Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Plague (1 level, first atempt)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Crazy Ivan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
IP: Logged

File: The Plague.hold (11.8 KB)
Downloaded 146 times.
License: Other
icon The Plague (+2)  
I tried to find new ways to combine JTRH elements and make the hold pleasing to the eye.

Please let me know of any shortcomings and what you generally think of it. It will be greatly appreciated.

kind regards

Michael

[Edited by Crazy Ivan at Local Time:06-04-2005 at 04:59 PM]
05-29-2005 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: The Plague (0)  
Not much to tell here as I can't even beat the entrance. I get a roach below the first force arrow every time, and so can't get the goblin to move any further. Of course, that could just be because I'm useless at the game. :yes
05-29-2005 at 09:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Crazy Ivan
bandit1200 wrote:
Not much to tell here as I can't even beat the entrance. I get a roach below the first force arrow every time, and so can't get the goblin to move any further. Of course, that could just be because I'm useless at the game. :yes

You have to get the goblin on or below the force arrow before the first spawning. Thats not that difficult at all. Please try again.

kind regards

Michael
05-29-2005 at 11:47 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
On 2N, I can't get the guard to go over any of the force arrows. Is there a trick that I'm just not seeing, or did something change in a recent patch, perhaps?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-29-2005 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
Ahhh!!! The first room is so timeconsuming and repetetive that I out of pure frustration happend to press the wrong button twise and step on a fuse without being able to cancel the move. I find it SO repetetive to get the goblin to the snake! Itīs not really difficult, but my finger is aching and I kind of gave up after my fingers slipped. Sory... :( Could you please make the room without so many roachqueens?
05-29-2005 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crazy Ivan
Oneiromancer wrote:
On 2N, I can't get the guard to go over any of the force arrows. Is there a trick that I'm just not seeing, or did something change in a recent patch, perhaps?

Game on,

For example an upwards pointing force arrow:
If you cross swords just below the force arrow, the guard should
jump in the upper box.
If he doesn't then indeed the guards behaviour has changed with the most recent patch. I'll try next weekend (don't have acces to my drod installation during the week)

Thank you for trying out my level

kind regards,

Michael

05-30-2005 at 05:05 PM
Crazy Ivan
Blondbeard wrote:
Ahhh!!! The first room is so timeconsuming and repetetive that I out of pure frustration happend to press the wrong button twise and step on a fuse without being able to cancel the move. I find it SO repetetive to get the goblin to the snake! Itīs not really difficult, but my finger is aching and I kind of gave up after my fingers slipped. Sory... :( Could you please make the room without so many roachqueens?

Thank you for trying out my level !

I consider that particular room as an initial test of perseverance :)

I won't reduce the number of roachqueens, but since you are the second for wich this room is a showstopper, I might consider placing the room somewhere else and use an easier entrance room.

kind regards,

Michael
05-30-2005 at 05:18 PM
vAmpir
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
Is the 3N solvable?

[Edited by vAmpir at Local Time:06-01-2005 at 07:51 AM]
06-01-2005 at 07:50 AM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Crazy Ivan wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:

You have to get the goblin on or below the force arrow before the first spawning. Thats not that difficult at all. Please try again.

kind regards

Michael

I just got around to having another go, and you are right, it's not difficult. Unfortunately, I gave up out of boredom after hitting the wrong key twice, twice, if you see what I mean, before reaching the first checkpoint. As you haven't made it anyone edit, generally regarded to be a good idea for new holds in the architecture forum, I don't get to try the other rooms.
If you *do* move that room somewhere else, then I'll most likely take another look.
06-01-2005 at 08:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Crazy Ivan
vAmpir wrote:
Is the 3N solvable?

That would be the secret room with the Halph puzzle ? (can't check from here). It should be. But at the other hand, there is NO margin for error there. How far do you get before Halph is blown up ?

kind regards,

Michael
06-01-2005 at 01:51 PM
vAmpir
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
Crazy Ivan wrote:
vAmpir wrote:
Is the 3N solvable?

That would be the secret room with the Halph puzzle ? (can't check from here). It should be. But at the other hand, there is NO margin for error there. How far do you get before Halph is blown up ?

kind regards,

Michael

OK, this is the last room for me and I realy want to solve it before giving my comments on the hold.

Click here to view the secret text

06-01-2005 at 03:13 PM
Crazy Ivan
vAmpir wrote:

OK, this is the last room for me and I realy want to solve it before giving my comments on the hold.

vAmpir, what you tried is the intended solution, so if it doesn't work I made a mistake. I'll look in to this this weekend.

kind regards,

Michael
06-02-2005 at 12:42 PM
Hatlore
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: The Plague (+1)  
The very first room is doable, but is far too long, picky, and tedious. I would just take it out of the hold.
06-03-2005 at 08:10 PM
Crazy Ivan
icon The Plague Update (0)  
Update:

- I removed that horrible entrance room and replaced it by something less sadistic
- the secret halph/bomb puzzle is now solvable
- removed bottom blue door because as it was it was not possible to exit the level.

You can download the hold at my first post of this thread.
You'll notice that I allready started a second level that contains two rooms so far (no exit stairs yet however)

Thanks for the comments so far.

Michael
06-04-2005 at 05:08 PM
Blondbeard
icon Re: The Plague (+2)  
So... now I have played through most of the hold, and I also have to beg for mercy and for help. :) How the hell do the guard work? How do you lure him to the serpents in 2N? I wouldnīt have a chance to complete the room even if there was only one serpent...

Also I have some criticism (hopefully constructive). Iīm sorry, but I do think that you tend to overdo it. Like the spider/decoy room. It wasnīt fun at all. Not because the idea is bad, but because 30 doecoyplacements and the mapping of 30 spiders is just too much! Make it five spiders instead. Teh player would still have to seak them out, and the room would be fun.

1W is pretty enjoyable, but man... thatīs a lot of tar and mud to eliminate.

The entrance is nice, but... but thatīs a lot of guards to kill. Exchange some of them for roaches (or whatever). It would still look nice on the screen

I liked 1E, but wouldnīt it be exactly the same kind of puzzle if you removed some golems and lots of goblins?

1N1E is another example. Great idea, but do you really have to force me to

2N1E was nice. Nothing to complain about there :)

2N1W: sure, I can do it, but why so many trapdoors. Itīs not hard, but it takes time! Also... why do you have so many mimic potions :) Out of four I needed two.

One of the nicest puzzles was 1N and I enjoyed the secret rooms, although I have to ask

Oh, and I also must compliment you. Most of the rooms look very nice. They are beutifull.
06-05-2005 at 11:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crazy Ivan
For the 2N room, this is allready discussed it this thread. You have to cross swords before a box entrance.

As for 2N1W, I intended for the trapdoors to take time, given there is a tar mother that you won't be able to kill if the corridor is full. Otherwise you can kill the serpent by just waiting for the snake to brush against your mimics sword. The other two potions are indeed only there for decorative reasons.

Congrats for spotting the unintended solution to the secret room

Your criticism was very constructive and is very appreciated.
I agree completely that I tend to overdo it. In my defense I would like to point out I think that these type of room would be great for least moves or least time competitions.

kind regards,

Michael

06-05-2005 at 12:23 PM
Blondbeard
Yes, Well I actually do have an idea for 2N1W you might just make the mother bigger to begin with. Thus you could remove some of the trapdoors. Also I found that I anyway had about 450 moves to spare so I didnīt really had to hurry :) And by the way... please add a green door.

Guess Iīll have to try the guardroom again later on today :) (But is it really nececery to have that many serpents?)
06-05-2005 at 01:40 PM
Blondbeard
Ohh, man! Finaly complete with all the rooms in your hold! Have you ever considered the posabillity that you might be evil? :D The first room of the second level took time, and I mean lots of time. Other than that it was a good room, but... but... I mean itīs almost as naughty as one of the extremly timeconsuming secret rooms of JTRH (the naughtiest room in the game). And the crumbly wall in the second room I just stumbled on by chance. Itīs really, really hard to see (even when you know where it is). Nice idea though. Could you please make the first room of the second level a bit less timeconsuming? (you donīt have to, itīs quite a thrill to finally make it). And I defenitly think you should remove some snakes in the guard/snake room. About 75% of them or so. Thanks for teatching me something I didenīt know about guards though :thumbsup.
06-05-2005 at 07:49 PM
Crazy Ivan
About your suggestion I might be evil. Of course I am, WOOHAHAHAHA :devil

Seriously, In other holds I actually like rooms that are difficult and take some time. Do you rembember the KDD tar level with the three tarmothers ? I loved that room although most people hated it.

About the entrance room of the second level of Plague, the intended
solution was that you create some golembarriers before opening the doors. I believe you just went for the queens instead and then killed the golems ? I'll make that impossible in the next release by having doors close in front of the tunnels.

kind regards,

Michael

06-07-2005 at 10:09 AM
Blondbeard
I did create golem barriers, and it took time anyway. Maybe my solution wasnīt very optimal, but... well, no matter the room is tricky, and thatīs good (although I tend to think that difficult rooms which donīt contain so much mindless hack and slash is better) :)
06-07-2005 at 01:01 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Plague (1 level, first atempt)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com