Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Multi-square monsters (Just, like, a crazy thought.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Multi-square monsters (+1)  
We have a 2x2 Roach Queen like being. We'll call it a Zwiggle.

It flees, and every 30 turns, it surrounds itself in Mini-Zwiggle eggs as best it can. These egged Zwiggles are only 1x1 squares, and don't reproduce.

When your sword enters a square with a Zwiggle in it, that part is destroyed. You still can't move into that spot, but it will not produce eggs. (It's going to be, like, obviously not doing anything.) When you've stabbed all four parts, then the Zwiggle dies, and the parts disappear. Or, perhaps they don't, leaving you a rather large blockade to deal with or use for cover.

Perhaps other Zwiggle-like monsters, that don't reproduce, but drop their parts as they're struck, leaving impassable obstacles.
06-06-2005 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Multi-square monsters (0)  
So, just to clarify, these Zwiggles that hatch from eggs simply act like roaches, yes?

I like the concept of 2x2 monsters...I think they could provide a unique challenge for sure. Makes me wish I was a programmer so I could code them up to test different kinds out. :(

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-06-2005 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Yeah. Just your generic roach. I think anything more (Since these would produce 10 roaches in open space) would be a very bad idea.
06-06-2005 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
A rock golem queen/spawner/workshop/factory, perhaps? It would probably have to be immobile. ( if it runs nto a corner, which would happen a lot with a queen-like creature, it would be inaccessible, and how would something so huge and heavy that can spawn rock monsters move anyway?) Since rock golems are difficult to deal with, they would spawn every 2 cycles (changing their graphic to show that the golems will be ready at the end of this cycle).

But actually, what would be the point of these? As all queenlike creatures, they would run into a corner, plus the parts die seperately, so why not just place 4 roach queens/create a rock golem queen. You can already create immobile queens and queens in whose place you cannot not enter with force arrows too, so I have a hard time thinking of any puzzles benifiting from a 2x2 queen monster.
06-07-2005 at 02:20 PM
Banjooie
Well, it doesn't really have to be a queen, either. A 2x2 rock golem monster with detached parts upon stabbing sounds about good.
06-07-2005 at 08:31 PM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
A 2x2 rock golem could be more interesting, however it wold have probelms moving in a situation like this:

.rr
./r
B..

Where r is the monster, / is the sword and B is Beethro. If a rock pile is created under /, the monster has blocked itself from Beethro.
06-07-2005 at 09:22 PM
Banjooie
--True, but if it moved towards you instead of away?

Actually, wait. If that's a wall, it hasn't broken anything. If it's a corner...don't hit it when it's in a corner.

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:06-08-2005 at 12:20 AM]
06-08-2005 at 12:19 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I like the Zwiggle idea. Well, if your bad it spawns 12 roaches. THats much. Well. Lets say every part spawns just 1 roach in that pattern :

XSXX
SZZX
XZZS
XXSX
06-08-2005 at 01:08 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Multi-square monsters (Just, like, a crazy thought.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com