Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Orthogonal tiles do not effect bomb blast radius
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Orthogonal tiles do not effect bomb blast radius (0)  
Bomb blasts stretch to a distance of 3 away from the bomb when it explodes. It would be more consistent for orthogonal tiles to 'channel' the blast into a diamond shape rather than the current square (always a distance of 3 away from the epicentre, but not using diagonals)

Selective use of normal and orthogonal tiles could be used to shape blasts in open spaces...
06-24-2005 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Orthogonal tiles do not effect bomb blast radius (0)  
It would probably be a pain to calculate the shape of a explosion that goes over some ortho squares and some regular squares.

06-24-2005 at 02:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Of course it would also be nice to be able to have fuses and orthogonal tiles in the same square :D
06-24-2005 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
eytanz wrote:
It would probably be a pain to calculate the shape of a explosion that goes over some ortho squares and some regular squares.
I've got no difficulty imagining how the explosion would look for a variety of basic different configurations of orthos (there's nothing counter-intuitive about it) though it would depend on trusting the architect not to use the behaviour to excess, or in just plain random combinations (i.e. lazy design) Many other basic game elements can already be abused, but obviously this was not a reason not to implement them.
06-24-2005 at 10:21 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
StuartK wrote:
eytanz wrote:
I've got no difficulty imagining how the explosion would look for a variety of basic different configurations of orthos (there's nothing counter-intuitive about it) though it would depend on trusting the architect not to use the behaviour to excess, or in just plain random combinations (i.e. lazy design) Many other basic game elements can already be abused, but obviously this was not a reason not to implement them.

I wasn't actually thinking in terms of abuse of the player. More about extra processing load on the engine. But thinking again it's not really much of a problem.

The main problem of this suggestion is that, being a change to already existing elements, it may break existing rooms. Now, this isn't really a bug except in the sense that it didn't occur to anyone to implement this during the development period, so I'm a bit concerned about breaking peoples' holds based on it. Including, potentially, JtRH.

[Last edited by eytanz at 06-25-2005 01:04 AM]
06-24-2005 at 02:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
I'll wager one (1) greckle no rooms in JtRH would be affected.

I realise I was stretching the definition of 'bug' by putting the post on this board rather than feature requests (I'd still classify it as 'oversight') The precedent with other game elements e.g. modifications to invisibility potions had been set, but if moderators feel it's appropriate I've no objection to it being moved to feature requests.
06-25-2005 at 01:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Orthogonal tiles do not effect bomb blast radius
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com