Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : In game hold rating (because people don't vote enough on the site)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon In game hold rating (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote in SS FAQ:
Q: Can I make a Smitemaster's Selection?
A: If you've previously published a hold on CaravelNet that received an average rating of 8 or higher after at least 10 votes, then you are eligible to submit a hold for Smitemaster's Selection. These requirements may change over time. You don't need to have purchased a CaravelNet membership or full version of DROD.
I checked my holds for curiosity after reading the FAQ. I was quite surprised. None of my holds had 10 votes. Time doesn't seem to matter a lot in the amount of given votes, because my oldest hold has only 3 votes, but my newest hold has already 7.

I think that the problem is, that the only way to rate holds is the hold thread on the site. Some people might not even visit it, because you can download holds in-game now. I saw also, that holds with replies from short period of time have generally less votes, because they're pretty much forgotten in the late pages of the holds board.

It would be nice to be able to rate holds in-game. I'm sure that people would rate holds more frequently if you could do it via a simple click after finishing the hold instead of searching for the hold thread in the forum.
08-05-2005 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: In game hold rating (0)  
Schik really wants to get this in, but I think that he can't do it until DROD 3.0 for various reasons. I agree with you, but I think it would also be a good idea to suggest to Erik that he mention it in the next News post so that we can get some more votes out there!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-05-2005 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Doom wrote:
I saw also, that holds with replies from short period of time have generally less votes, because they're pretty much forgotten in the late pages of the holds board.
Doom, I've just downloaded your older holds to see if I can rate them as well. :)

Did you know your holds are usually a bit on the very hard side? Hard holds tend to get lesser votes. Fore example, I don't even think there were more than 10 people who really finished my last hold, so I don't even expect to see more than 2 votes. Maybe I should try to rate the holds before I finish them instead, but I don't like that idea, honestly. But now I think I might want to do that.

Can't help you with your last hold though. I've already rated that one. :) (No - I haven't finished that one either, but I've seen most of the rooms so it wouldn't mind.)

In the meantime, you can try to bump your own holds just to see if more people will rate them.

-- Tim (who is a really bad player) :blush

08-05-2005 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Tim wrote:
Did you know your holds are usually a bit on the very hard side? Hard holds tend to get lesser votes.
I don't really think this is true. If I didn't miss something, Bavato's Dungeon has most votes on the holds board. It might have something to do with the large amount of replies that it has...
Maybe I should try to rate the holds before I finish them instead, but I don't like that idea, honestly. But now I think I might want to do that.
I don't usually do that either. I see your point about harder holds getting less votes.

(edit)
I completely forgot that sortable hold list :blush
I've just not used it in a long time...

[Last edited by Doom at 08-06-2005 12:14 AM]
08-05-2005 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I rarely rate holds in the holds board, for no particular reason. So, since I've played nearly every hold anyway, sometime today I will go through every one and give them a rating :)
08-05-2005 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Doom wrote:
Tim wrote:
Did you know your holds are usually a bit on the very hard side? Hard holds tend to get lesser votes.
I don't really think this is true. If I didn't miss something, Bavato's Dungeon has most votes on the holds board. It might have something to do with the large amount of replies that it has...
Actually, I believe it's more to do with the rating it has got and its name than anything else. Bavato's Dungeon has been in the top 10 holds alphabetically, in difficulty and in rating ever since I released it, and these three, I guess, have put it in a position where it is much easier to see than some of the other holds, especially as the holds page was only randomised recently, so it would have been one of the first holds seen when you first enter the page. I guess the bugs may have increased the download numbers, but I would have thought that would have repelled people from the hold (no-one likes buggy holds), not attracted them. Still, I see that the many replies may also have played a part in advertising it, but I don't think it's the only reason.

Also, "Bad Evil Restaurant" has more votes (40, I believe) and this is again probably because of its position alphabetically, and its reputation.

Maybe for Caravel.net users at least, a message could be sent to the player (or put on the personal highscores page) whenever a hold is completed to give it a rating.

08-06-2005 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: In game hold rating (+1)  
Because I've actually played a lot of holds, I think I should give a good example by rating some of my played holds now. In fact, I've just rated about 15 holds just right now. :D

-- Tim

PS. I just sorted the holds in difficulty and looked at the number of votes:
1. 2 votes
2. 4 votes
3. 21 votes
4. 31 votes
5. 26 votes
6. 3 votes
7. 8 votes
8. 29 votes
9. 7 votes
10. 7 votes
I don't see any relation between difficulty and votes. I must be wrong. :)

[Last edited by Tim at 08-06-2005 01:06 PM]
08-06-2005 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : In game hold rating (because people don't vote enough on the site)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com