Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Golden Pie Awards. (Our contest for September.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Golden Pie Awards. (0)  
Many thanks Doom, but it doesn't work - "demo belongs to a different hold". It looks like I either just send the hold as is, or record my own demo.

"Oook!"
09-16-2005 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
So I guess it might be necessary in some cases to record a new demo. As long as you keep the story the same, it's fine for the contest to do that. Sorry for the trouble though. I hadn't considered that would come up.

-Erik

09-16-2005 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well I got my recording placed in the hold, had to do some rework cuz when I saved them I didn't realize until later that I was changing the location the speech was attached to. (I was wondering why I was having trouble escaping to save the file.) Good thing I had print screened the script pages so I could verify I had them back the way they were. Just wanted to warn anyone else who was new at this like me.

My problem is that there was no demo for my original play so I knew I was going to need to make one, I went to do that and am having trouble getting it to show the audio for the first segment of the drama. I am not sure why later when I move on to the potion that removes my invisibility the audio and text show up but not when I enter the room and am immediately invisible because a potion is in the door way. Does the invisibly potion affect speech and audio showing and playing in the demo?

Also, do I need to do anything special with the audio files or do they export when I do that? I placed them in a subdirectory in the data\\sounds in my game files hope that was ok. It worked for importing them. I have big file name also so I could keep track of them is that a problem also? Just want to know before I run in to it. :D

09-20-2005 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Ok. So I've made a new demo - and, for some stupid reason, it doesn't match what I did. Or rather, it does, but the timing's all wrong. So where I sat on one square for a few minutes for speech to run, in the demo playback it only waits for about 5 seconds.

Surely demos should playback at the speed they were recorded?

"Oook!"
09-20-2005 at 09:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
krammer wrote:
Ok. So I've made a new demo - and, for some stupid reason, it doesn't match what I did. Or rather, it does, but the timing's all wrong. So where I sat on one square for a few minutes for speech to run, in the demo playback it only waits for about 5 seconds.

Surely demos should playback at the speed they were recorded?
No...for backwards compatibility, each move is recorded with a maximum of 2.55 seconds delay until the next move. So...in order to get the timing for a replay demo right, one must execute a wait command every couple of seconds while the speech is going.

There will be a workaround provided in 3.0 for playing timing-critical story segments.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-20-2005 10:29 AM]
09-20-2005 at 10:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Yeah, I did that too while recording my original demo. That's why the "moves per second" stat at the "Miscellaneous" part of high scores can't get very high.
09-20-2005 at 12:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Doom wrote:
Yeah, I did that too while recording my original demo. That's why the "moves per second" stat at the "Miscellaneous" part of high scores can't get very high.
Not really. That would mean it can't go too low.

09-20-2005 at 07:34 PM
techant
techant wrote:
...am having trouble getting it (demo) to show the audio for the first segment of the drama. I am not sure why later when I move on to the potion that removes my invisibility the audio and text show up but not when I enter the room and am immediately invisible because a potion is in the door way. Does the invisibly potion affect speech and audio showing and playing in the demo?

Also, do I need to do anything special with the audio files or do they export when I do that? I placed them in a subdirectory in the data\\sounds in my game files hope that was ok. It worked for importing them. I have big file name also so I could keep track of them is that a problem also? Just want to know before I run in to it. :D

Please don't forget me... :huh ....I still am waiting for that "hand holding" thing I will be gone this weekend and want to submit my entry soon so I don't miss the deadline.

09-20-2005 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
techant wrote:
...am having trouble getting it (demo) to show the audio for the first segment of the drama. I am not sure why later when I move on to the potion that removes my invisibility the audio and text show up but not when I enter the room and am immediately invisible because a potion is in the door way. Does the invisibly potion affect speech and audio showing and playing in the demo?
It shouldn't. Maybe you can send me your .hold file (erikh@caravelgames.com) and I'll take a look.
Also, do I need to do anything special with the audio files or do they export when I do that?
No, they will be put into the hold file when you export them. It isn't necessary to send them separately when you distribute the hold.

-Erik

09-20-2005 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: The Golden Pie Awards. (+1)  
This is just a reminder that we've reached the last weekend before the deadline of the Golden Pie Awards. The deadline is...

Local Time:09-27-2005 at 01:00 AM

I don't want people waking up Monday morning with a nagging feeling of forgetting something they meant to do. No, instead you should wake up Monday morning with a more concrete feeling of guilt over your neglected projects. ;) Note that if you had never even heard of this contest until now, you could still enter and win it. Just read the contest rules at the top of this post.

Techant, before the deadline has passed, could you reply back to my e-mail? I want to make sure we have the right entry for you in time for the contest. Especially after you went to the trouble to figure out that tricky bug.

-Erik

09-25-2005 at 12:55 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Good, I didn't miss the deadline while (ooh, new file attachment options) working on unrelated stuff. I'll be doing mine today.

09-25-2005 at 07:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
ErikH2000 wrote:
Techant, before the deadline has passed, could you reply back to my e-mail? I want to make sure we have the right entry for you in time for the contest. Especially after you went to the trouble to figure out that tricky bug.
-Erik

Thanks Erik I got off an email to you with a new copy of the hold and a new demo with that tricky bug work around in it. That dispite being gone all weekend and a thunderstorm today that kept taking our power and internet down. :w00t

Thanks for all the great help with the project.

09-26-2005 at 11:59 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I can't wait to view the films with voices. All the original films were great but I found I couldn't really watch everything because I was always busy reading the text. This round should be quite fun. I'm getting my popcorn and a seat now so I don't miss anything. :smile

[Last edited by larrymurk at 09-27-2005 12:28 AM]
09-27-2005 at 12:27 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
As you may have noticed, my voicing of The Flood isn't in. I ran into some technical/conceptual difficulties with simultaneous voices, new demos and various other stuff. Console yourself that a) somebody else picked The Flood as well, and b) my version will eventually arrive, just not as a contest entry.
09-27-2005 at 09:11 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Unfortunately, I too haven't been able to do anything for this contest. In fact, I haven't been able to do anything DROD-related recently, due to a mixture of commitments and being intermittently sick over the last 3 weeks.

Sorry about that. Hopefully I'll be able to enter next month's contest.

09-27-2005 at 07:50 PM
ErikH2000
We've got 6 entries waiting to go up for a vote. I'm going to make a suggestion to the entrants that doesn't necessarily have to be followed. Some of the holds require interactive stepping through them where a demo would be a little better for the experience and let the viewer "sit back and enjoy the show". So my recommendation is to record a demo that is included with the hold file. Steps to do that:

1. Play a new game in your hold and hit F5 to start recording a demo.
2. Perform the same movements that would be needed to interactively view the film.
3. Press F5 at end of the film.
4. Press F6 to get to the demo screen.
5. Check the "Display all demos in level" if this is a multi-room film.
6. Check "Show from title screen" for the demo(s) you just recorded.
7. Export a new hold file and e-mail it to erikh@caravelgames.com

A lot of people are busy and won't have time for this. But I think it really makes the viewing better, so I'm going to wait a few days to see if any of the people who made an entry want to update their entry to include this. If you don't want to do it, please don't worry about it. If you need help, just ask.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 09-27-2005 09:14 PM]
09-27-2005 at 09:13 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I urge everyone to do this.
09-27-2005 at 09:17 PM
Leus
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 204
I tried three times to record a demo. Every time I acted it out it went fine, but when I watched it it was all out of synch and ended way before all the lines were done. So... I don't think a demo is going to work for mine.

09-28-2005 at 07:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Leus wrote:
I tried three times to record a demo. Every time I acted it out it went fine, but when I watched it it was all out of synch and ended way before all the lines were done. So... I don't think a demo is going to work for mine.
Don't despair. This isn't a bug or the program trying to annoy you: demos have a limitation that the longest duration a turn can have in playback is about 2.5 seconds. So, while recording a demo, if you're standing around for a long time, waiting for dialogue to finish playing or whatever, remember to press the Wait key every couple of seconds. Then the demo will play back with the same time intervals you used to record the move sequence.

09-28-2005 at 09:38 AM
ErikH2000
I'll wait until tomorrow evening (your local time: Local Time:09-30-2005 at 03:00 AM) to post entries. Leus and others, if you don't end up doing the included demo thing, it's fine. I'm not trying to pressure anyone with that.

-Erik

09-28-2005 at 06:49 PM
techant
I am with you all on the demo issue. Erik was great and worked with me on solving my demo issue. I wanted one because I wanted everyone to be able to just sit back and watch, so much better.

I had to sit on my 'wait key' to get the demo to record the timing right. I think we will all undestand if there is a lag anywhere in the timing because of that.

I have my coffee ready and waiting. Can't wait to see the shows. :thumbsup

09-28-2005 at 09:40 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Whoops. I thought I had until the 29th.

09-29-2005 at 04:15 AM
Leus
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 204
Gah... I recorded a correctly-timed demo, and now that I've tested it and checked "Show from title screen," the "Watch Demo" option is still greyed out...

09-29-2005 at 06:07 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Try restarting DROD. It's usually a little slow. As far as I remember, it didn't work immediately for me either.
09-29-2005 at 06:10 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Golden Pie Awards. (Our contest for September.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com