Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Slight change to mimics
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged
icon Slight change to mimics (0)  
One thing I\'ve always noticed with mimics is that when you move diagonally and they can\'t, they\'ll move up or down or right or left instead. I can\'t recall any room where that was needed, so is it possible to change this so that if they can\'t move diagonally, they don\'t move at all?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
02-17-2003 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
icon Re: Slight change to mimics (0)  
Malarame wrote:
I can\'t recall any room where that was needed...
Wow, really? I seem to recall this being one of the main things that got me through level 22 (the one where you need to control many mimics at once). Maybe you\'ve got a different playing style than me, because I think I\'d be lost without this mimic behavior. (Maybe I\'ll have to go back and see if my recollection is right.)

02-17-2003 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
I definitely used that maneuver to my advantage throughout the game. Sometimes you have to move diagonally, and I think it was absolutely necessary in 1S of L22. I dig the mimic move.

02-17-2003 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Malarame wrote:
I can\'t recall any room where that was needed, so is it possible to change this so that if they can\'t move diagonally, they don\'t move at all?
Generally, we try to keep the behaviour of game elements the same.

If we change the way mimics work, then somebody (probably Clayton ;) ) has to replay all the rooms with mimics again to make sure they can still be solved.

And then there is the problem of people being used to things working a certain way. Being able to predict what happens after you press the key is fundamental to the game. I don\'t like to invalidate people\'s hard-earned DROD intuition.

There are probably going to be a few exceptions to the no-change principle in future releases, but I\'m biased against changing existing elements.

-Erik

02-18-2003 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
icon Re: Re: Slight change to mimics (0)  
erikh2000 wrote:
If we change the way mimics work, then somebody (probably Clayton ;) ) has to replay all the rooms with mimics again to make sure they can still be solved.

Aaa! Not level 22... No way. I won\'t do it!

02-27-2003 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
I\'m with Clayton. I hate level 22. In fact, that\'s currently as far as I am in Caravel DROD. I haven\'t been trying very much lately cuz I don\'t like that level at all.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
02-27-2003 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Re: Slight change to mimics (0)  
Malarame wrote:
I\'m with Clayton. I hate level 22.
Man, I love that level. What kind of levels do you like more?

02-27-2003 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Slight change to mimics
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com