Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Forcing Arrows
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Forcing Arrows (0)  
I got this idea a while back from one of leventdal's ideas (the rotating platform one.) I suggested instead of the rotating platforms, more of a conveyor belt. Well, this is a bit like that.

A Forcing Arrow will actually move Beethro in the direction that it points, as compared to the Force Arrow, just letting him not move in three directions. The effect would be immediate, so Beethro would end up at the end of the Forcing Arrow line.

Monsters (not snakes) would also be able to use these, which could provide some interesting goblin puzzles, as well as "deter me!" problems.

Problems I foresee: What if, god forbid, a Forcing Arrow line ends in a pit?! Law should be made: All Forcing Arrows must point to either another Forcing Arrow, or a normal floor. (no trapdoor) Also, what if there is a loop of Forcing Arrows? To this, I would hope that designers would avoid them. I don't know how to circumvent this.

The color would definitely be different from a Force Arrow, possibly black or red?

06-28-2003 at 04:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Forcing Arrows (0)  
I'm not sure I like this idea as presented - as you said, there's a problem with loops. And what if the last arrow leads to the midsection of a serpent? Or to tar?

That said, perhaps the following modifications could make this safe:

A - if the path is blocked (pit, serpent, tar, whatever), you stop on the arrow; in which case you can get off next turn as if it was a normal force arrow.
B - forcing arrows can only take you on a straight (or diagonal) line. Forcing arrows facing different directions also stop you (you can step on them next turn, of course).

How about it?

06-28-2003 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Hmm...I like A. I'm not too hot on B, but I think it's the best way to maneuver around the second problem.

And I just thought of a C question. What if there is a line of monsters (say eyes) that would be killed by the sword if the F.As were there? That may take much not fun coding, not that I would know.

06-28-2003 at 04:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
leventdal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
I like this kind of things. Also in Water and Swamps topic I suggested something similar.

Also there may be streams forcing Beethro move in that direction. Hazardous water falls and whirlpools can create different form of dangers.

The end is a problem but not a hard design issue, I think.

If well adjusted there may be rooms composing of just forcing arrows and monsters. So if you miss a monster there is no turning back. :)

I also think of vehicle ideas and this is nearly same. "Slippery" or something like that can be its name.
06-28-2003 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Forcing Arrows
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com