Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Why People Come to the Site - Part III. (Or inexplicably strange Googling.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Why People Come to the Site - Part III. (+4)  
Occasionally, I'll take a look at the web logs for DROD.net and see why people are coming to the site. It used to be I'd hope for insights on how to generate more traffic--like I would surf masterfully on the whims of the masses. But then I learned that everyone is insane, or at least inscrutable. I might just as well stare at a Matrix screensaver.

Below you will find some of the more remarkable internet search phrases that brought people to drod.net. To the left of each phrase is the number of visits generated by the search phrase.

From August 2005
90 drod - Yes, the majority of people come here for DROD. As it should be.
74 toilet paper - Always keep your laptop next to the toilet in case you run out of TP--then you can order some more off the internet.
66 moving smileys - Nowadays, it is not enough for smileys to be fun and convey a bit of information--no, they must provide a moving experience. Alright, so the word they probably wanted was "animated". Still, I like to think our DROD.net smileys truly are moving.
34 brittany - My wife has a deep fear from grade school that she isn't popular. "See, honey? People came to the site for you."

From July 2005
262 toilet paper - Just to point out that toilet paper thing is a large-scale trend, not an isolated blip. Hundreds of people are coming to drod.net with their toilet paper questions: What is the best softness? Theoretically, is three-ply superior to two-ply? Are chafing and callouses a concern over the long run?
66 funny star wars - They want to see that kid with the lightsaber. No, they already saw that, and they don't know what exactly they want to see next or they'd have been more specific. But they do know that it must be funny and it must be Star Wars.
65 d - After learning that a Sesame Street episode was brought to them by the letter "D", people flocked to the internet for more information, perhaps investment opportunities.
59 mechanic - You aren't quite ready to use the electronic internet yet, but luckily there is a paper version of it that is attached to most pay telephones.
48 chao raising - There is a legitimate set of pages on DROD.net about raising chaos, but if you Google for it, we are soooooo far down there. Like past "Elaine Chao" and Vietnamese pages. What this means is that a youngster's thirst for knowledge on this subject is near-infinite.

From June 2005
325 toilet paper - I cannot overstate how important toilet paper is to people. I'm going to go see if the toiletpaper.com domain is available right now. No, somebody has snatched it up. All my dreams have been flushed down the drain.

From April 2005
725 chainsaw - Oh my god! The number one search term on the site, beating out DROD by nearly 300 hits! Everyone came here en masse to learn about chainsaws. Maybe some wanted to play Kettensägle's hold of the same name. But I suspect most were disappointed after arriving and finding no Stihls or Husqvarnas, and not even a single kitten threatened by chainsaw. (That came later in August.)
161 cheese - Picturing Wallace typing in "cheese" with his big clay fingers while Gromit shakes his head.
66 "108 105 108 107" - Is this what's it come to? People are so bored that they type in strings of numbers to see where they will come up?

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 08-09-2005 10:28 PM]
08-09-2005 at 03:19 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Why People Come to the Site - Part III. (0)  
"chao raising"

Ooh, I know this one. It's a minigame in Sonic Adventure 2.

first kittens, now chainsaws... truly, we live in darker times.

08-09-2005 at 07:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Oh ... my ... wow. Have you READ the amazing content on toiletpaper.com? Headline: "Toiletpaper.com. What you need, when you need it." The "popular categories" include "free coupons", "toilet paper vertual[sic] museum", "Information Ontoilet Paper.funfacts" (yes - information ontoilet paper.funfacts!) "History Of Toilet Paper", "Free Samples" ...

But there's also the possibly less obvious "Airline Tickets", and the somewhat disturbing "Wallpaper" ... maybe it's connected to that "Designertoiletpaper" they mention.
08-09-2005 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Znirk wrote:
Oh ... my ... wow. Have you READ the amazing content on toiletpaper.com? Headline: "Toiletpaper.com. What you need, when you need it." The "popular categories" include "free coupons", "toilet paper vertual[sic] museum", "Information Ontoilet Paper.funfacts" (yes - information ontoilet paper.funfacts!) "History Of Toilet Paper", "Free Samples" ...

But there's also the possibly less obvious "Airline Tickets", and the somewhat disturbing "Wallpaper" ... maybe it's connected to that "Designertoiletpaper" they mention.
Actually, all the areas seem to contain links found by searching the web; many are only to do with the word in the category and nothing to do with the said paper. In fact, many look like the adverts found on the sponsored links that appear with Google searches, so I guess it's actually a site grabbed by some sort of unscrupulous advertising company to use as an advert "hub" just because it is so popular.

Actually, looking at the bar at the bottom of my browser, I spotted the address "www.searchportal.information.com" appearing a few times while loading the site, which probably is the name of the domain that owns the site.

Edit:

66 "108 105 108 107" - Is this what's it come to? People are so bored that they type in strings of numbers to see where they will come up?
I just searched for that string, and it appears that it is a string of numbers used in a not pr0n puzzle (level 6, I think).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 08-09-2005 10:30 PM]
08-09-2005 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Znirk wrote:
Oh ... my ... wow. Have you READ the amazing content on toiletpaper.com?
Yeah, I got excited but then I realized it's just one of those quickie search portal things people throw up to make money on advertising.

Okay, I was never really excited about toiletpaper.com.

-Erik

08-09-2005 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Well, yes, obviously (you can pretty much tell from the layout and the expression "popular categories"), but when the standard Fake Some Interesting-Looking Links script collides with toilet paper, the result is still fun to watch.
08-09-2005 at 10:34 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
"108 105 108 107" - Is this what's it come to? People are so bored that they type in strings of numbers to see where they will come up?

Yeah, it's the ascii numbers of the first part of some clue on notPr0n. Level 6 sounds about right: early on.

Anyways, it spells "LILK". Can't remember what it is, but believe there's another part to the clue.

08-09-2005 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
There were actually a lot of nonsensical-sounding search terms that were from incoming "not pr0n" people.

-Erik

08-09-2005 at 10:44 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
when the standard Fake Some Interesting-Looking Links script collides with toilet paper, the result is still fun to watch

I expect many things colliding with TP would be fun to watch...

Here's an interesting assertion:
For best results, Sh*tBegone (as all toilet paper) should be used folded, not crumpled. Folding toilet paper instead of crumpling it makes it feel softer, and saves paper too.

I'm a crumpler, myself. Anybody else care to weigh in?

[Last edited by stigant at 08-10-2005 01:28 AM]
08-10-2005 at 01:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Why do I almost want to start googling random crap to see what gets me here?
08-10-2005 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Why People Come to the Site - Part III. (+1)  
I tried "random crap" and it has drod.net

08-10-2005 at 02:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Why People Come to the Site - Part III. (Or inexplicably strange Googling.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com