Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Outrage and Sorrow (Our News for July.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Outrage and Sorrow (0)  
If you aren't intensely angry or sad about something, then you aren't really alive, are you? One would think that a harmless little game like DROD would not evoke more than a petty gripe or mild case of miffedness. But no, DROD people are deeply emotive!

Last Chance for Free CaravelNet, I Really Mean It

A number of people seem to have been caught off-guard by CaravelNet membership no longer being bundled with purchases of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold. I gave you guys lots of warning, but still I hear these startled cries. So I will extend the offer until the end of July for people on the forum and mailing list. If you buy (or have bought) DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold in July, e-mail me at erikh@caravelgames.com asking for the "free CaravelNet", and I'll hook you up with all those extra online features. Don't anybody ask in August. It will just be depressing if you do that.

Info about CaravelNet

Dungeon Warfare

Patrick Fisher has got this crazy contest going on now that will appeal to people who like to make levels or people who like to play them. It's a two-parter, and you can still enter the first part without any real disadvantage. After the 15th, you can enter the second part. No doubt this doesn't make a terrific amount of sense. You should check out the contest announcement at the link below.

Contest Announcement

DROD for FreeBSD

Jamie Jones has completed the FreeBSD port of DROD. In case you didn't know, FreeBSD is a free Unix-like operating system, something like Linux. Now FreeBSD users need not be ashamed about running a DROD-less O/S. We will be distributing demos and full version FreeBSD DROD in much the same way as we do for Windows and Linux. The obvious question is "so where do I get it?" I'll be adding information at the link below this weekend.

more information

DRODCon 2005

You are invited to DRODCon 2005, an entire game convention which takes place within 30 square feet. Okay, DRODCon is actually held inside of another gaming convention, called "Dragonflight". Okay, I just have a table at the Dragonflight gaming convention. But to me, it is still "DRODCon", cognitive dissonance be damned!

If you are in the Bellevue, Washington area the weekend of August 26th, you should go to the show and say hello to me and Brittany. If anyone from the forum or mailing list shows up, identify yourself as such, and I will give you some free swag. Something cool like a Deadly Music of Death or Smitemaster's Selection CD.

convention info

Lost Part of My Brain

My little Maxtor spun its last spin while I was sleeping. Next morning, when the BIOS did a roll call of available storage devices, the Maxtor was conspicuously quiet. Oh man oh man. Long story short--I am a little disorganized these days due to losing quite a bit of data. The important stuff is all backed up or stored someplace, but I'm missing e-mail from June. If you sent me something that I haven't responded to for over a week, please e-mail me again with it. Sorry for the trouble.

Topic Picks for July

This is an executive summary of the CaravelNet forum brought to you by legions of middle managers. By the way, it is not necessary to have a CaravelNet membership to participate on the forum. Just go check it out!

Tower of Babel
Stick a fish in your ear and start babeling in whatever language suits you.
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6911

Working for the Empire
If you had a job with the Rooted Empire, what would it be? 523rd Pastry Chef?
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6873

The Hunt for the Grinfindel, Whispering Walls, Delver's Demise, Spherical Hold, War2, Idiot's Dungeon, An Event #1, Experimental Hold, the Final Confrontation
These are all the new holds that have been released since the last newsletter. More holds are now taking advantage of new elements from the DROD 2 engine.
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewboard.php?BoardID=11

"Sanctum 2" Mod
William Frank (Vylycyn) created a new graphical style for DROD!
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6928

New Game Idea
zex20913 has made a new forum game (or borrowed it from vaguely defined sources). It involves guessing a word based on deduction.
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6454

-Erik

07-12-2005 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
icon Re: Outrage and Sorrow (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
DRODCon 2005

You are invited to DRODCon 2005, an entire game convention which takes place within 30 square feet. Okay, DRODCon is actually held inside of another gaming convention, called "Dragonflight". Okay, I just have a table at the Dragonflight gaming convention. But to me, it is still "DRODCon", cognitive dissonance be damned!

If you are in the Bellevue, Washington area the weekend of August 26th, you should go to the show and say hello to me and Brittany. If anyone from the forum or mailing list shows up, identify yourself as such, and I will give you some free swag. Something cool like a Deadly Music of Death or Smitemaster's Selection CD.

convention info

Grr... that's what I'm angry about. I so want to go there, but I live on the other side of the country. Next time have it a little closer to Ohio. :D
07-13-2005 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Outrage and Sorrow (0)  
Zmann wrote:
Grr... that's what I'm angry about. I so want to go there, but I live on the other side of the country. Next time have it a little closer to Ohio. :D
Well, then I'm sorry--no swag for you! :)

-Erik

07-13-2005 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
For some reason, I just love the idea of doing something as incredibly geeky as travelling across the country to meet your favorite indie game developer. If I wasn't totally broke, I'd swear I'd do it too. I imagine it being quite akward though, as I know what you look like, but you don't what I look like. It'd be kinda weird meeting total strangers that you only know through text. I'm sure after we all got to know each other, it'd be a blast.

Anyway, I'll be there in spirit. You have any spirit swag?
07-13-2005 at 03:43 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
Yeah, if it was two weeks earlier, I *might* have been able to (Baring me borrowing my parents car for a road trip). Of course, I would need to have a fair amount of money, get a passport, find some hotels, plan my trip...

Crap. I don't think it was meant to be. How'd you like a postcard instead, Erik?

07-13-2005 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Unfortunately you'll have to count me out also. I'd love to meet "the man", but I am wheelchair bound so traveling isn't easy for me. Maybe some day..
07-13-2005 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
....You know, I /had/ 20 bucks in Paypal, right there, to get my JtRH and Caravel goodness.

But I didn't want one without the other, and...

;_;
07-13-2005 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
All you guys that aren't coming are dead to me.

Okay, not really. If anybody does show up, though, I'll be manic with joy.

-Erik

07-13-2005 at 07:31 PM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Hold the next one in Wales, and I'll be there!! :thumbsup

07-19-2005 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DeamonMonkey
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
I live in Seattle, right near the convention, but I'll be out of town.

Bad luck.
08-04-2005 at 01:37 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
DeamonMonkey wrote:
I live in Seattle, right near the convention, but I'll be out of town.

Bad luck.
Aww...no swag for you!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-04-2005 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Outrage and Sorrow (Our News for July.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com