Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : OSX: Crash on start. (Forwarded from KaS_m.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon OSX: Crash on start. (0)  
KaS_m e-mailed me with:
The application runs for me, but quits almost immediately (I only
just have time to see the title of the window, and no content ever
actually appears). I tried using the Data folder given, and also
with one copied from my Windows install. In both cases the error in
the console was exactly the same:

DROD:Assertion error in line 770 of ../../DROD/Main.cpp: "Unexpected
MID value."
Problem Starting DROD: An unexpected error occurred, and DROD was not
able to retrieve a description of the problem. This problem might be
corrected by reinstalling DROD.
Error=376.

My system specs: Mac OS X 10.4.1, with Quartz 2D Extreme Enabled.
Powerbook 12" G4 1.33 GHz rev C w/SuperDrive and NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go5200.

05-31-2005 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: OSX: Crash on start. (0)  
Same bug?
Pouzler wrote:
Sadly it never went past unpacking:

I downloaded the .dmg alright, which then extracted a mount volume to my desktop quite fairly too, I then proceeded to double-click this volume: "DROD", which captured full-screen-edness for one second, and I was back to the Desktop. Rebooted, but nothing changed (not that rebooting helps much except on Win).

05-31-2005 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
PUG1911
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
ErikH2000 wrote:
Same bug?
Pouzler wrote:
Sadly it never went past unpacking:

I downloaded the .dmg alright, which then extracted a mount volume to my desktop quite fairly too, I then proceeded to double-click this volume: "DROD", which captured full-screen-edness for one second, and I was back to the Desktop. Rebooted, but nothing changed (not that rebooting helps much except on Win).

I get the same behaviour on my G4 OS X 10.3.9. When I run DROD.app it will close immediately. Though, if I run it from Finder, or from Terminal, it does NOT generate any message like the first report.

Things I've tried: Running Drod.app from /applications/
Running Drod.app from /%username%/ (Home directory)
Copying the .DAT and .INI files from withing Drod.app to /%username%/.caravel/Drod-2_0/

I also tried putting the .DAT and .INI files from a DROD:AE Win install into the .caravel/Drod-2_0/ directory, it made no difference.

Any further testing that I could provide, I'd be happy to. But as of yet, I'm unable to get the .app to run.

Also, I know this isn't the place for it, but will this allow me to run classic Drod? Or is this only for JtRH?
06-01-2005 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
PUG1911 wrote:
Also, I know this isn't the place for it, but will this allow me to run classic Drod? Or is this only for JtRH?
Weston is focusing on getting the DROD 2.0 engine (JtRH) ready and there's no plans to work on the previous engine. But it is all open source so anybody can work on making DROD:AE run on Macs if they want.

-Erik

06-02-2005 at 12:03 AM
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
ErikH2000 wrote:
PUG1911 wrote:
Weston is focusing on getting the DROD 2.0 engine (JtRH) ready and there's no plans to work on the previous engine. But it is all open source so anybody can work on making DROD:AE run on Macs if they want.

-Erik

I believe that the following topic has links to my port of AE:

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5367
06-02-2005 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wmarkham
Okay, these all sound like the same problem, and it sounds like DROD can't find its data files. I have a fix in the works that should ensure that the data files will be copied correctly from DROD.app when it is first run, so this may fix the problem. I'll try to roll that out soon.

When ~/.caravel/drod-2_0 is set up properly, you should have something like the following: (drod.pid typically only exists while the application is running, though.)

wes@antimony:~/projects/drod/DROD17$ ls ~/.caravel/drod-2_0
DataPath.txt drod.ini     drod2_0.dat  text.dat
data.dat     drod.pid     player.dat
wes@antimony:~/projects/drod/DROD17$ cat ~/.caravel/drod-2_0/DataPath.txt ; echo
/Users/wes/.caravel/drod-2_0;/Users/wes/projects/drod/testing/bin/DROD.app/Contents/Resources/Data;
wes@antimony:~/projects/drod/DROD17$ 

I believe that the .dat files and the .ini file can come from either DROD.app/Resources/Data or from the 2.0.6 Linux version. Windows ought to work just as well. The second path listed in your DataPath.txt might be something completely different, but the first one should be the directory that contains the .dat files.

Weston
06-02-2005 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
wmarkham wrote:
I believe that the following topic has links to my port of AE:
Ugh. I'm embarrassed about missing that. Sorry, Weston.

-Erik

06-02-2005 at 04:42 AM
wmarkham
icon Re: OSX: Crash on start. (+1)  
From http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6226:
wmarkham wrote:
In order to get the beta up and running, you will need to create a directory ~/.caravel/drod-2_0, containing all of the .dat files, as well as drod.ini, from an existing JtRH installation.

If you do not have a copy of JtRH, do not despair! You can still try out the beta, although you won't have any holds (not even the JtRH demo hold). You can still build and import them, however. In the Finder, control-click on the DROD application, and select "show package contents". Navigate to Contents/Resources/Data, and select the .dat and .ini files. Copy them. Now, go to your home directory, and create .caravel (uh oh, I need help from a Mac person here? How does one create a directory starting with a dot? Can that be done from the Finder GUI?) and within .caravel, create drod-2_0. Within that, paste your .dat and .ini files. Now, you should be able to launch DROD!

As I understand it, you will have to go to a command line to create the directory. So, something like the following needs to be done:
md ~/.caravel
md ~/.caravel/drod-2_0
cp DROD.app/Contents/Resources/Data/*.dat ~/.caravel/drod-2_0
cp DROD.app/Contents/Resources/Data/drod.ini ~/.caravel/drod-2_0

This assumes that these do not already exist, of course. You may want to clean up existing files and try this out. Does this help anyone?

Weston
06-02-2005 at 05:29 AM
pouzzler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
Yes, it helps me seeing I hadn't done this on first try ;)
However, the crashing behaviour is not solved - what will I offer my mac zealot daddy for his birthday if DROD don't work?
06-08-2005 at 11:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wmarkham
Ouch. When is the birthday?

Also, do you get the "Unexpected MID" and "Error=376" messages? (I believe that they would appear both in the Terminal window, as well as ~/.caravel/drod-2_0/drod.err

Weston
06-10-2005 at 07:40 AM
wmarkham
Actually, the "beta 2" version should not need the files to be copied manually. If you delete ~/.caravel/drod-2_0, then launch the application, it should be created, with DataPath.txt, drod.ini, drod2_0.dat, player.dat, and text.dat.
06-10-2005 at 02:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : OSX: Crash on start. (Forwarded from KaS_m.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com