Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 West
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
lalalalala
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 West (0)  
Why aren't there any posts for level 19? Is everybody smarter than me or what :D :thumbsup
07-17-2005 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 West (0)  
Heh...I remember there being a bunch of questions on this room in beta, but it looks like none in the final release.

If you're having trouble with this room...it will help us help you if you say where, what you're trying to do (or what you think you need to do), etc.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-17-2005 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lalalalala
In fact I'm stuck in 2 east. I finished 1W as soon as I realised I have to drag and kill two of the golems at some specific points to prevent tar from becoming uncuttable. For 2E, no matter how efficiently I kill these roaches, I get stuck in the second hallway below the exit. If only I have one spare move, I would be able to go forward. What am I missing?
07-17-2005 at 08:38 PM
lalalalala
Sorry. It should be 2N2E, not 2E.
07-17-2005 at 08:40 PM
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
i think he means what part of the room. this is a very hard room, and i'm sure no one would wnat to tell you how to do all of it.

however, here's my two cents:

Click here to view the secret text

07-18-2005 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
lalalalala already beat this room....

lalalalala wrote:
I finished 1W as soon as I realised I have to drag and kill two of the golems at some specific points to prevent tar from becoming uncuttable.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-18-2005 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chopper
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
I got all the way to killing the queens and realized that the mud grew to a point where I couldn't work my way back. I started again, and now I'm beating my head on a wall. Is there a little trick I still haven't seen.
09-11-2005 at 10:08 PM
Oneiromancer
You mean the tar, not mud, right?
lalalalala wrote:
I finished 1W as soon as I realised I have to drag and kill two of the golems at some specific points to prevent tar from becoming uncuttable.
There's your trick. You just need to figure out exactly where to kill the golems.

Game on,

09-11-2005 at 10:14 PM
Chopper
My stuck point was exactly 1 square SE of the save point where it becomes 2x2. Ain't no way in hell you can drag a golem to there with all the roaches trying to kill me.
09-11-2005 at 10:57 PM
Oneiromancer

Game on,

09-11-2005 at 11:16 PM
Chopper
THAT I have done twice now, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a golem to block the spread up into the now open gate. Guess I don't follow "lure" a golem.
09-12-2005 at 02:19 AM
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
Chopper wrote: Guess I don't follow "lure" a golem.

09-12-2005 at 01:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chopper
Finally I understood a "cryptic" hint and managed to succeed. But, once again the sadist designers have managed to screw me. The top passage is now blocked in it's narrowest point precluding access to the mother. You guys are totally unreal.

I must be messing up the very beginning so maybe some kind soul could post a partial demo.

[Last edited by Chopper at 09-13-2005 02:29 PM]
09-13-2005 at 12:37 AM
Chopper
Ignore my previous post. After untold hours, I've managed to get it done. But I do have a question. Why is there no exit to the room beyond my being forced to play a secret room?
09-14-2005 at 02:39 AM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 West (+1)  
Sure there's an exit to the room...the way you came in, to the Southeast. Remember that you have to clear all required rooms to drop the blue door...so even if a room is a dead end it still has a purpose.

Game on,

09-14-2005 at 02:48 AM
wiseoldman
Rank Points: 50

File: level 19 1w.jpg (32.5 KB)
Downloaded 109 times.
License: Public Domain
Ok, I am at the "save point" and there are 15 moves left before spanning begins. There are 13 roaches on the way to me now. There are 13 move coming in 15 ticks. But if I try to reach the gateway I can't get there is a reasonable time, that being before 26 more roaches arrive which are far too many to eliminate as more are on the way.

I don't understand the talk about "positioning the stonemen" at a certain place. The 2 nearest stonemen to the gateway will do no good as there are, by now, far too many roaches to clear.

Obviously there must be another way that going for the gateway. But if you don't get to the gateway soon enough then there are too many roaches. Soooo ... I am at the save point, which seems obvious to be, but I have no idea how to proceed.

Suggestions or comments? (see graphic)
04-25-2006 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
Something else will happen in 15 moves:
04-25-2006 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Ok,I can block the 1 passage with a stoneman. I probably could block 4 passage with the E most stoneman. But then I have to enter the passage where the 1 queen is located and by this time there at "tons" of roaches there. So I would have to kill tons of roaches and then the queens all before the tar grows ... seems impossible. Then, managing the impossible I would have to go back and free the middle stoneman (while fighting off roaches) and draw him up to your 3 while roaches are coming from the W and the stoneman from the SE. Humm, another impossible task ....

Suggestions?
04-26-2006 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
That's the general idea, except that

04-26-2006 at 09:30 AM
wiseoldman
It takes me quite a bit of time to (a) block the #1 passage and get to the #4 area, (b) then still more time and vast amounts of luck to get a stoneman at #4. Then if I am lucky I suppose I could get the the queen in the W hallway, back track through the tar to the middle stoneman, drag him up to #2 all the while fighting roaches from the last queen.

It would be nice to get some help and how to proceed. It seems that if I can place a stoneman at #4 I have difficulty in advancing. Once I actually go the queen just to the upper right of #4 but ..... Am I suppose to advance down the westward hall to the queen, kill it, backtrack to the middle stoneman through the tar?????

Looks like I am between a rock and a hard place. I can't get to the globe in time to get back to the 2nd stone man to place him at 3 nor get to 3 in time to get the tar. What is one to do???

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 04-26-2006 07:10 PM : totally stumped for sure]
04-26-2006 at 06:47 PM
michthro
You're on the right track.
First try and get to this point in about 120 odd moves, and we'll take it from there. If you can't, post a demo of how you go about it up to there, and I'll try and see what goes wrong.

04-26-2006 at 07:49 PM
wiseoldman

File: JtRH Nineteenth Level 1W.demo (4.7 KB)
Downloaded 91 times.
Ok, here is my extremely poor try at this room. I did manage to get the stoneman at #4 but then I screwed up and couldn't maintain the two sword clearance I needed at the opening ... oh, well ... another disaster for sure :weep

I just can't seem to be so efficient in my moves that I can get to the #2 position and still protect against the roaches and get the stoneman up there ... and to make matter worse I can't find a way to get to the tarman before the gap up there closes.

Maybe I can get someone to play the room for me :weep

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 04-27-2006 12:55 AM]
04-27-2006 at 12:39 AM
michthro

File: JtRH Nineteenth Level 1W.demo (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 246 times.
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 West (+2)  
Ok, there's nothing wrong with your approach so far. You weren't stuck. I got myself to the same position (see attached demo), so you can see how to get out of there. I also played on a bit so you can get an idea of how to proceed from there.
04-27-2006 at 10:03 AM
wiseoldman
Thank you for the demo. I see that I was going in the right way but there were two points that needed to be corrected, (a) how to release the stoneman in the beginning, (b) how to attached the build-up of roaches, and (c) how to stop the progression of the tar near the choke point in the passage to the orb.

I will give it a try. When your demo stopped I saw that you would have 9 cycles (30 moves) to reach the tar man choke point and 4 cycle to get back to the other choke point. Hopefully, I will manage that also.
04-27-2006 at 02:28 PM
lilac_lush
Rank Points: 11
I've been struggling on this one for a few days now and have read the previous posts but to no avail. Can someone post a demo of how to do this one or at least getting the golems in place.
Cheers
09-07-2006 at 06:47 PM
michthro
Did you try the demo two posts above yours?
09-07-2006 at 08:17 PM
lilac_lush
Rank Points: 11
michthro wrote:
Did you try the demo two posts above yours?

Yep got it now, wasn't so much getting a golem in place as cutting down my moves.

Cheers
09-09-2006 at 07:50 PM
Maestoso
Rank Points: 15
Ok, this is driving me nuts. I can't find a way into the secret room to the west of this one. Is the entrance in this room? I could swear that I've scoured it carefully. Then again, I'm fairly sure that I've scoured most walls carefully trying to get into the silly room. Can anybody give me a room in which to search, at least?

Cheers,

Jolyon
11-03-2006 at 02:10 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
There's a thread about that somewhere... yes, the entrance is in this room...

"Oook!"
11-03-2006 at 02:15 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 West (+2)  
and if you don't get it.

11-03-2006 at 05:33 PM
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com