Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Collapsable Forums (A way to do it faster)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Collapsable Forums (+1)  
Rather than loading a new page, there's an easier way to collapse/expand the forum listings without making a call to the server and using up bandwidth and MySQL requests:

1) Make sure each forum section has an inline id, say DROD and Other.

2) Change the anchor target from the URL to "javascript:switchVisibility('DROD');" (or ('Other'))

3) Make sure the + and - images are in spans that also have IDs, say img_DROD and img_Other

4) Write the following javascript:

boxes = new Array();
function switchVisibility(id) {
	panel = getElement(id);
	if (!boxes[id]) {
		boxes[id] = panel.innerHTML;
		panel.innerHTML = '';
		document['img_' + id].src = '/forum/images/caravelnet/expandPlus.gif';
	}
	else {
		panel.innerHTML = boxes[id];
		boxes[id] = false;
		document['img_' + id].src = '/forum/images/caravelnet/expandMinus.gif';
	}	
}
function getElement(name) {
	return document.getElementById?document.getElementById(name):document.all[name];
}

Voila, the forums collapse and expand without having to call the server again

05-30-2005 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Collapsable Forums (0)  
I imagine he plaguishly avoids javascript so it doesn't become a "test on every different browser ever made" issue.

05-30-2005 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Actually, it's pretty much the same thing he's been doing for secret messages, only I used functions so I could compensate for older browsers that don't understand getElementById()... and I used removing the contents and storing them rather than switching visibility, which I wanted to do but couldn't remember the function name. There's already javascript on the site, it's just not being used for the forum listing.

05-30-2005 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
My bad. I agree that collapsing them the same way as secrets should be "good enough", as long as they default to uncollapsed for people who can't use the secrets, either :)

05-30-2005 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5416
I chose to do it this way so that it would remember how you have it set. I obviously know how to do it in Javascript if I so desired.

05-30-2005 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
What about Ajax? You could have the javascript function send a request to the server to update the database in the same way refreshing the page works.

A free Ajax implementation

05-30-2005 at 09:26 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5416
icon Re: Collapsable Forums (+1)  
DiMono wrote:
What about Ajax? You could have the javascript function send a request to the server to update the database in the same way refreshing the page works.
I really don't see it worth my time. I'd rather get hold updating to work, or work on any of a dozen other projects I've got in mind.

05-30-2005 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Collapsable Forums (A way to do it faster)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com