Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Restoring/checkpoints oddness
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Restoring/checkpoints oddness (0)  
If I restore via the menu to a checkpoint, and continue playing for a while, if I then press 'r' ingame, Beethro is put back at the entrance of the room, rather than to that checkpoint first.
07-03-2003 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
icon Re: Restoring/checkpoints oddness (0)  
StuartK wrote:
If I restore via the menu to a checkpoint, and continue playing for a while, if I then press 'r' ingame, Beethro is put back at the entrance of the room, rather than to that checkpoint first.

Was this one missed? Does my explanation make sense? It's not really a bug as such, just an inconsistency.

1) Restore to a checkpoint in a room, via the menu
2) Play further into that room
3) Press 'r' to return to the checkpoint originally played from
4) The game instead returns to the start of the room
07-05-2003 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
A related problem: if you play and reach a checkpoint, and then decide not to use the checkpoint (because, say, it's in an unwinnable position), and then use the restore feature to go to another checkpoint in the room, pressing 'r' will get you back to the bad checkpoint.

07-05-2003 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
icon Re: Re: Restoring/checkpoints oddness (0)  
eytanz wrote:
A related problem: if you play and reach a checkpoint, and then decide not to use the checkpoint (because, say, it's in an unwinnable position), and then use the restore feature to go to another checkpoint in the room, pressing 'r' will get you back to the bad checkpoint.

Should all checkpoints uses in a room be queued up (or at least one save position per checkpoint, per room)? Or should only the last one you used count, before returning to the start of the room (ie pressing 'r' twice always return to the room start)? I'm not quite sure what the intended behaviour is here...
07-05-2003 at 10:01 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
There was a discussion about this in another thread, but my report was unrelated - 'r' should never take you to a future checkpoint.

Basically, the bug is that 'r' doesn't recognize checkpoints that were loaded into from the menu - my bug and yours are subcases of this.

07-06-2003 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Yeah, I understand what both of you are talking about. (I thought this had been fixed! Argh!) I put in a bug report for all of this.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-06-2003 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Restoring/checkpoints oddness
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com