Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Glitches when uploading demos (Saved games have corrupted room ID)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Watcher
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 902
IP: Logged
icon Glitches when uploading demos (0)  
For a while now, I've been having a small problem. Each time DROD finished uploading a demo to CaravelNet, the game would beep and produce the error message 'Assertion error in line 544 of C:\\Caravel\\DROD17\\DRODLib\\DbSavedGames.cpp: "*iter"'.

Unfortunately, these began to show up shortly before my last long break from DROD, so I can't remember why they appeared. However, there's a very simple solution to the problem: Simply export your player, delete your player in-game, then reimport. Apparently, the problem was caused by some sort of data corruption (looking at the error, I'd guess that the number of saved games was registred incorrectly somewhere in data.dat, or something similar). In any case, the only side effect from the workaround is that all demos will be marked as not uploaded, so a full upload will take a long time the first time it's done.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-04-2006 08:59 AM : updated thread title]
07-26-2005 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Just for the record (0)  
Watcher wrote:
For a while now, I've been having a small problem. Each time DROD finished uploading a demo to CaravelNet, the game would beep and produce the error message 'Assertion error in line 544 of C:\\Caravel\\DROD17\\DRODLib\\DbSavedGames.cpp: "*iter"'.
If you've fixed the problem in your installation, then that's great. However, I'm not quite sure which situation you're referring to when this happened -- does it happen while uploading all your demos with the "Submit my Scores" button, or only when victory demos are uploaded in-game?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-08-2005 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
mrimer wrote:
If you've fixed the problem in your installation, then that's great. However, I'm not quite sure which situation you're referring to when this happened -- does it happen while uploading all your demos with the "Submit my Scores" button, or only when victory demos are uploaded in-game?

Both, in fact. After completing a room, DROD would beep shortly before the "nth place" message showed up. When uploading all scores, DROD would beep at the very end of the process.

I backed up my .dat files before exporting, so if you want them, I can upload them here.

08-09-2005 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459

File: TahnanJtRH.player (888.9 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Oh, *crud* (+1)  
So I was having this very problem:

*** 2/4/06 2:49AM *** Assertion error in line 559 of C:\\Caravel\\DROD17\\DRODLib\\DbSavedGames.cpp: "*iter" Assertion error in line 569 of C:\\Caravel\\DROD17\\DRODLib\\DbSavedGames.cpp: "*iter"

so I tried the fix. I exported my player file, and deleted the player. Unfortunately, when I tried to reimport, I got the message "ERROR: File corrupted." Please, please tell me this doesn't mean I just lost all my progress on various holds? (The drod.err file hasn't picked up any new error messages.)

[Edit: attached my player file, for what it's worth.]

[Last edited by Tahnan at 02-04-2006 08:17 AM : Attaching player file.]
02-04-2006 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Just for the record (+1)  
Eek. It would have been really good, before doing something like this, to backup the entire DROD folder to somewhere else. But since you apparently didn't do that...well, I guess post the .player file here (edit: which you did while I was typing) or mail it to bugs@caravelgames.com and see if it can be saved. You might have to supply some of your .dat files too, but wait to see if Mike needs them.

I find it odd that this problem just resurfaced 6 months later, without anyone else having it. Now...I saw in another thread that you were "new" to high scores. So I am assuming you just bought CaravelNet. Did you also just buy JtRH? Did you somehow install an old version over a new one? Is your version the newest? (I can't assume.) The more information given, the better, even if you think we should already know it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 02-04-2006 08:23 AM]
02-04-2006 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Okay, Tahnan, it says it's corrupted for me too. I think you're just going to have to sit tight and wait for Mike to check it out when he gets a chance. In the meantime you could reinstall to a different folder if you still want to play something.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-04-2006 at 08:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer

File: TahnanJtRH_Fixed.player (889 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Just for the record (+2)  
Tahnan, I've fixed your player file and attached it here. It should be importable now. Also, I think I've tracked down the source of this problem and have fixed it and made the code robust to it. The fix will be in the next patch.

02-04-2006 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Oneiromancer wrote:
Eek. It would have been really good, before doing something like this, to backup the entire DROD folder to somewhere else.

Yeah boy huh that woulda been clever. Also, not trying to do it at three in the morning would've been clever, and I swear, I hope that, some day, I'll think before doing this sort of thing. (Hope that doesn't come across as too sarcastic--I'm being sarcastic at my expense, not yours.)

Now...I saw in another thread that you were "new" to high scores. So I am assuming you just bought CaravelNet. Did you also just buy JtRH? Did you somehow install an old version over a new one? Is your version the newest? (I can't assume.) The more information given, the better, even if you think we should already know it.

No, no reason you should know it. So: I acquired JtRH around, say, January 12th (from the Prize Pile); or at least that's the date-of-creation of the folder. It is 2.0.12, which I think is the most recent version? I did a clean install of it, rather than installing it over anything.

I did just acquire, in the last week or so, a CaravelNet subscription. Things seemed to be going OK, though there were times it seemed slow uploading scores; I'd suddenly get three or four score reports superimposed (like, "12th place tie!" and "25th place!", which were clearly each from a few rooms earlier). Realizing, though, that I couldn't see the high scores for JtRH itself, I figured the problem was that I had played JtRH before buying the CaravelNet subscription, and therefore my scores weren't uploaded. So I went into settings and clicked "upload scores".

But shortly after that I lost my connection to CaravelNet. I checked the FAQ, checked my drod.err file, came across this topic. And, er, hm, what else?
02-04-2006 at 09:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
icon Re: Just for the record (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
Tahnan, I've fixed your player file and attached it here. It should be importable now. Also, I think I've tracked down the source of this problem and have fixed it and made the code robust to it. The fix will be in the next patch.

...ooooh, so my stupidity did some good! In case you wondered, I'm the better idiot they built when you made your code idiot-proof. Out of curiosity: is this some random glitch, or is this the result of my having done something very, very wrong?

(The new .player file does work, by the way. Thank you ever so much.)
02-04-2006 at 09:11 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tahnan wrote:
In case you wondered, I'm the better idiot they built when you made your code idiot-proof.
Oooh, that's one quote I've got to use some day myself... :D

np: Flanger - Midnight Sound (Midnight Sound)

02-04-2006 at 11:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Glitches when uploading demos (0)  
Yeah, this seems to have been caused by an obscure bug in the code that I think I've patched now.

02-04-2006 at 06:46 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Glitches when uploading demos (Saved games have corrupted room ID)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com