Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon : 6-Snaketum : 3 South, 1 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
IP: Logged
icon Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon : 6-Snaketum : 3 South, 1 West (0)  
What's the first course at Smitemaster 101? Roach-slaying! Yet, I cannot seem to figure out how to kill the pack of roaches in that room:

The mimic goes in 1, and cannot step over the trap door yet; the orb releasing the roaches is in 2. Multiple approaches ended up with the same result: that is, a lot of dead roaches, and some Delver puree. Any hint on how to kill them? Thanks.
09-21-2005 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jameslm
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
icon Re: Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon : 6-Snaketum : 3 South, 1 West (+2)  
this required a lot of trial and error.

start like this...

Click here to view the secret text

move by move description after this...

after this the rest will be lined up for you.

09-22-2005 at 04:04 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon : 6-Snaketum : 3 South, 1 West (0)  
I didn't think about putting the mimic there: I guess I thought it couldn't work (silly). Thanks for your help!
09-22-2005 at 08:24 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
I have a serpent management question on this one. I've solved everything else in the room, but one of the four serpents is still going in circles in the big room, and frustratingly it never goes further south than one tile north of the little Death Niche.

I assume I have to kill all four before crossing the force arrows out of that area, but how do you get a serpent (in a rectangular room) to go where you need it? Even if I ignore the mimic trapdoor problem, I can't get the population below two before leaving the area.

Is there a cheap trick about this room, or do I just need a few months' trial and error?
09-29-2005 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Cascade
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
Znirk wrote:
how do you get a serpent (in a rectangular room) to go where you need it? Even if I ignore the mimic trapdoor problem, I can't get the population below two before leaving the area.
Is there a cheap trick about this room, or do I just need a few months' trial and error?
Dunno about cheap tricks, but you could do with learning more about how serpents move. There is method in their madness! There are lots of threads already on the movement habits of serpents - I guess I know how they behave, now, but I still wouldn't say I find it intuitive to manipulate them. A starter question for you:

09-29-2005 at 02:25 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I assume I have to kill all four before crossing the force arrows out of that area, but how do you get a serpent (in a rectangular room) to go where you need it? Even if I ignore the mimic trapdoor problem, I can't get the population below two before leaving the area.

I think that its probably easiest if you kill all but one of the snakes before leaving their area. (This was my solution).

You ARE going to have to use the "death niche" (nice term, btw) to kill the last snake. But there's this little quirk to snake movement that makes it impossible (or very very difficult) to lure a snake into a death niche on the west wall of a room or area. North/South/East walls - piece of cake. West walls are hard.

With all that said, my solution came after a great deal of thought and understanding of snake movements. This room is near impossible if you don't understand snakes very very well. I don't remember the exact combination, but its a one-off shot. You have to be ready to execute it before you move into the roach area and you only get one shot. I'll look at my demo when I get home and see if I can post more concrete hints.

Basically, you need to get the snake set up near the top right of his area, and take advantage of the 5-move cycle that snakes go through to make sure that he has time to move horizontally and vertically before hitting the wall.

[Last edited by stigant at 09-29-2005 03:09 PM]
09-29-2005 at 03:08 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Well, in the end it turned out that this was a job for Captain Coincidence :batman. I left the serpent room with two beasties alive and following me, then when I wasn't looking one of them trapped the other in the top left corner (killing it) and went back south along the wall. That way it was one step further south than on the ordinary circuit and only turned back into the horizontal when the niche was an option. Since I was at its west at the time, the problem took care of itself. <shrug>

Any recommendations for holds to work on serpent skills? There was this one level where the map layout makes a serpent image, but that was full of nice non-rectangular rooms, with walls to help align the little bastards.
09-30-2005 at 10:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
stigant wrote:
North/South/East walls - piece of cake. West walls are hard.

I never even realized that when I designed the room, but I guess it's a good thing, since it adds to the difficulty. What is the reason for the quirk anyway? If west walls are hard, why not east walls?

-Noah

My stuff:

10-01-2005 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Cascade
Rank Points: 46
icon Re: Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon : 6-Snaketum : 3 South, 1 West (+2)  
NoahT wrote:
stigant wrote:
North/South/East walls - piece of cake. West walls are hard.

I never even realized that when I designed the room, but I guess it's a good thing, since it adds to the difficulty. What is the reason for the quirk anyway? If west walls are hard, why not east walls?

-Noah
It's due to the way snakes move.

10-01-2005 at 12:12 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I knew they did that, but it never clicked in my head. I'm impressed.

10-01-2005 at 02:14 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon : 6-Snaketum : 3 South, 1 West (+4)  
Znirk wrote:
Any recommendations for holds to work on serpent skills?
Tim's hold Penthouse is good for learning a few tricks. It's very educational, unless you solve the rooms by trial and error and never think about why it worked the way it did.

10-01-2005 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
deftriver
Rank Points: 75
Does anyone have a demo of the snake part? I just can't get the last one.
08-13-2008 at 03:22 PM
leefa
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
I can't kill the last serpent in the big serpent room. I need a demo

12-15-2009 at 09:46 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon : 6-Snaketum : 3 South, 1 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com