Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Eye Variations: Doubtful Eye, Eagle Eye, Eye Mother
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
leventdal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
IP: Logged
icon Eye Variations: Doubtful Eye, Eagle Eye, Eye Mother (0)  
The Doubtful Eye

This eye has problems in seeing. When it sees Beethro for the first time, it will need to turn elsewhere(the turning is just for indication may be omitted) and then turn back to look again. If it sees Beethro there again, this will make it sure that there is a stranger in the room and it won't doubt again. It will attack Beethro like a normal eye(or something else).

If it doesn't see Beethro in the second glance, this will require the whole process again. (Option A: But may be seeing Beethro twice in different times may be necessary to make it sure)

Unless Beethro stands on its sight for more than one turn he won't be seen. So if there is an eye close to Beethro looking at his way, he has to plan where he will stop and swing his sword.

This monster will let Beethro's free movement even across its sight if he moves quickly. If Option A is implemented, this will create a path that can be travelled safe just for once. With Option A, it may be used in rooms where there are orbs that have to be touched in order.

Like a normal eye its main purpose will be to guard a certain location. But because of its handicap he may not be any threat to Beethro.

Eagle-eyes

This type of eyes have the ability to see Beethro's sword.

Eye mother

First of all it won't reproduce. (I couldn't imagine a name :) ) It will have 4 or may be 8 eyes on it. Each looking at opposite directions. So if Beethro gets next to eye mother, it is impossible for it to not to see him.
07-02-2003 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Eye Variations: Doubtful Eye, Eagle Eye, Eye Mother (0)  
Hmm...I can see the reference to the double take in the doubtful eyes, but I'm not sure if I really like it yet. Maybe it could blink or something, instead of turning. Then again, the real problem with this is that it's almost too easy to kill.

I like the eagle eye idea.

And for the name of the third thing...how about "Eyes of the Spider" ;) (Rocky)

And while we're on the topic of eyes, I want to add a "flighty eye" that can go over pits, but still have the basic eye logic.

07-02-2003 at 04:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Call them flying eyes!

I think the doubtful eye would be way too easy, unless it was more intelligent and couldn't be fooled. The others are good, although the eye mother doesn't really add much. Also, how would you distinguish between the types? Colours?

"Oook!"
07-08-2003 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
acidwolf
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
For the Doubtful Eye, if it sees you in two consecutive turns it shoots a laser out of it's eye and instantly kills you in that turn. That will make the game a lot more complex as you have to be careful which path you take.
07-09-2003 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
leventdal
I think the doubtful eye would be way too easy, unless it was more intelligent and couldn't be fooled. The others are good, although the eye mother doesn't really add much. Also, how would you distinguish between the types? Colours?

Doubtful eye can be red (inspiration blood)
Eye mother can be 4 small eyes each in a corner.
Eagle eye can have a very large iris.

For the Doubtful Eye, if it sees you in two consecutive turns it shoots a laser out of it's eye and instantly kills you in that turn. That will make the game a lot more complex as you have to be careful which path you take.

The idea is nice in my opinion but I guess there are some concerns about long range weapons.

Hmm...I can see the reference to the double take in the doubtful eyes, but I'm not sure if I really like it yet. Maybe it could blink or something, instead of turning. Then again, the real problem with this is that it's almost too easy to kill.

I like the eagle eye idea.

And for the name of the third thing...how about "Eyes of the Spider" (Rocky)

And while we're on the topic of eyes, I want to add a "flighty eye" that can go over pits, but still have the basic eye logic.

It is definitely easy to kill in close range but the main concept is the single change of walking on its sight. You can't fight with huge number of monsters if you don't want to atract the doubtful eye.

"Eyes of the spider" or may be "fly eyes" can be used. Eye mother resembles a birth occation.
07-09-2003 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Eye Variations: Doubtful Eye, Eagle Eye, Eye Mother (0)  
leventdal wrote:
The idea is nice in my opinion but I guess there are some concerns about long range weapons.

How about, if a Doubtful Eye notices you, you're frozen within its line of sight? ie you can move towards and away from it & swing your sword, but not escape its gaze. If two Doubtful Eyes from two different directions notice you at the same time, you're frozen on the spot (but still able to swing your sword)...

[Edited by StuartK on 07-09-2003 at 11:04 PM]
07-10-2003 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
No, I agree, long range actions are not part of the DROD "style". Being killed or frozen from far away is not a good addition to DROD, in my opinion. There are enough puzzle games where you have to push a block in front of some "instant long range kill" creature that I don't want DROD to go that way.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-10-2003 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
leventdal
How about, if a Doubtful Eye notices you, you're frozen within its line of sight? ie you can move towards and away from it & swing your sword, but not escape its gaze. If two Doubtful Eyes from two different directions notice you at the same time, you're frozen on the spot (but still able to swing your sword)...

You can find something similar to this in http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=597
07-10-2003 at 12:55 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Eye Variations: Doubtful Eye, Eagle Eye, Eye Mother
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com