Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Deviating Selection. (Or "Good games for the DS")
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Deviating Selection. (0)  
Since the DS got a bit cheaper down here, I decided that I would finally spring and get one. Now, the last portable console we've had in our house was a Game Gear, so I have absolutly no idea for what's good or bad. Of course, I'm sure that a couple of people here have a DS, so they can tell me if there are any good games out there. Kirby's Canvas Curse has had good reviews, and I absolutly need to get Super Mario 64x4, but other than that I'm lost. I'm looking for any decent games, really, but ones that make good use of the stylus and are able to play in 5-10 minute spurts would appeal to me most.

09-01-2005 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Deviating Selection. (0)  
I hear Advance Wars is good.

WarioWare is highly amusing, although if you haven't played WarioWare before I'd recommend Mega Microgames or Twisted over Touched.

There's also been a good deal of talk over Nintendogs, so maybe pick one of those.

09-01-2005 at 10:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
The multiplayer option in Super Mario 64x4 isn't very good, but otherwise the game's great.

If you're looking for games that make good use of the touchscreen then Kirby is for you. But if you're a fan of the Advance Wars series, I advice you to get AW: Dual Strike first because it rocks. There's not many other good games for the DS right now, but they will come.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
09-01-2005 at 12:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Meteos.

Also, I recently purchased Advance Wars DS and I heartily recommend that as well, if you're into turn based strategies.
09-01-2005 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Well, I bought two games today - Super Mario 64 DS, which is good to have a fix of platforming fun (And, I've never played Super Mario 64, so it's a brand-new experience for me), and Wario Ware: Touched, which I'm enjoying extremly much. The rapid-fire pace and confusion of it sounds weird when you hear it, but turns out to be really addictive.

09-02-2005 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Deviating Selection. (+1)  
WarioWare and the first sequel, Twisted, are also excellent, as Cramp mentioned, and since the DS can play old GB, GBC, and GBA games, there's no real reason not to pick them up if you enjoy the Touched one. (The original uses the various buttons, and Twisted uses a gyroscope in the cartridge to detect you rotating the console. It's really unique and fun.)

I have heard good things about Meteos, and whenever the new Metroid comes out I am sure it will be great. Honestly, there are tons of great games for the GBA (and to a lesser extent for the GB and GBC) that you can make up for not having one before by going out and getting some of the best games that you've missed.

For GBA: in platform, both Metroid games, the last Castlevania of the 3 is the best (they get better with each sequel, although none are bad), the Donkey Kong Country ports are good if you don't have the SNES ones. The Golden Sun RPGs are the best on the system, and there's also the original Final Fantasy ports. There are 2 F-Zero games and one Mario Kart game, for your racing enjoyment. And for strategy there's Advance Wars and FF Tactics. If you want Zelda, the Link to the Past port is faithful, but the Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Link's Awakening for the older GB consoles are very original, and the Oracle games are comparable to the N64 one in terms of puzzles.

Anyway, lots of good, decently priced games out there that you can get while waiting for the best DS games to come out.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-02-2005 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Nintendogs has an obscenely obnoxious commercial, and it just seems… stupid! Come on, you can pet real dogs for free. Why pay $30 (or whatever) to be able to pet a virtual one?

The best hold in the world!
09-03-2005 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Nintendogs is getting exceedingly good reviews, even though it seems like an obvious and stupid concept. I guess there's more to it than meets the eye.

Neil's post really hit home one of the biggest reasons, in my mind, that the GBA sold so well - it has a really diverse library of games, so that no matter who you are you'll probably find something you like, even if you're jaded and cynical like me.

Also, there's Zelda: The Minish cap which Neil forgot to mention. It's done by the Capcom team that did Oracle of Ages/Seasons and it's pretty good.

09-03-2005 at 03:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Mattcrampy wrote:
Also, there's Zelda: The Minish cap which Neil forgot to mention. It's done by the Capcom team that did Oracle of Ages/Seasons and it's pretty good.
Oh yeah! Thanks...I totally forgot about that one. I've been waiting for it to go down in price...and I still haven't finished all 3 of the other Zelda games I picked up...:unsure

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-03-2005 at 06:08 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Oneiromancer wrote:
WarioWare and the first sequel, Twisted, are also excellent, as Cramp mentioned, and since the DS can play old GB, GBC, and GBA games, there's no real reason not to pick them up if you enjoy the Touched one.
Actually, just to avoid misinformation, the DS is unable to play GB or GBC games. It's actually a technical reason, so it's only possible to play GBA games and DS games.

And I've unlocked all of the characters in WarioWare: Touched! already. Yeah, it was nice that I finished my math test early.

09-03-2005 at 06:20 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
SKWERLL wrote:
Nintendogs has an obscenely obnoxious commercial, and it just seems… stupid! Come on, you can pet real dogs for free. Why pay $30 (or whatever) to be able to pet a virtual one?

Do you feed your dogs? Do you take them to the vet, do you give them their shots, and do you like dealing with having them put down?

I don't think that's free. :O
09-03-2005 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
If I would buy DS games, it would probably be (in that order):

1. Polarium (a challenging draw-a-line game?)
2. Advance Wars: DS (quite tactical)
3. Kirby (best stylus game at this moment)
4. Mario Kart (great multiplayer mode)

But I'm probably going to wait for the real successor to the GBA, which they say is probably out in 2 years.

-- Tim

09-03-2005 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Bringing out my DS reminded me that I bought two new games a couple of days ago - Kirby's Canvas Curse for the DS, and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. The Mario one is an insanely good game and RPG, as it's one of three that I've actually been able to get into and enjoy.

And I still laugh at all of my friends whose first response to me telling them I bought a DS was "Man, you should have bought a PSP" yet, once they actually see it and play it, they don't find it so bad. Heck, even my PSP-owning friend wants to trade every so often.

09-09-2005 at 05:48 AM
Oneiromancer
I'll probably get a DS before too long. Possibly a PSP, once there are enough good games out for it. I know that there are enough games for me to justify the DS at some point soon.

Game on,

09-09-2005 at 06:38 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Well, in a state of temporary insanity, I preordered Mario Kart DS. Man, when that game comes out, I'm going on a gaming binge and playing that game for as long as possible.

I also had an interesting discussion with the person at EB Games (Which is, in fact, in Erik's basement. After he refused to sell Erik's games there, he was imprisoned down here. Actually has a decent selection, too). He's a DS owner as well, and strongly advised me to get Nintendogs, claiming that "While you may feel like a geek, you're having such an awesome time that you don't even care). I'm tempted to look for more reviews of it and hear from people who've played it now.

09-13-2005 at 12:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Deviating Selection. (Or "Good games for the DS")
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com