Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death (Our contest for October.)
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+1)  
Here's a simple solution to the turn order conundrum:

We want to avoid double moves while still making it so the same player doesn't always get the "first" move. Why not just keep moving through the initial order, but for every cycle, have the first player submit six moves instead of five, and then start the next cycle with the next player. This makes the first player's "informed" move an "uninformed" one.

Much simpler that order swapping, IMO.

10-05-2005 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Smite to the Death (0)  
techant wrote:
PS - go watch those films from the last contest and vote while you are waiting for this one to start.
Exactly. We really need some more votes there to break up the ties. People, go watch! Go vote!

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 01:34 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+1)  
I'm in! (for once) Here's to surviving the first wave...

Rules seem very similar to Laser Squad Nemesis, except for the lack of ummmm.... lasers or squads :D
10-05-2005 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
RoboBob3000 wrote:
We want to avoid double moves while still making it so the same player doesn't always get the "first" move. Why not just keep moving through the initial order, but for every cycle, have the first player submit six moves instead of five, and then start the next cycle with the next player. This makes the first player's "informed" move an "uninformed" one.
So on cycle #1, player #1 submits 6 commands. His first 5 commands will be performed, and 1 will be left over for the next cycle. On this cycle, his commands are performed first in sequence for each turn.

On cycle #2, player #1 submits 4 commands. His 6th command submitted on cycle #1 would be performed in this cycle, followed by the 4 commands submitted on cycle #2. On this cycle, his commands are performed last in sequence for each turn. (Player #2 begins first, and it goes in ascending order, until it loops back to player #1.)

Did I get that right?

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Agaricus5 wrote:
Hmm... That sounds like a good idea, although it would allow a double move to occur if each cycle begins by following the order in contrary motion to the last turn.
I'm thinking we scrap the contrary motion part since the 1st movement advantage will shift around and be given to most people. We really should keep this simple, even if it has to be a little unfair.
Perhaps what would be better is the opposite of what you have, basically a shift of players from the front to the back, along with inversions and swappings through the turns.
I think it's too complicated. If we had a computer handling all the move updates then I might be persuaded. Also, if player's can't keep the movement order straight (or need to do a lot of work) it will kill the fun.

Oh! I have another idea that should make the move sequencing very, very simple. Hold on for another post.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 03:29 AM
ErikH2000
Okay, I thought about this, and the rules are taking a dramatic turn right now...

There will be no tricky scheme for changing the movement sequence each cycle or turn. It will be fixed from the game's start. If you are player #1, then you will always go first on each cycle until you are eliminated. If you are player #13, then you will always go thirteenth on each cycle (or earlier as players between #1 and #12 are eliminated). There will be a definite advantage in going earlier instead of later. The question is: how much is it worth?

Each entrant places a bid for a number of kills. That bid will be a handicap that is subtracted from his final kill count. Sequence is assigned based on bid and how early your bid is in. If you bid 5 kills and nobody else bids that much, then you are player #1. If you bid 5 kills after somebody else that also bid 5 kills, then you will be after him. If you don't bid at all, then that's the same as bidding 0, and your placement will be based on when you declared your intent to enter the contest. Earlier declarers get higher placement.

So we're doing this... now! Everybody that entered, please make a bid that will decide your placement. If you haven't entered yet, but want to, then you can include a bid along with your entry if you wish. You can bid more than once, but any bid you make must be higher than your previously made bid.

Bidding ends on the same deadline I set for declaring yourself as an entrant. Please don't bid unless you're 99% sure you'll be in the contest.

I'm going back up to the top post to revise rules.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 03:44 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Interesting....

I make my first bid of 0 kills.
10-05-2005 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I'll match that bid of 0 kills.

10-05-2005 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
I'll see your 0 kills and raise you 0.
10-05-2005 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Note that those two bids are technically not allowed (although I appreciate them :) ). By entering, you already bidded 0. You can only bid again if you raise your bid.

I revised the main rules at the top. They may explain things more clearly.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 04:00 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Okay suckers, I bid 1 kill.

10-05-2005 at 04:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
Fine then. 3. I bid 3.
10-05-2005 at 04:04 AM
Leus
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 204
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+3)  
I created an example of a multiplayer DROD room just for fun and to show some possible potential of this idea becoming an actual game element:

I had fun...

Anyway, I bid 1 kill. I'm going to laugh when I end up with -1 as my final score.

10-05-2005 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Is it too late to join?
Anyways, can i bid something like -200 so i go last with no kill handicap?
Also, I like the room. One idea is that the first round is easy (if we have multiple rounds) and they get harder to maneauver. I also would like to see some ideas combined.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 10-05-2005 04:15 AM : The last post came out just as I posted, so I wanted to respond]
10-05-2005 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Alright, for purposes of illustration, as I write this the current turn sequence is:
#1 - Abyzzmal
#2 - Schik
#3 - Leus
#4,5,6,7... in the same order as they declared their intent to enter the contest.

Leus, I'm coming back to give that pic a full consideration.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 04:10 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Hmm... I raise my bid to 2 kills.
10-05-2005 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I'll bid 2 kills.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-05-2005 at 04:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Someone Else wrote:
Is it too late to join?
No, you have until the deadline which is this weekend. See top post for the exact time converted to your timezone.
Anyways, can i bid something like -200 so i go last with no kill handicap?
You currently have a bid of zero and will get to go last as long as nobody else also enters without specifying a higher bid. :thumbsup Sorry, you can't negative bid.
Also, I like the room. One idea is that the first round is easy (if we have multiple rounds) and they get harder to maneauver. I also would like to see some ideas combined.
Yeah, I like Leus' room too, and may steal some ideas from it.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 05:14 AM
ErikH2000
Current sequence:

#1 - Abbyzzmal (3 kills)
#2 - Rabscuttle (2 kills)
#3 - Oneiromancer (2 kills)
#4 - Schik (1 kill)
#5 - Leus (1 kill)
#6+ - Others, in order of their declared entry.

I won't keep posting updates, but I thought it would be nice to show a concrete example of how placement works.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 05:18 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I am sure we are going to have some deathmatches of our own in the Forum Games board after this contest is done. I'd like to host one of my own, actually, if I have the time then.

I do wish to emphasize after this contest is done. I don't want to see any deathmatches popping up until the inaugural one has finished and a winner is declared. We're watching you!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-05-2005 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I'll go with 2 kills.
10-05-2005 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I bid 2 kills, and my pants.

(edit: It's the 1 minute post difference between me and TripleM that gonna let him kick my butt by going before me. :))

[Last edited by ClaytonW at 10-05-2005 05:33 AM]
10-05-2005 at 05:32 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I bid no fewer than three kills. Does suicide count?
10-05-2005 at 06:12 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I bid one tenth of a kill.
10-05-2005 at 06:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Everybody's gotta be a wiseguy. :angry

-Erik (not really upset)

10-05-2005 at 07:03 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'll bid 1 kill. I've got a strategy.

Which will be negated by being killed in the first turn, mind, but a strategy all the same.

10-05-2005 at 07:16 AM
Crazy Ivan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
I'd like to enter this contest,

I bid 0 kills.

Kind regards,

Michael
10-05-2005 at 10:49 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
I bid... 4 kills :glasses
10-05-2005 at 10:49 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
I bid...

One kill to rule them all, one kill to find them,
one kill to bring them all and in the darkness...
well, kill them*.

* Which doesn't really make sense, but hey.

- Gerry
10-05-2005 at 01:46 PM
vittro
Rank Points: 479
Please i wanna partecipate!!! How i can go multiplayer? Internet? There are a DROD : MULTIPLAYER? I want partecipate please!

10-05-2005 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death (Our contest for October.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com