Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Magnet
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
IP: Logged
icon Magnet (0)  
The magnet is an object that draws swords/hooks/whatever located within its range (5 squares?) towards itself. Beethro and other creatures holding these objects are strong enough not to be automatically moved by it, but they are not able to move the object any further away from the magnet. By further away I mean "increasing the number of squares inbetween", so moving the object in a square around the magnet would be allowed. It would even be possible for Beethro to turn around without moving the sword any closer, although this requires use of "corners" of the magnet's range.

So as not to make the magnet an inescapable trap, it can be turned on/off with orbs in the same way as yellow gates. Scripting might be required to take full advantage of this.

I suggest that magnets cannot be placed close enough to have overlapping ranges. There are several ways that multiple magnets affecting the same square could work, but none of them are very intuitive IMO. If anyone has a good idea about how this should be done, I'd be interested to here it.

I know that other types of magnets have been suggested here before, but I think this one is different enough to have it's own thread.
08-20-2005 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1306
icon Re: Magnet (0)  
This sounds good, but you would have to put something like a tunnel at the center or it's impossible to escape. If you dont you could make it a trap and have to guide guards around it so you can get them. Also, would magnets be blocked by walls? I can see several interesting possibilities there, including walls that if you break them the magnet gets your sword. Also, bombs could be placed at the center.
09-24-2005 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
icon Re: Magnet (0)  
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't notice that anyone had posted. Stupid red/yellow folder thingy not working as it should.

In order to escape a magnet, without tunnels that is, it would simply have to be turned off by activating the proper orb. This could be done by Beethro (though the orb might have to be protected by green gates or something so as not to make the magnet pointless), Halph (Beethro could bump into the magnet just as he bumps into yellow gates), Monsters (difficult to implement well but probably not impossible), bombs, mimics/decoys or simply a script that activates the orb when a certain event occurs.

IMO, the magnet should work through walls, and everything else for that matter, for the simple reason that it is much more intuitive that way. If everyone can see through the walls, then the magnetic field should easily penetrate them as well.

[Last edited by Mikko at 09-30-2005 10:36 AM]
09-30-2005 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Magnet
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes