Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Apologies for a Disappearance
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Apologies for a Disappearance (+2)  
I haven't been on the Forums for some time, and, although I wouldn't normally make much of a fuss about it, this time is um... ever so slightly different.

You see, I had two unfortunate coincidences that together stopped just about all my DRODing. First, I had a set of exams (which stopped all non-academic activities anyway), and this, I guess, interrupted my normal routine of playing DROD. The second was, however, I think a little inexcusable. I managed (after seeing so many talking about it here) to, um.... obtain and then purchase a copy of a game called Avernum. Unfortunately, as anyone who has played it might know, it can be immensely time-consuming, and so I began devoting quite a fraction of free time to it, and continued not to play DROD at all. The main problem with this is that I feel very guilty for playing Avernum instead of DROD, which is silly, but I guess it's maybe to do with the fact that I've been playing it for so long, and also because the DROD shortcut is on my desktop too, so I look at it every day.

So, I guess it's a bit silly, but hopefully I'll now have more time to devote to DROD and catch up on all I've missed.

[Oh, and as a side-note, Avernum (Actually, Avernum 2 to be more precise), is a really cool game. I quite wish I'd taken the recommendation about it more seriously when I first saw it. It doesn't look amazing, but hidden beneath the grim exterior is an involved plot, a massive world to explore, and a well-organised turn and combat system, although perhaps it is a little sparse with statistics (I like to calculate things in turn-based games). I've not played many RPGs, but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it (although it may eat up more time than you imagine, so approach with caution).]

07-03-2005 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Apologies for a Disappearance (0)  
Glad you're back! :cool

Don't worry, you haven't missed much. You passed your exams, right?

This is a quite interesting thread, and I also want to say that I'm quite quiet on these forums lately, as I'm trying to finish my backlog of other games that I haven't had time for.

I do read the posts and mail and everything else, but I'm not planning to do a lot of testing currently.

Will be back after finishing "Ocarina of Time" (and possibly Windwaker and Prime). :D (Yes, I know these games are almost ancient...)

-- Tim

07-03-2005 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
icon Re: Apologies for a Disappearance (+1)  
Glad you're back, Agaricus5. I love those games too, so I don't blame you.

A little tidbit: Avernum is made by Spiderweb Software, the guys who used to host SubTerra as shareware (it is now hosted as freeware by Caravel Games (A.K.A. the DROD team)), and has its own forum, listed between the Electronic Games and Forum Games forums.

The best hold in the world!

[Last edited by SKWERLL at 07-03-2005 10:23 PM]
07-03-2005 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Apologies for a Disappearance (0)  
Fully understandable, Agaricus. To be hoenst, I'm semi-away right now myself - I still check the forums but I'm in a summer school at MIT until early August and I don't actually have DROD itself here, so I can't play, respond to new holds, or work on my own holds (I have a laptop but I decided not to install any games on it...)

07-04-2005 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Apologies for a Disappearance
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com