Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death (Our contest for October.)
<<2345
Page 6 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smite to the Death (0)  
I was going to give the kill(s) to whoever lit the fuse. If you die in your own blast, you get your own kill too.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 05:15 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Because this plays into my strategy - are movement submissions made privately or publically?

10-08-2005 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
Because this plays into my strategy - are movement submissions made privately or publically?
Privately submitted through e-mail and posted all at one time publicly.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
ErikH2000 wrote:
I was going to give the kill(s) to whoever lit the fuse. If you die in your own blast, you get your own kill too.

-Erik

I probably shouldn't complain, since I'm pretty close to a fuse, but that's pretty unfair to the people who start far from a fuse, since they're unlikely to get a chance to light one.

10-08-2005 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
It's hard to say for certain now, but I think the fuse tips are fool's gold.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 05:50 AM
Leus
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 204
That rooms is actually really cool and well-crafted. Nice work.

Also, I like your supply room.

10-08-2005 at 05:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
So, which email are we emailing, and are we using fancy subject titles?

Also, it's notable that almost like in every other contest thus far, I'm right in the middle rankwise.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 10-08-2005 05:58 AM]
10-08-2005 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Yeah, I think there will be ample time to avoid the bombs, plus there's the risk of other people trying to light the fuses with their swords, if you get my drift.
10-08-2005 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Banjooie wrote:
So, which email are we emailing, and are we using fancy subject titles?
I'll give instructions about it tomorrow.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 06:13 AM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
I wonder if it's possible to raid Erik's supply room next door for some extra bombs :sneaky

[Last edited by Andy101 at 10-08-2005 09:06 AM]
10-08-2005 at 09:04 AM
RuAdam
Rank Points: 157
I really like the design of the room, but I have a question. Shoudn't the right entrance to the middel part be made of normal floor instead of trapdoors? (or the left entrance shoud be made of trapdoors instead of normal floor)

[Last edited by RuAdam at 10-08-2005 09:16 AM]
10-08-2005 at 09:16 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Hey, Erik,

Aren't those fuse lengths in the storage room a bit wrong? I think I heard somewhere that one tile in DROD is 5 feet long. Clearly the ends of a fuse are only half of that. So the fuses in your 20-foot room should be only 15 feet long and the fuses in the 30-foot room should be only 25 feet long.

Oh, and there's one fuse that's longer than the others in the 20-foot room.
10-08-2005 at 10:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
A small suggestion: any chance you could upload the current position as, say, a jpg image as well as a hold file? I would probably find it faster to load an image rather than load DROD, import the hold, etc. Probably would be a hassle to have the numbering on the image though. If its easy, then it would be cool :)
10-08-2005 at 10:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: smiteclub.JPG (183.6 KB)
Downloaded 146 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+2)  
Here's one I prepared earlier.

*too big to insert nicely*

It's from the first hold posted, so #57's sword should be facing the middle.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 10-08-2005 10:53 AM]
10-08-2005 at 10:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Leus
Rank Points: 204
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+1)  
Apparently I replaced all the players with guards and put the entrance at position 22 and tried for like an hour to beat the room. I barely got ten moves at any given time.

I have no life.

10-08-2005 at 11:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+1)  
Did you, by any chance, keep getting killed by the guard at position 23? 'Cause that'd be super.

10-08-2005 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
ErikH2000 wrote:
If a player has one of his moves blocked, he won't end up on the square he originally intended. What if the player hits a bomb with his sword? Will this be treated the same as lighting the fuse and the player will at least get credit for his own kill?
10-08-2005 at 05:27 PM
ErikH2000
RuAdam wrote:
I really like the design of the room, but I have a question. Shoudn't the right entrance to the middel part be made of normal floor instead of trapdoors?
Yes, you're right. Thanks! I'll fix this in the contest hold that gets posted later today.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 06:27 PM
ErikH2000
Doom wrote:
Aren't those fuse lengths in the storage room a bit wrong? I think I heard somewhere that one tile in DROD is 5 feet long.
Clearly the ends of a fuse are only half of that. So the fuses in your 20-foot room should be only 15 feet long and the fuses in the 30-foot room should be only 25 feet long.
I dunno. The guy at the store said they were 20 and 30 feet.
Oh, and there's one fuse that's longer than the others in the 20-foot room.
Dammit! Who's been messing with my fuses? I was very clear that I didn't want anything touched in my supply room.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 06:31 PM
ErikH2000
KevG wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
If a player has one of his moves blocked, he won't end up on the square he originally intended. What if the player hits a bomb with his sword? Will this be treated the same as lighting the fuse and the player will at least get credit for his own kill?
If you stab a bomb, you get the kill. Yes, this means that suiciding can be beneficial.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 06:32 PM
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
We e-mail our moves to your listed e-mail account, correct, Erik?

10-09-2005 at 09:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
To contests@caravelgames.com, if thats the one you're meaning. Full details in the other thread here.
10-09-2005 at 09:08 AM
Banjooie
There are a disturbing number of one-turn kills available, and relatively unstoppable ones too.
10-09-2005 at 06:49 PM
ErikH2000
Banjooie wrote:
There are a disturbing number of one-turn kills available, and relatively unstoppable ones too.
Really? I figured people had an opportunity to move out of the way in every case. Am I wrong?

-Erik

10-09-2005 at 07:01 PM
Banjooie
Well, okay. It /seems/ to me that certain people can straight 5 with no difficulties, while others are a guaranteed kill. I think I misunderstood here. I'll still email you a list because, uh, completionist. Or something.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 10-09-2005 07:26 PM]
10-09-2005 at 07:12 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Banjooie...are you confused about the cycle issue? It's not player 1 gets 5 moves, then player 2, etc....it's player 1 moves 1 move, then player 2 moves 1 move, etc., all the way around to player 1 again. So the only way you can guarantee a 1-turn kill is if you know someone isn't moving at all (or know their real moves, somehow).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-09-2005 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Yeah, thus the misunderstanding. It occurred to me while I was writing the email using the forum function (which I had to send a bug report in for, etc) that I was being a moron. My bad.
10-09-2005 at 07:37 PM
ErikH2000
Banjooie wrote:
Yeah, thus the misunderstanding. It occurred to me while I was writing the email using the forum function (which I had to send a bug report in for, etc) that I was being a moron. My bad.
Heh. You had me scared for a minute. I will say that after looking at some of the first cycle moves, there are some dramatic surprises in store.

If this contest goes wonky and unbalanced for some reason, I ask for everyone's forgiveness in advance. It is really hard to predict everything that might come up in the first run of a 57-player game. Be prepared for terrible travesties of justice. This is an experiment as much as a contest.

-Erik

10-09-2005 at 07:41 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Stephen4Louise wrote:
I'm in and I bid 3 kills

Hey! Welcome finally to the boards! I've seen you all over the high score tables for a while now. Hope you stick around!

I'm always around keeping an eye on what's going on. This sounds like far too much fun to miss out on.

My moves have been submitted, so fingers crossed I'll still be there next round!!
10-09-2005 at 07:46 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Please add "Invincibility On" at the top of the script for character #04. Thank you, Most Exalted Creator.

And don't worry about us. We are only surrounding you, with all our swords pointing in your direction, but we *are* peaceful folks. Honest.
10-09-2005 at 07:47 PM
<<2345
Page 6 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death (Our contest for October.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com