Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Contest pre-announcement. (Meckmeck on deck.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Contest pre-announcement. (0)  
There is some time before we announce the next contest, which our good friend from Deutschland will be running. I am going to give you guys a slight hint about the contest so that some of the more competitive types will have time to prepare. The hint...

You will have an advantage if you have played more holds.

So bringing up your visited room count in the next week or so would definitely be helpful. Of course, if playing DROD is just a lot of drudgery then this contest may not be for you. Everyone who tries a little in the contest should be able to get some reward for their effort. And I believe the contest itself should be inherently fun. So don't feel demoralized if, like me, you haven't delved very far in the Great Beneath and are at a competitive disadvantage.

-Erik

05-31-2005 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Contest pre-announcement. (0)  
<coughs> and sorts players by number of rooms conquered.

yay?

06-01-2005 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
It's not so cut and dry as "he who has played the most rooms, wins". There's much more to it.

-Erik

06-01-2005 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
well, of course. wouldn't be much of a contest otherwise :) but I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that if "playing more holds is an advantage" then that list sort could roughly equivalate to a handicap :)

anyway, was just being silly. I haven't played any holds unless they make it to caravel net, so I'm missing a lot.

06-01-2005 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
silver wrote:
well, of course. wouldn't be much of a contest otherwise :) but I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that if "playing more holds is an advantage" then that list sort could roughly equivalate to a handicap :)
Very roughly, yeah. I see what you mean.
anyway, was just being silly. I haven't played any holds unless they make it to caravel net, so I'm missing a lot.
I guess I should be a little more clear. Only the holds in the Hold download area will be referenced in the contest. Knowledge of holds on the "Architecture" board or other places won't come into play.

-Erik

06-01-2005 at 02:14 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
ErikH2000 wrote:
So bringing up your visited room count in the next week or so would definitely be helpful.
-Erik

I do not have JTrH full program yet, so I am not online, will I need it for this contest?

06-02-2005 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
techant wrote:
I do not have JTrH full program yet, so I am not online, will I need it for this contest?
You won't need it. I generally plan for all of the contests to not require purchasing the full version.

-Erik

06-02-2005 at 08:13 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Maybe I can actually enter this one for once. I think I've committed to entering about four contests I never had time to do anything for. And now I have an excuse to dust off my smitemaster's sword, too. I think my conquered room count is at about ten right now.

06-03-2005 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I'm solely going to hope that this won't be a contest looking for 'most rooms with ___ Evil Eyes, ____ Goblins, and ___ trapdoors.'

Other than that, this sounds good! :O!
06-03-2005 at 04:44 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
DiMono wrote:
Maybe I can actually enter this one for once. I think I've committed to entering about four contests I never had time to do anything for.
Yeah! You commited to March's contest, and sadly never posted an entry. Just out of curiosity, what were you planning on doing for it, if anything?

06-03-2005 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Contest pre-announcement. (Meckmeck on deck.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com