Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug: Losing Dugan's Dungeon
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Bug: Losing Dugan's Dungeon (0)  
I've just completed Dugan's Dungeon on the beta, after losing my 1.5 datafile. I then went into the editor and deleted the easter egg room (for no particular reason). Dugan's Dungeon was then renamed to Eytan's Dugan's Dungeon, and the original was lost.

This has several implications - the first is, that once someone edits Dugan's Dungeon, he can never replay the original again. Then second is that, as I tested, if I export the player and re-import it, I lose my track record on the real Dugan's Dungeon - I have to start over, yet again.

This is really annoying - with most holds it's not a big deal because the holds can be re-imported, but of course that doesn't apply to Dugan's Dungeon.

I think that when someone edits a hold that wasn't created by him or herself, then a copy of the hold should be created for editing, instead of the current system - that's much safer, and allows for people to mess around with other people's holds without ruining the originals.

07-01-2003 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Bug: Losing Dugan's Dungeon (0)  
I think we should at least have an exported version of Dugan's Dungeon that people can import. Not only for this reason, but also if they happen to delete it, intentionally or otherwise, and want it back later, then they can get it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-01-2003 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
eytanz wrote:
I think that when someone edits a hold that wasn't created by him or herself, then a copy of the hold should be created for editing, instead of the current system - that's much safer, and allows for people to mess around with other people's holds without ruining the originals.

Having just found this problem myself, I think the best bet when editing another player's hold would be, on leaving the room, to give a message like "Do you want to save the changes you have made to <author>'s hold <name of hold>?" This would then disallow accidental editing being saved. Then, if they choose Yes, create a copy as Eytan suggested.

This occurred to me when I accidently erased a square in Dugan's, then replaced it. An even better solution would be to determine whether the dungeon has altered since it was last saved, and if not, do not re-save it. This might be a fair bit of work though.

Yes, this is more of a request than a bug, but I would like not to have to play "Mark's King Dugan's Dungeon (orginally by Erik Hermansen)" when the original is excellent as it is. :D

"Oook!"
07-05-2003 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Yeah, I think this is a good idea. I entered a task for it into the bug DB.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-05-2003 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug: Losing Dugan's Dungeon
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com