Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The Ear
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
leventdal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
IP: Logged
icon The Ear (0)  
It doesn't move even when Beethro is next to it. The only stimulant is Beethro's sword or in other words the scream of dying monsters.(also may be hitting crumbled walls) Whenever Beethro kills a monster all ears will move one square towards him like a roach under the effect of a brain.

It might be wiser to kill all of the ears before working on other monsters, but ears more than one that are close to each other requires an extensive plan. When Beethro tries to kill an ear that is between two ears, he will taste their revenge. Also if the ears stand between walls this will prevent Beethro attacking them on a line. As a result generally Beethro will have to take the ears out of their shelter by killing other monsters. The disorder in their guarding (each other) position can be provided with obstacles or other monsters.

Especially roach queens that are intentionally allowed to reproduce may help Beethro call the ears to their endings.

As another option, there can be a tile called horn and as long as Beethro stands on it he may call the ears to him. (This tile can be guarded by other monsters and can be on a strategical location. (Of course if the ears won't be out of their shelter already)
07-02-2003 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: The Ear (0)  
I like this one. Also when Beetrho runs into a wall he makes a noise, so this creature would reward careful movement. But remember that some people play without noise...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-02-2003 at 02:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
leventdal
I like this one. Also when Beetrho runs into a wall he makes a noise, so this creature would reward careful movement. But remember that some people play without noise...

I thought about the walls but then rotating can be hard.

Sound shouldn't be an issue in my opinion. Counting the killings can be enough.
07-02-2003 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
I like it. You have (mostly ;)) great monster ideas.

07-02-2003 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Hmm...it's interesting to have monsters that you can place in certain special configurations, knowing that they will stay put until something special like a kill occurs. Or...hey, I got it! How about they also move every time an orb is hit (since orbs make a loud sound)? You could make puzzles where you have to hit the orbs less than x number of times, otherwise they advance far enough forward to be in a bad spot that makes the room unsolvable.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-02-2003 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Although, this shouldn't literally be an "Ear"...it could be a special kind of wraithwing, since bats "see" via sound, or even some dungeon mole, or something else that is blind but isn't as strange as this huge lobe coming at you. Strange is good, yes, but...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-02-2003 at 07:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
I like this monster. Lots of potential. Would invisibility potions work on it, though?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
07-03-2003 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Re: The Ear (0)  
Malarame wrote:
I like this monster. Lots of potential. Would invisibility potions work on it, though?

I think we would need a new potion called "the muffler". When under the effects of the muffler, Beethro does not stab the roaches/whatever other monster, but he beats them in their heads with the sword. They still explode, but now they don't scream in agony. With snakes...hmm...well, Beethro doesn't technically kill the snakes anyhow. So would the Ear (or bat, whatever) really respond to snakes? For everything else, the beating idea *should* work, and it gives a funny image too.

07-03-2003 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: The Ear (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
some dungeon mole
Sorry, I don't think it could be a mole:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=537818&group_id=10939&atid=360939

07-04-2003 at 09:48 PM
leventdal
Although, this shouldn't literally be an "Ear"...it could be a special kind of wraithwing, since bats "see" via sound, or even some dungeon mole, or something else that is blind but isn't as strange as this huge lobe coming at you. Strange is good, yes, but...

I thought exactly the same thing but there was a bat idea. Also as far as I know a bat can sense without any noice (sending and recieving sound waves).

The name "Ear" came across as I was writing to the eye variations topic.
An ear does not seem to be so wild but so does an eye. :)

Normally it shouldn't. This can be fine as there will be a monster that is not effected by invisibility potion.

I think we would need a new potion called "the muffler". When under the effects of the muffler, Beethro does not stab the roaches/whatever other monster, but he beats them in their heads with the sword. They still explode, but now they don't scream in agony. With snakes...hmm...well, Beethro doesn't technically kill the snakes anyhow. So would the Ear (or bat, whatever) really respond to snakes? For everything else, the beating idea *should* work, and it gives a funny image too.

Beethro should kill a monster to effect an ear. So a snake shouldn't matter. This may cause troubles as you can kill a monster and snake can die in the same turn.

Muffler potion, if used, will be the equivalent of invisibility potion but against blind monsters. I think it will be very nice. But what if Beethro picks both invisibility and muffler potion? Another idea can be to join them in one.
07-05-2003 at 03:01 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The Ear
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com