Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Longer-lasting line of sight for eyes
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
IP: Logged
icon Longer-lasting line of sight for eyes (0)  
Currently, when you double click on an eye, its line of sight appears for a few seconds. Would it be possible to increase the length of that display? I think it does not last long enough at the moment (especially with alpha blending on), and it makes it almost impossible to check the LOS of two eyes simultaneously.
10-01-2005 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Strabo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
icon Re: Longer-lasting line of sight for eyes (0)  
Or, even better, have it function the same way it does in the editor: Clicking on an eye shows the line of sights for all the eyes until you click somewheer else or press a key.
10-17-2005 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I cannot begin to comprehend how easy that would make eye mazes.
10-18-2005 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Banjooie wrote:
I cannot begin to comprehend how easy that would make eye mazes.

Yeah. Spiders suffered the same fate in JTRH - and now they're broken. I no longer have to stare at the screen until they blink. Entire branch of strategies is gone. I had to remove from my hold all the spider rooms I imported from my AE hold.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 10-18-2005 08:30 AM]
10-18-2005 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
"Entire branch of strategies"? Considering that the spider was basically just a roach that you had to play Where's Waldo with, I wouldn't call the JtRH improvements broken. There actually IS an "entire branch of strategies" now for dealing with them. They at least have an actual place now, and that's the role of sequels - to build on the original game, excising weaknesses and capitalising on strengths.

I wouldn't mind the line of sight display sticking around for a bit longer, but I'd have objections to having all the eyes display. "As simple as possible, but no simpler."

10-18-2005 at 10:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Longer-lasting line of sight for eyes (+1)  
I believe b0rsuk was displaying that mean thing called "irony" - though of course, it's always difficult to recognise irony when you see it on a message board (I'd prefer a massage board myself).

Eyeballs seem pretty much like orbs otherwise: you can know what one orb does until you hit the Undo key or click on another orb, so why not do the same thing for the eyes? The orb feature has not destroyed orb puzzles, or rather, it has broken some of the sillier puzzles, like the infamous "100 orbs, only one is working. Guess which one it is" (or milder "try again" puzzles).

The undo feature is also a problem for those eye mazes: if you step into the LOS of an eye, just hit the Undo key and all is fine. That alone makes eye mazes pretty much non-functional in Rooted Hold IMO. And if you make a point of not using Undo in these situations, I guess you aren't too fond of Orb-clicking (or Eye-clicking) to begin with.

That being said, seeing all eyes at the same thing seem to be going a bridge too far, as it basically displays the solution to most eye puzzles right on screen. Even then though, I'm not sure if staring at the screen to check those line of sight is really what makes eyes a useful puzzle element.
10-18-2005 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, I dunno how many eyemazes there've been, but...yeah.

I'm not opposed to 'line of sight stays up until undo or eye kill', though.
10-18-2005 at 05:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Longer-lasting line of sight for eyes
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com