Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Conspicuously Tall Tower *edited this time* (Because damnit, there's an 'upstairs' for a reason.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged

File: The Conspicuously Tall Tower.hold (9.1 KB)
Downloaded 173 times.
License: Other
icon The Conspicuously Tall Tower *edited this time* (+2)  
If I have somehow made an unsolvable room, after testing it for hours today, /so help me god/. I swear I've done every room in here. Several times.

I'm kinda trying to foment an aesthetic aspect to the rooms I'm making, too. I fail miserably in Twice North, but that was more me poking about with sticks than anything. Besides, it's a change of pace.

And no, it's not done yet. Obviously. <_<

---------------------------------------------------------------

Right, so, changes thus far are pretty much 'lols, checkpoints', some roach that was there for reason I'm not entirely sure of, and making the 1E room a bit less 'argh wtf'. It's entirely possible you /might/ have to redo 1E, if the demo screws up, but that wasn't a terribly hard level to begin with. I've also made it a bit easier to tell what to do via scroll.

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:06-12-2005 at 09:55 PM]
06-10-2005 at 02:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: The Conspicuously Tall Tower (0)  
1N 2E: Is this doable? There's no safe spot, and the yellow doors can't save. you.
Edit: Nevermind. That's damned annoying though.

1E: Another irritance. This style of room isn't fun, but vexing. If the ortho squares weren't there it would be fine.

Just completed the hold. I would consider reducing the amount of gimmick rooms.

[Edited by Hatlore at Local Time:06-10-2005 at 10:56 PM]

[Edited by Hatlore at Local Time:06-10-2005 at 11:19 PM]
06-10-2005 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
icon Re: The Conspicuously Tall Tower (-1)  
1E: Another irritance. This style of room isn't fun, but vexing. If the ortho squares weren't there it would be fine.

Click here to view the secret text

Edit: wait, I'm dumb.

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:06-11-2005 at 12:28 AM]
06-10-2005 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I've only got one comment to make (other than the fact I enjoyed it etc):

2N2E (and to a lesser extent, 1N2E)

If a fuse is on a trapdoor and you step on it then step off the very next turn, it'll stop. You'll need to fix that for 2N2E, otherwise theres no time limit at all. (And its a minor annoyance in 1N2E , but there you have to let it get to the brains anyway.)
06-11-2005 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hatlore
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: The Conspicuously Tall Tower (-1)  
Banjooie wrote:

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:06-11-2005 at 12:28 AM]

I went in that route because at the time it was the only obvious route. Puzzles that (and I know I'm possibly spoiling something here yet I do not care) set up elaborate looking puzzles which turn out to be unsolvable (which your hold has plenty of) and can only be solved through some sneaky trick or hidden entrance aren't fun. They're cheap tricks that require 5 minutes of frustration followed by two minutes of eyerolling as the room becomes suddenly simple.

Ascetics is not a problem in your hold, it had a good feel to it. Playability is.
06-11-2005 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cbemom
Rank Points: 36
I liked this hold - great to look at, and the tricky puzzles were fun to figure out. You could make it a little more challenging.

06-11-2005 at 06:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Hatlore: Okay, what if I make the entrance in the lower left hand corner a bit more obvious? And, uh, what other 'unsolvable puzzles' are there? Because I'm fairly sure my only cheap trick was 1E. (Also, re: Apathy: Ouch, burn. :()

TripleM: Fixed, I'll upload as soon as I hear about the, er, rest of my rooms from Hatlore here. I'm not entirely sure how I missed that.

Cbemom: Well, it IS the first level, I don't want to go all out, and I'm hearing I'm too cheap as it is. :P But thanks.

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:06-11-2005 at 08:49 AM]
06-11-2005 at 08:48 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Wow! This was a very fun level! I kept screaming in every room when I solved it. :thumbsup

I want to write some comments about the rooms, but then I will probably use "fun" for all the rooms, becasue it is :)

I don't think you need to make the "secret wall" less obvious at all. My experience is, that even if you put a very large arrow in the room, or even a large scroll, some players will still spent 5 minutes to see if it is possible, I'm afraid.

I'd suggest those people play Bavato's Dungeon first.

-- Tim

06-11-2005 at 02:31 PM
Banjooie
Tim: Alright. Anything I could do to /improve/ them, before I start work on the next level?
06-11-2005 at 06:02 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Ok, a few comments:

Maybe sounds overly critical, but it was a nice hold - it didn't bore me, therefore good. Disliked some of the cheap tricks though. Right sort of difficulty for a first floor, but consider checkpoint placement - it's nice to have them even in easy rooms if there's a chance you can mess up.

"Oook!"
06-12-2005 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
On the contrary, having a critical analysis is what lets me make the hold /better/. Alright, lemme take a look at all this.

Rightio. Now that I have a ton of things to fix, I'mma spruce up the first hold and reupload it in a touch here.
06-12-2005 at 08:30 PM
Wiz
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: The Conspicuously Tall Tower *edited this time* (0)  
note that i haven't played it yet,just an idea,if you're going for a tall tower don't hesitate to make early levels fairly easy,introducing monsters and ideas,it's more fun (when linked to harder levels,further).It avoids having a hard-time-only hold :D i'll test your work now to see,even if i'm not used to do this ^^
06-13-2005 at 09:45 AM
Banjooie
Um, yeah. That's what I was saying, yeah. Except with more sentences and less sugar rush. ;)
06-13-2005 at 04:58 PM
Wiz
well sorry if i sound useless :| just want to point out that brains are never a good idea until you reach high levels -_- i know everyone loves brains that can't be helped but there ought to be ways to make decent puzzles without brains i guess :D of course you can make easy rooms with brains but they were not designed for this ,in my opinion.That being said,i must admit i liked the trick in 2N 1N which is a new way to use abilities of spiders.All rooms are ok except 2N 1W and 1N2E for the brains but then again i must say i enjoyed the rooms on this floor,difficulty is ok,and it's after all just my opinion :D If you go for a tall tower you may want to go for a more thematic approach for building the floors,the same way deep dungeons usually are built.That's all :D (plz don't burn me :| )
06-15-2005 at 03:02 PM
Banjooie
Okay, Wiz. Uh.

Those wubbas are utterly useless without the brains. It's part of the very nature of the puzzle. Try removing 'em. Also, what you're saying is kinda hard to read. Could you, uh, make a somewhat larger effort at clarity? You get a bit incoherent here and there, so.

Also, there'll be more signs it's a tower as you go up, but that's part of the, uh, mystery.
06-16-2005 at 02:59 AM
Wiz
I apologize.I'm always the only one to understand myself.I just wanted to add that i like the decoration in there :D and,well,that's all ^^ I wouldn't be coherent enough anyway ^^
06-16-2005 at 05:32 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Conspicuously Tall Tower *edited this time* (Because damnit, there's an 'upstairs' for a reason.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com