Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Repeating keys"
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Greyman
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon "Repeating keys" (0)  
There are many situations where you need to do some repetitive movements, like "QWing". Sometimes my fingers get mad and I end dying when just about to kill the last cocroache! :weep

What about some "repeat function key"? You need 2 keys, actualy: The first one, you hit it once, makes the series of movements, then hit it again. With the second key you repeat those movements.
If you hit the first key again, then you can save another series of movements.

Another system is to allow the user to pre-define some series of movements and assign them to keys (in the options screen).

08-24-2005 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: "Repeating keys" (+1)  
Check the help file. Control-Q or Control-W are what you want. Also Control and any of the movement keys will make that movement and return you to your starting square. Control-5 waits until move 30, if the clock is on the screen.

(This is only in JtRH, by the way. If you are using AE then this isn't in there.)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-24-2005 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Greyman
icon Re: "Repeating keys" (0)  
No, no. I know ctrl+key, but I mean other thing.
For instance, you have a corridor with tar 3 tiles narrow. You need a series of movements starting from the middle (forward, diagonal back, Q, W, diagonal forward) then repeat.
Or if you want to clean a line of tar, you put sword diagonal, then (forward, backward, forward) and then repeat as much as needed.
There are many different cases when you need a series of repetitive movements. If you perform the movements and then say "do this until I say stop", then you don´t have to be a master pianist.
I mentioned the second metod is to allow the user to configure keyboard by asigning series of movements to keys (in the main screen of the game). This metod keeps it personal: each one have to discover and pre-set the series of movements.

GreyMan
09-02-2005 at 02:24 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Yeah, I didn't answer that part. People have asked for macros for a long time now, and they haven't been implemented. I doubt they will be, but you never know, I guess.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-02-2005 at 02:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Greyman
There´s another use. If you get dying a lot in a complex series of movements, you can save it and next time, tell the game to repeat it, so you can continue from the last good movement.
As you try a few times until you decide to save, this is like “undo” function without being a cheat. Also, as you save only one series at a time, when you save again you lose the previous one. So if you took the wrong way in a wide perspective, you must come back to the last checkpoint anyways.
So this system covers the requests for "unlimited undo" without being "unlimited".
I thought of this after trying for 1 hour to eliminate a complex tar situation without enough checkpoints (on “impossible cubes”). Remember you can not only dye (when you can “undo” 1 move) but also become trapped because of spawn cycles.
09-04-2005 at 06:33 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Repeating keys"
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No