Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold - Swordfighting and Exploration for the beginer v.1.0 (This is my first hold. Please give me suggestions on how to improve it. Iv'e made it fairly easy.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
SFE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
IP: Logged

File: Swordfighting and Exploration for the Novice.hold (13.5 KB)
Downloaded 179 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold - Swordfighting and Exploration for the beginer v.1.0 (+5)  
This our first hold. It should be fairly easy for a medium level player. If you see a scroll in a room asking for ideas for that room, please put those ideas as a reply to this post. If you have any general suggestions to improve the hold, please put those suggestions as a reply to this post. :thumbsup Well, test it and comment :D
06-05-2005 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: New Hold - Swordfighting and Exploration for the beginer v.1.0 (+1)  
Okay. Just played floors one and two. If there are more it's news to me, because the floor 2 stairway sends you back to floor 2.

It's good to see more people building holds. And I have a few general suggestions for you.

1) Less is more. A lot of your rooms had a lot of detail to them, and looked pretty nice. A lot of them, however, were ascetically strange or unappealing. Invisibility potions and checkpoints are seemingly scattered without rhyme or reason.

2) Check your room exits. A lot of your spaces that open into the next room are smaller on the other side, causing certain squares of room exits not to do anything.

3) Check your enemy facing. This usually doesn't matter. However, with Eyes, it matters a great deal. There's no danger from eyes that are pointed towards walls.

4) Stop writing words on your rooms. There's no good way to put this. But it looks silly. And it doesn't make for good challenge.

5) Difficulty. The hold's a little bit easy. None of the monsters you have placed are paticularly dangerous, most of them are roaches sealed behind toggle doors. It doesn't get much easier than that.

It's a good first attempt. But there's room for improvement.

[Edited by Hatlore at Local Time:06-05-2005 at 08:01 AM]
06-05-2005 at 08:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
Nice hold (for beginners). I played floors 1 + 2 and there ok but...

1.) Red doors and trapdoors are resetted if you leave the room ! So in level 1 you can trap yourself and have to restore. (1W + 1S1W)

2.) Invisibility Potions : They seem to be scatterd around every floor. Why ?

3.) Placement of monsters : 80% of your monsters have to be killed with Ctrl + Q/W or Ctrl 2/4/6/8. However there are also good placed ones in some places (201 : 1W)

4.) Beware of the Roach Queen !! Why ? She cant spawn on diabled toggle walls ! Put them in amoung free space so they can spawn.
:P

5.) Room Art : "Writing" in rooms is okay, but is usually only used in few bonus rooms. For normal Text messages you can use a Scroll. (And why is 2S1W (101) named scroll ? There is no scroll in the room. And why Slime ? 2S1W (201) )

6.) Evil Eyes : Those poor eyebally just can look at the wall. They didnīt have ecen a chance :weep

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:06-05-2005 at 10:50 AM]
06-05-2005 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cbemom
Rank Points: 36
Meckmeck and Hatlore have pointed out several things - let me just add a few.

First, congrats on your first hold, you have a great start here.

The writer in me cringes when scrolls are misspelled - entrance. Oh, and lose the exclamation on every scroll - it gets old fast.

I would suggest if you are using trapdoors, to make a puzzle of them - something the player needs to work out.

A "beginners" hold is welcome here, even for more advanced players - it can be a nice brain break. But - there is no challenge here even on the second level. Let some of the little buggers run free, so the player needs to hunt them.

Please turn those poor eyes around so they at least have a fighting chance!

Keep going - on this board you will find people willing to help you create a great hold.

one last thing - level 2, 1W - this room sent my ADHD brain into shutdown - it is too busy.

06-08-2005 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SFE

File: Jnis Tomb v20 Hard.hold (22.1 KB)
Downloaded 86 times.
This is SFE again.

I have the split the hold into an easy and and hard version.
I am releasing the hard version! I have made it harder, expanded the hold, and double-checked everything to make sure it works.

06-09-2005 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SFE

File: Jnis Tomb v20 Easy.hold (21 KB)
Downloaded 98 times.
icon Re: New Hold - Swordfighting and Exploration for the beginer v.1.0 (0)  
This is SFE again.

I am releasing the easy version! I have made it more interseting, expanded the hold, and double-checked everything to make sure it works. I have also made sure you can go back and forth.

J'nis Tomb 2.9.7
06-09-2005 at 05:55 AM
MeckMeck GRE
SFE wrote:
This is SFE again.

I am releasing the hard version! I have made it harder, expanded the hold, and double-checked everything to make sure it works.

Hard / 101 / 2E : is impossible to exit via the stairs because of the green double wall. And if you go back to 2E1N you cant exit because of red doors.

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:06-09-2005 at 01:37 PM]
06-09-2005 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
Rank Points: 42
Your hard version isn't.
06-11-2005 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cbemom
Rank Points: 36
took a look at easy hold - much better, cleaner, though there is still a lot of potions laying around.

some comments
1S - why do you enforce invisble in SE corner?
1W - i solved it from the S entrance, was that intended?
You might think about making the tunnels at least 2 squares wide, most beginners could handle that.

1N2E - more interesting - you've given the eyes a fighting chance!

If you exit S from 1N2E, you are stuck if you haven't solved the room below. It was really annoying to restore back three rooms.

Level two - what are the math signs for?
2S1W - eyes facing SE corner
3S1W - what is slime?? eyes facing NE corner
2S - inventive use of the word to make a maze
Level three

entered several rooms on the green doors, which made them easier.
1S1E has an east exit that goes nowhere?
1S2E - my favorite room - best puzzle of the hold.

The hold is shaping up well. I did find that all the checkpoints got annoying. One or two in a room is normally all you need.

keep going!

[Edited by cbemom at Local Time:06-11-2005 at 06:03 AM: typo]

06-11-2005 at 06:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I must agree with cbemom that the easier version is much better :)

I think that cbemom said most of the stuff, but I thought I would write a bit more, because I guess you need more help ;)

Put in secret tags to save some space, although the rooms doesn't have secrets at all...

Click here to view the secret text

Overall: A quite simple hold, and a nice diversion from the harder ones.

-- Tim

06-11-2005 at 02:17 PM
SFE

File: Jnis Tomb v20 Easy.hold (20.9 KB)
Downloaded 106 times.
Hey,

Click here to view the secret text

06-15-2005 at 02:26 AM
MeckMeck GRE
How to make thinks harder :

=== The trivial way ===

--> Use a timer element (character guard that will make room impossible after n turns)

--> In rooms where you have thigt places place some wubbas at annoying spots.

--> In rooms with big free spaces and Hack&Slay themed rooms add a roach queen.

=== The kings way ===

--> Think of how you can use the given monsters to make puzzles (think of a force arrow maze with single/multiple roaches, or very complex : with a spawning queen ; or multiple blobs of mud/tar with mothers that you have to remove, probably with help of a mimic before this gets impossible....)

06-24-2005 at 01:36 PM
SFE

File: Jnis Tomb v.2.8 Easy.hold (25.5 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
I have reworked Swordfighting and Exploration Easy Version, and it is now J'nis Tomb Easy Version. I want to know if there is anything I should improve before releasing the hold. If there is anything I need to improve, please let me know. Thank you very much.

SFE

P.S.

J'nis Tomb 2.9.7
11-22-2005 at 05:24 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, er.

it's a very easy hold, true. Which is good.

However, I think you screwed up on level 2, in the room with stairs--it doesn't appear to be completable.
11-22-2005 at 08:37 PM
Banjooie
No, it's not completable: You can't leave the room after.
11-22-2005 at 11:53 PM
Banjooie
You can? I couldn't figure out how.
11-23-2005 at 12:49 AM
SFE

File: Jnis Tomb v295 Easy.hold (36.4 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
Here is an updated version of my hold. I want to know whther the level endings work, and whether the scripting works. In addition any errors I would like to be notified of.

Thanks!

J'nis Tomb 2.9.7
12-01-2005 at 12:39 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold - Swordfighting and Exploration for the beginer v.1.0 (This is my first hold. Please give me suggestions on how to improve it. Iv'e made it fairly easy.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com