Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Experts Callenge
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged

File: Experts Challenge.hold (8.3 KB)
Downloaded 146 times.
License: Other
icon Experts Callenge (+3)  
Well here is a new game... Yayy. Ahhh Good Luck.

I wish that man would stay away
09-06-2005 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Experts Callenge (+1)  
This is very enjoyable so far.

A couple of things:

Click here to view the secret text

Edit - oh, yes, I forgot a couple:

One final edit - I promise :D
09-07-2005 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
icon Re: Experts Callenge (-2)  
First of all.
i give your hold a rating of 0
since i am only able too see one room. wich is very poorly made due to the fact that it's impossible.
secondly what the **** are you talking about TripleM?
You need to cause bombs above Bethro to explode how else can you cause the tar gate to open???

-Insane

Edit:
Sorry for this post....
I wasn't quite as used to caravelforum as i am now... and.... umm... well.....
I was quite frustrated due to personal issues at the time, and i went cocobananas.
I admit it was quite rude for me to say such things.

-The New Insane O:-

[Last edited by Insane at 03-18-2006 11:47 AM : sorry]
09-07-2005 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
icon Re: Experts Callenge (-2)  
*Bump*
Plz tell me how to drop the Tar gate without setting off ANY of the bombs above Beethros starting point

-Insane
09-07-2005 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Experts Callenge (0)  
Why would you want to do that?

Also, don't double-post because no-one answered you in two hours time.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-07-2005 05:42 PM]
09-07-2005 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: Experts Callenge (+1)  
Hey, dont do double posts, and dont make so fast ! This hold is certainly not a zero... it might be challenging but not impossible. Help :

You need the bombs to drop the tar gate ! A small help

1.) Read the scroll. It tells you the fuse time of the bombs you can active by stepping on the "mosaic floor". (The gate next to the floor indicates the fuse time)

2.) Test carefully what "mosaic floor" triggers what bomb.

3.) Now your aims are : Open the tar gate ; then open the red gate ; dont close the exit door or the yellow wall in the downer left corner.

4.) Trigger the bombs in the right order.

Hint :

Hint :

09-07-2005 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Experts Callenge (+2)  
I have to agree, though, that I rather dislike the guesswork involved in the Entrance. It took me a while to work out what the scroll actually meant (it signified a delay in making a bomb explode), and then I had to guess which square did what. If it was better explained, then I guess it would have been better as a puzzle, although it might just be possible to design it so that you can use fuses instead of scripting (or at least have visible characters).

I also managed to explore 1E, and there appear to be scripting inconsistencies in the way bombs explode (you can actually move nearer some bombs than others), which suggests you need to investigate your "Wait for Player at..." commands. Also, I found it reasonably annoying to have to guess where not to step, as there were no floor squares marked, or even visible, so my advice would be to show where blast radii are on the floor, or at least change the flooring to the normal type. The challenge should be to deal with the monsters in the room without getting blown up, not to have to guess where the trigger areas are, in my opinion.

Fixing the Guard appearance problem I believe is relatively easy, although a bit tedious. You need to convert all the Guard scripts that you have to loops that check whether Beethro is in either of the trigger areas, and which then only make the Guard appear if Beethro steps near the bombs, not if they have been triggered. Something like this should work:

Label Start
If... Go to Label Proximity Trigger
Wait for Beethro at ... (area near bomb)
If... Go to Label Room Clear
Wait for Beethro at ... (grass/entire room trigger)
Wait 1 turn
Go to Label Start
Label Proximity Trigger
Appear
Disappear
End (Just for neatness; it's not necessary)
Label Room Clear
(Nothing required after here - this will effectively end the script while still allowing it to run on the next time you enter the room)

Basically the first loop checks for Beethro in the two areas that can trigger the bombs. If he isn't there, the script waits one turn, and then goes back to start the check again on the next turn (if you don't use the 1 turn delay, you will get an infinite loop). If Beethro stands near the bomb, it will then explode (the character will appear and disappear), and if he triggers all of the bombs to explode, then the Guards will have detected this and won't appear afterwards.

1N 1E looked a bit interesting (I haven't had time to finish it), although I really didn't get the point of some of the scripting in the northern area. Also, positioning the rattlesnakes was a bit annoying, but I the fact that it's not on a timer makes it reasonable.

So... umm... It's interesting, but at present, I can't really say that I particularly like the hold (although I'll play a few more rooms first before making a final decision about it).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 09-07-2005 08:44 PM]
09-07-2005 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
You've discovered a very very interesting usage of master walls. I didn't ever know that when dropped, they could be used as a "Beethro-only" square (save for the seeps). Lots of puzzle potential dripping from that. Other architects should take note of this property.

09-07-2005 at 10:36 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
RoboBob3000 wrote:
You've discovered a very very interesting usage of master walls. I didn't ever know that when dropped, they could be used as a "Beethro-only" square (save for the seeps). Lots of puzzle potential dripping from that. Other architects should take note of this property.
Actually, it's slightly surprising that you didn't know about that, since it has been discussed quite a few times (although you may not have been around at the time of the discussions). Basically, they act exactly like closed yellow doors that can be entered at any time, so will block everything except Seeps and Evil eye vision when you stand on them. This is an intentional design, since as Master Walls can only be dropped once, permanently, the developers didn't want rooms to be made impossible and therefore uncompletable by this effect (or you'd need to start the whole hold again).

As an element, it is interesting and could be used in some rather novel ways (like in "The Fool's Errand"), although they are probably reasonably limited. However, as they break the rules of DROD like blue doors (but much worse), I'd personally avoid using them too frequently as puzzle elements; that wasn't what they were intended for, and require you to keep in mind the effects of dropping the doors over several rooms (or even many, depending on the room layout).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 09-07-2005 11:32 PM]
09-07-2005 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
It's worth noting that the high score spider assumes that the Master Walls are up and deletes those demos where Beethro steps into them.
09-08-2005 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300

File: Proximity mines.hold (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 69 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Experts Callenge (+2)  
Thanks agaricus5 for the hints on the proximity mines, but I noted one flaw:
where it says
Label Proximity Trigger
Appear
Disappear
End
It should say Label Proximity Trigger
Appear
Wait 1
Disappear
End
This is because if you don't wait 1, the game doesn't count the charactor as being there. The reason that there is one less snake than could work is so that people don't get annoyed trying to guide the last snake in.
Is this what you want me to make the rooms like?

[Last edited by Someone Else at 09-09-2005 11:53 PM]
09-09-2005 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Ops frogot to mention Someone else helped build this level
(younger brother you know what THAT means)
uhhh yep thats it.

I wish that man would stay away
09-10-2005 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Experts Callenge
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com