
I can do cycle 6 for you. I work nights and sleep days. I'm off on Monday and Tuesday night, so I'll be home and awake all night which will allow me to get the update in well before 7AM.
Great! I'm signing you up!

For everybody here, any time you see me posting a date/time related to the contest, it is always timezone-adjusted using Schik's special tags. So as long as you have your timezone set correctly in your profile, the time will be shown in your timezone. I avoid saying that anything will be on "Thursday" or some other day of the week because it leads to confusion with timezones.

I am still madly in love with Schik's "localtime" and "untiltime" tags. They avoid so much work and misunderstanding for contests.

-Erik

10-09-2005 at 07:33 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
ErikH2000 wrote:
I am still madly in love with Schik's "localtime" and "untiltime" tags. They avoid so much work and misunderstanding for contests.
Yeah, they're great. I'd love them even more if I could avoid this crazy AM/PM thing when I've got 24-hour time selected in my profile, though :)

Edit: While I'm at it, a Day.Month.Year date format option would be nice too.

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 10-09-2005 08:08 PM]
10-09-2005 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (+2)  
trick wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
Yeah, they're great. I'd love them even more if I could avoid this crazy AM/PM thing when I've got 24-hour time selected in my profile, though :)
You officially love them more now.
Edit: While I'm at it, a Day.Month.Year date format option would be nice too.
Blargh. Yeah, that'd be nice. I'll try to get to it at some point, but will likely forget about it until you bug me about it next time :P.

10-09-2005 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Schik wrote:
trick wrote:
You officially love them more now.
It's true! I do! Thank you, forum monkey!

...you know, not that I'm complaining or anything after your very fine work, but 2 AM in the 24-hour format is usually written 02:00, not 2:00, so I'd be absolutely extatic if you smacked in an extra zero there for the wee hours. Just mentionin'.

- Gerry
10-09-2005 at 11:01 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
trick wrote:
...you know, not that I'm complaining or anything after your very fine work, but 2 AM in the 24-hour format is usually written 02:00, not 2:00, so I'd be absolutely extatic if you smacked in an extra zero there for the wee hours. Just mentionin'.
:yahoo: <= ecstatic Gerry.

[Last edited by Schik at 10-10-2005 02:12 AM]
10-10-2005 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
That emoticon reminds me of a muppet.

"This is what we call The Muppet Shooow!"

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 10-10-2005 03:07 AM]
10-10-2005 at 02:57 AM
trick
:8bounce

- Gerry, resident penguinoid muppet
10-10-2005 at 03:14 AM
ErikH2000

File: Smite to the Death - Cycle 2.hold (5.2 KB)
Downloaded 123 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's the first one. Please take a look for mistakes.

-Erik

10-10-2005 at 10:03 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
A couple of fuses that were stepped on didn't ignite. The ones I noticed are at 32,7 and 18,12.
10-10-2005 at 10:41 AM
Alneyan
They look fine here. 18,12 was stepped on early in the sequence, and works fine, and 32,7 was stepped on in the fourth turn, and also works fine.
10-10-2005 at 10:47 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548

File: screenshot.jpg (97.6 KB)
Downloaded 114 times.
License: Public Domain
Strange. See my screenshot showing the state of play after everyone has moved, the only fuses that are lit are ones ignited by bomb blasts.

EDIT : Forget it, I forgot to patch my install on this PC! O:-

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 10-10-2005 11:27 AM]
10-10-2005 at 10:57 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Hey, neat, I'm not dead. Always worth applauding, I feel.

10-10-2005 at 02:03 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Arg... First time I've been without internet access in years and I miss the first cycle. Now I'm dead. Doh!

Oh well. Good luck everybody.

10-10-2005 at 02:20 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I'm afraid to say I think there is a problem. (At least if I understand the rules correctly)

Observe VortexSurfer and RoboBob3000, aka agents #9 and #32

On move 3, the two noble warriors rendezvous at a bomb. #9 is to the north with sword to the SE. #32 is to the west with sword SW.

..V.
.RB\\
/...

Now, on move 4, #9 wants to move SW. It is blocked, but due to the way character movement happens, he moves W instead. The sword hits the bomb which explodes, killing the two aforementioned swordsmen as well as #10 (whoever that is) to the south.

As I understand it, we should be acting as Beethro (and Wubbas :)) do - if the square we wish to move to is blocked we remain where we are, even if it is on a diagonal.

So, #9 should remain still on turn 4 and the bomb should explode on turn 5 (when #9 turns to face south). In this all important turn, #10 will have run screaming like a girl out of the bomb radius and so should still be alive. Um... I think #31 might be dead instead. :(

10-10-2005 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Woo-hoo, first blood to me! This is surely a good omen of things to come! :evil:

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-10-2005 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Darn it! Oh well, there'll be more games in the future. Good job, NekoIncardine -- if I'm going to be killed by anyone, it may as well be someone I don't know. Now I don't want my death to be in vain, so you better win the contest!

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
10-10-2005 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Rabscuttle wrote:
So, #9 should remain still on turn 4 and the bomb should explode on turn 5 (when #9 turns to face south). In this all important turn, #10 will have run screaming like a girl out of the bomb radius and so should still be alive. Um... I think #31 might be dead instead. :(

Actually, the rules aren't very clear on this. And there are two issues in question: the resolving of movement conflict issues, and the timing of bomb blasts.

Assuming you are right about the movement conflict, #31 (a.k.a me) only moves into the bomb radius on turn 5. #10 moves out of the bomb radius in the same turn. However, #9, moving before either of them, will explode the bomb. So, the question is - do bomb explosions happen immediately after a movement, or only once at the end of the turn? If it's the former, than the current map is correct. If it's the latter, then #10 survives and I do not. I was assuming it's the former, but maybe I'm wrong about this.

Now, the rules aren't actually very clear about either of these issues. In fact, they make reference to "the "physics" of mimic NPCs." Nowhere does it say that the characters will use Beethro movement rules. But it's not clear that that wasn't the intention.

As for the timing issue, there's no word about it in the rules.

To reiterate, #10 dies and #31 survives if either the scripted movement blockage rules are used, OR bomb timing is immediate. If the Beethro movement blockage rules are used, and end-of-turn bomb timing, then #10 survives and #31 dies.

10-10-2005 at 05:08 PM
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
Assuming you are right about the movement conflict, #31 (a.k.a me) only moves into the bomb radius on turn 5. #10 moves out of the bomb radius in the same turn. However, #9, moving before either of them, will explode the bomb. So, the question is - do bomb explosions happen immediately after a movement, or only once at the end of the turn?
Bomb explosions occur immediately after the movement. It's the only practical way to script it.
Now, the rules aren't actually very clear about either of these issues. In fact, they make reference to "the "physics" of mimic NPCs." Nowhere does it say that the characters will use Beethro movement rules. But it's not clear that that wasn't the intention.
If your character is unable to move into the square you commanded him, he should not move at all. I corrected many scripting problems like this, but I guess I didn't get all of them. Pointing out these specific mistakes is welcome.

-Erik

10-10-2005 at 05:25 PM
Page 1 of 8
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death - Pre-Update Work (Update hold drafts get posted here first.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com