Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Dealing with highscores in empty rooms
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Dealing with highscores in empty rooms (0)  
If I have a demo in a room empty of monsters, once I've played the room the first time, there's no way I can update it - further demos for the room are not recorded. This means I can't better entrance room demos if I fluff them, nor rooms like JtRH level 25 3W, and cannot record 1 move demos for later on in levels, if I don't remember to do so when first entering a room. Could this be fixed somehow?

[Last edited by StuartK at 06-28-2005 09:26 AM]
06-25-2005 at 01:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Dealing with highscores in empty rooms (0)  
I try restoring but it doesn't always work.

06-26-2005 at 05:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Dealing with highscores in empty rooms (+2)  
If you restore the game to a state where the room has not yet been explored, then a new victory demo will be created once you enter the room again.

Also, note that in the case of a level entrance, you need to restore to the level before and walk down the stairs (or press 'Start New Game' if it's the first level).

06-27-2005 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Works well, the only problem now being whether architects included checkpoints at the end of previous levels, or checkpoints near to where empty rooms are (and that the player used them) Without this players may end up having to complete some rooms again in order to get the game into the correct state, e.g. I had to complete a good proportion of JtRH L25 again in order to access 2W of that level.
06-28-2005 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
This poses the philosophical question of which empty rooms warrant high scores... :cool
07-20-2005 at 04:09 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Do any ?
If you can just go in and out of the room, hence producing a "1" score...

How best to code it though ? Maybe the server can filter out any rooms which have had a 'high score' of 1... so if anyone does such a room it will be picked up as an empty one...

07-21-2005 at 01:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Theres also empty entrance rooms, which have a demo of something more than just one move.
On the other hand, theres been a bit of discussion about some way of making it possible to have high scores for empty puzzle-rooms (trapdoors etc). Coming up with a great way of doing that would solve many problems. In the meantime, I agree, empty rooms shouldn't have high scores at all.
07-21-2005 at 04:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
There are a many possibles for 'monsterless' puzzle rooms that could benifit from being able to upload demos - yellow doors, red doors, wubbas, bomb mazes, arrow mazes, stagnant tar or mud that the player needs to maneuver through, or combos of any of these elements.

Of course, the simple way to resolve the problem is place a single roach, or brain or whatever on the other side of the puzzle the player needs to solve. I had one monsterless puzzle room in Happy House that was a yellow/red door puzzle. When I updated that hold in HIJK I just added a brain behind the red door to allow for demos.

07-21-2005 at 09:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Another solution is to enforce entry and exit points with force arrows. For example, this room in my Unfortunate Architect entry. (there is another arrow in the room to the west)

It is a less elegant solution than adding a monster, as you may not want (or even be able to assign) strictly defined entries/exits. Also, if you are trying to get a high score in such a room and you want to change your starting sword position then you will need to restore to a previous room to fix it. (Rather than simply ducking out and in)

07-21-2005 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mister
Rank Points: 104
Another solutions:

- Add an option of "don't save highscore" in the editor. Simple, but doesn't allow for puzzles in monsterless rooms unless some trick is used (force arrows in the entrance)

- Add new script options to enable/disable highscores (to detect if entrance/exit are not the same, for example). Flexible, but architects would need to be extra careful. It also allows for more complex conditions of victory, or challenges.
07-21-2005 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
Rank Points: 177
Rabscuttle wrote:
Another solution is to enforce entry and exit points with force arrows. For example, this room in my Unfortunate Architect entry. (there is another arrow in the room to the west)

It is a less elegant solution than adding a monster, as you may not want (or even be able to assign) strictly defined entries/exits. Also, if you are trying to get a high score in such a room and you want to change your starting sword position then you will need to restore to a previous room to fix it. (Rather than simply ducking out and in)
Yes, this can be a real pain in the bum for anal-retentives like me.
07-23-2005 at 04:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Dealing with highscores in empty rooms
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com