Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bugs & notes for build 25 so far
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Bugs & notes for build 25 so far (0)  
Some notes.

I played with deleting and importing my build 23 player data for a while. At one point, I exited Drod with no player data installed, and reloading didn't start Drod properly, although it was present in the task list. I couldn't repeat this. I'm supposing my build 23 player data could have introduced some corruption. Reinstalled.

I copied all rooms from my old hold over to a new one (just some doodles) Copy+pasted a room at a time.

I was putting together a room (roach queen endurance challenge) and when playing (not playtesting) there were no roach queens onscreen. I removed a checkpoint in the room, and the roach queens reappeared when playing. I cycled this a couple of times to confirm. Roach queen disappearo. I've not tried with any other creatures yet.

(Just tried playing this hold again, restore option having disappeared inbetween switching between holds at some point, and when playing, I get an immediate crash)

Beethro appears in the middle of every room in the editor for me (the start room and all others, for all holds I've got at the moment, I've not been collecting) Very distracting.

Sometime later I get a crash on exporting player data. I had 'upgraded' my build 23 data to build 25 by importing/exporting/importing as advised.

The game still played. I was on level 22, completed the entrance room, completed a room on the left. When I came back to the entrance room, it needed completing again. Still won't alow me to export data so I'm going to reinstall and hope my build 23 player data works better without holds complicating the issue.

[Edited by StuartK on 06-29-2003 at 05:13 PM GMT: More descriptive title]
06-29-2003 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Bugs & notes for build 25 so far (0)  
StuartK wrote:
Some notes.
Stuart, I'm going to break some of these out into separate topics. It's easier for me to keep track of them.
At one point, I exited Drod with no player data installed, and reloading didn't start Drod properly, although it was present in the task list.
See "re: DROD not starting properly."
I removed a checkpoint in the room, and the roach queens reappeared when playing. I cycled this a couple of times to confirm. Roach queen disappearo.
See "re: Differences in play vs. playtest."
(Just tried playing this hold again, restore option having disappeared inbetween switching between holds at some point, and when playing, I get an immediate crash)
See "re: Crash when playing."
Beethro appears in the middle of every room in the editor for me (the start room and all others, for all holds I've got at the moment, I've not been collecting) Very distracting.
Okay, that will be fixed in the next build.
Sometime later I get a crash on exporting player data. I had 'upgraded' my build 23 data to build 25 by importing/exporting/importing as advised.
See "re: Crash when exporting player."
Still won't alow me to export data so I'm going to reinstall and hope my build 23 player data works better without holds complicating the issue.
It's quite possible that the hold data has got some kinks in it since it came from older builds with bugs that we've since fixed.

-Erik

07-01-2003 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Bugs & notes for build 25 so far (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Stuart, I'm going to break some of these out into separate topics. It's easier for me to keep track of them.

Not me, I'm getting thoroughly confused replying to multiple related messages. You're making me use my brain in new, untested ways :D

(Plus, this editing interface *sucks* for me - not meant as a specific attack on this particular one - you already know my feelings on web forums in general)

*ahem*

The problems I was encountering were kind of happening one after another. What I /should/ have done was report the first one, and wait for a response to that, instead of pushing on, experiencing more and messier problems, getting fed up, and reinstalling. I suspect all the problems I was listing were related (e.g. repeatedly importing corrupt data leading from one thing to another, or something else stoopid I was doing)

I've also been a bad tester, and I know you won't like this. I should have kept the unusable build 25 installs that gave me crash problems, but not thinking, I uninstalled/reinstalled instead. :evilmad: Sorry :(

FWIW, unless the uninstall process deletes any drod.err error logs, there were not any such files in my Drod build 25 folders (I reinstalled in the same folder) Not very helpful I know.

I've tried some more testing tonight on the install I've been using successfully over the past 2-3 days, and the problems I saw were largely not repeatable (only the confirmed bugs others have been posting about) I didn't do much with this install though, just imported my testing hold (exported from build 23) copied some rooms across to a fresh hold, created a new room with a checkpoint that looked like the one causing me problems, and that was it, it played fine.

I have just had one or two new problems in a another fresh install, that I'll make another post about. This might still all be down to corrupt build 23 data though...

Still won't alow me to export data so I'm going to reinstall and hope my build 23 player data works better without holds complicating the issue.
It's quite possible that the hold data has got some kinks in it since it came from older builds with bugs that we've since fixed.

The hold I was playing and editing was one I created new in build 25, and copy+pasted across the rooms individually from the pre-build 25 hold. Should that copying process have fix any data errors?
07-01-2003 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Re: Re: Bugs & notes for build 25 so far (0)  
StuartK wrote:
The hold I was playing and editing was one I created new in build 25, and copy+pasted across the rooms individually from the pre-build 25 hold. Should that copying process have fixed any data errors?
Yes, just like I posted, this can fix up some (but not all) errors in pre-25 holds.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-01-2003 at 04:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Re: Bugs & notes for build 25 so far (0)  
StuartK wrote:
Not me, I'm getting thoroughly confused replying to multiple related messages. You're making me use my brain in new, untested ways :D
The problems I was encountering were kind of happening one after another. What I /should/ have done was report the first one, and wait for a response to that, instead of pushing on, experiencing more and messier problems, getting fed up, and reinstalling.
Stuart, I guess I feel that since you're not a professional tester doing this for money, I'm going to try not to be too picky. If you want to put your bugs together in one message and that helps you, I can work with that. No problem.

The important thing is that we need to be able to *reproduce* whatever it is you are seeing.

-Erik

07-02-2003 at 04:27 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bugs & notes for build 25 so far
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com