Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Frontier
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hatlore
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged

File: The New Frontier.hold (10.8 KB)
Downloaded 145 times.
License: Other
icon New Frontier (+2)  
Well, I figured I'd try my hand at making a hold. It's only one floor, 11 puzzles. Some are decently hard, some are downright easy, all are completable. I tried to make it ascetically pleasing, free of errors, and decently difficult.

The definite focus was to find useful and fun practices of the JtRH monsters. I've definitely got a thing for golems. And henchmen. Funny, I should've used the two together in a puzzle. Take a look, lemme know what you think.

[Edited by Hatlore at Local Time:06-04-2005 at 10:56 PM]
06-04-2005 at 06:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: New Frontier (+1)  
Well, I've played through the level, and liked it. Nothing too hard , but there were some nice rooms (1S looked quite nice, and was probably my favourite).
If I had to say anything I found slightly annoying it would be 1E where there weren't any checkpoints inside the trapdoor area - but its not a big deal, it was quite a nice room anyway.

06-04-2005 at 08:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: New Frontier (+1)  
Well, I just finished playing through this entire hold. Some comments...

First, the text when you select the hold in the Change Location screen says "A huge underground cave system is discovered underground." Needless to say, this is a bit redundant. :)

Room comments:

Click here to view the secret text

Well, I liked what you have so far! Keep it up...it looks like it's on the way to a nice full hold.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-04-2005 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
icon Re: New Frontier (0)  
Agreed. 1E is a total pain in the butt. The first few moves on the trapdoor make or break it. 1S was sort of experimental for me, I'm pretty fond of golems + brain.
06-04-2005 at 09:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hatlore
Specific comments on rooms from builder's view:

1W: I love this style of puzzle. The pathing over trapdoors. Best rom of this style I ever played was in the City of Queens hold.
2W: I tried to think of a way to make the swiss tar blocks doable. Had to rely on the potion. Maybe a smaller block would be doable.
1N 1W/1N 1E: These were kind of uninspired. The open ended levels are, well, hard to do right.
1S 1W: Honestly? I wind up killing a few at the start, running around the room for a while, then the rest. Kind of hard, different.
1S: I definitely think I'll go with more rooms along this line.
2S: Don't know what I was thinking. Took a lot of tries to make this room even slightly hard or fun. Nuts to the honeycombs.
1S 1E: I actually did solve this from the SW exit. It's tricky, you've got to kill the goblins and then to the potion. No doing this without the potion.
1N: Braingolems. I just don't like dumb golem movement. I have some problems placing snakes and rattlesnakes to make them fun.
2E: Henchmen are just fun. The swiss cheese edge was sort of an afterthought.

1E: Well, this one seems to be everyone's difficult one (even mine). I realize a checkpoint would be useful, perhaps more than one. I suppose the luring ability can stay, I always kill them all myself, but I'm crazy like that. Takes me around 20 tries for that level each time I want to do it.

Glad you liked the hold. I'm going to start thinking about floor 2.
06-04-2005 at 09:27 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Nice little hold - it was enjoyable and not too hard. I basically agree with Onieromancer on everything he said - not much to add myself (except that I solved 1S1E from the SW and it was rather fun).

06-04-2005 at 02:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I admit I didn't try to solve 1S1E from the SW very many times...maybe 3 or 4 before I decided I would try it from the N with the convenient invisibility potion. Go for the path of least resistance, I always say! ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-04-2005 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
I went ahead and made another floor. I like this one a whole lot more. Some of the rooms are along similar lines of the first floor. It feels a bit more polished and difficult, at least when I play it. I've made sure every room is beatable, by beating them myself. Reposted in the first post in the topic. For those who'd like to skip the first floor if they've already done it, I included some stairs to floor 2. Enjoy!
06-04-2005 at 10:55 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I had finally time to finish the first level (except for 1S1W, which is too hard right now, may be later.)

Just a small question: Did you changed 1W in the first level? It seemed to be very easy to finish this room by not dropping the red doors at all...

-- Tim

06-05-2005 at 01:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hatlore
Ah, duly noted. Should've made those red doors thicker, clearly. Haven't changed it, you're just the first person to bring it to my attention.
06-05-2005 at 08:03 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Frontier
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com