Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum feature requests (Let me have 'em)
<<2345
Page 6 of 12
78910>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon Re: Forum feature requests (0)  
When you edit a post multiple times, which happens every so often, there is a big pile of [Edited by...]s that appear, which looks very bad. Could we either take it off entirely, show only the latest one, have an option to turn them off, or something like that?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-18-2004 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
When you edit a post multiple times, which happens every so often, there is a big pile of [Edited by...]s that appear, which looks very bad. Could we either take it off entirely, show only the latest one, have an option to turn them off, or something like that?
They show up when you do the edit - just delete them if you don't want them there. You can't delete the last one, and I don't think you should be able to.

02-18-2004 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
sims5000
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 117
can we have more smileys?
I've got a few ideas.....
02-18-2004 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Well, I would recommend putting it in the description space, but yes, it would appear that way. Thank you, Captain Obvious :smartass:

02-18-2004 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Could the difference when viewing a thread between your current page and the pages around it please be made more obvious? The colours are very similar, and if you're not specifically looking to see if there's another page on a several page thread then it's easy not to notice. I actually might recommend making the links to previous pages one colour, like green, and the links to following pages another colour, like red.

02-18-2004 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Whoah! That was awfully quick! Did you actually have to program that in? Because if so, it was amazingly fast. Thanks!

02-18-2004 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Sokko wrote:
Whoah! That was awfully quick! Did you actually have to program that in? Because if so, it was amazingly fast. Thanks!
Yeah, that's brand new code. About 10 lines of brand new code. It really wasn't hard. But you're welcome. :)

02-18-2004 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Schik wrote:
They show up when you do the edit - just delete them if you don't want them there. You can't delete the last one, and I don't think you should be able to.

Yes, but you can't delete ones made by other people.

02-18-2004 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I'd like the Search page to be a bit more robust. For example, I'd like to be able to search the Hints and Solutions board for all posts that I made with a certain word in the title or message body. Right now I have to search by my name and and browse through all the posts, which is pretty annoying. Especially because it's automatically ordered by date, and I can't make it order by the topic, for example.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-18-2004 at 11:54 PM
DiMono
It's amazing the attention you get for putting the right word in italics :) Thanks for the speedy addition, I've been caught on not noticing there's another page at least three times in the puzzle thread alone.

02-19-2004 at 02:36 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Can we have an option to PM attachments?

02-21-2004 at 02:13 PM
Schik
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
For various reasons I'd rather just have people PM email addresses to each other if they want to exchange files.

02-22-2004 at 02:03 AM
DiMono
Schik wrote:
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
For various reasons I'd rather just have people PM email addresses to each other if they want to exchange files.
For some reason I was thinking about this forum feature request on the way home from running karaoke, and it occured to me this would probably require an entirely new table in the database. Useful feature, but I'm not holding my breath... especially since you just said no :)

02-22-2004 at 08:57 AM
The_Red_Hawk
What about all those people who don't have email addresses?

...there are actually a large number of them as far as I know.....

02-22-2004 at 03:26 PM
Schik
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
What about all those people who don't have email addresses?

...there are actually a large number of them as far as I know.....
I'd guess of all the people in the world who don't have email addresses, about.... zero of them visit DROD.net. If you're connecting to the internet from home to visit DROD.net, you've very likely got an email address. If you're connecting from work, you've likely got an email address. If not, there are a million places out there that give out free email addresses, and/or even free web space where you could host any file that you were planning on PMing to someone.

02-22-2004 at 03:48 PM
Schik
DiMono wrote:
For some reason I was thinking about this forum feature request on the way home from running karaoke, and it occured to me this would probably require an entirely new table in the database. Useful feature, but I'm not holding my breath... especially since you just said no :)
A new table's not tough. I've added 10 of them in my reign here, believe it or not. And I probably would just reuse the existing attachments table, just adding a new field for PM id.

I don't want to deal with potential space issues, and I really just don't want to spend the time on something that I think has little value compared to the other modifications I'm working on.

02-22-2004 at 03:53 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Could there be a link to the DROD store somewhere on the forum? Or should we go to the site for that?

02-23-2004 at 08:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
What's wrong with the site? ;)

02-23-2004 at 03:20 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
zex20913 wrote:
Could there be a link to the DROD store somewhere on the forum? Or should we go to the site for that?
I'm a little sensitive to putting anything on DROD.net that looks like an advertisement. So we've got the link safely buried three links down from the home page of the site. Not very good for DROD Store sales, but I'm really not expecting much from the store anyhow, so it is worth more to me that DROD.net have a non-commercial feel to it.

In the future, www.caravelgames.com will be set up and have the clear agenda of getting people to give us money. I want to leave DROD.net pure and unmolested. No crappy banners. No link exchange clutter. No "Buy it now!" obnoxium. Oh, and I know you weren't saying we should do all that stuff--providing a link to the DROD store on the forum, in my opinion, would be a small step in this direction I don't want to take.

-Erik

02-23-2004 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Yes...one of the best parts about DROD.net is that there aren't any ads.

02-24-2004 at 06:54 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Weird forum thingy:
You cannot directly go to the first page of a red topic. The "1" in "1,2,3,last page>>" is'nt clickable, and if you click on the topic name, you're redirected to the last page.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-24-2004 at 09:47 PM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Can we have all open tags be automatically closed when posting? If you leave a tag open, in some cases it can mess up the entire remainder of the page. For a good example, see the "Online puzzle game" thread in the Anything board to see what happens when Eytanz forgets to close his Secret tag; not too serious, but man, does it ever look ugly.

02-24-2004 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
Another weird forum thingy.
If you make ample use of the red vs. yellow folders this throws you off. If you post a new reply to a thread, it then shows you your reply in the thread, and then you go out to the general area again (and not via the back button) that topic is read, but certainly you've read it if you posted it.

Edit: or not... what's the deal? I was pretty sure it was doing it earlier.

[Edited by Koro on 02-25-2004 at 01:35 AM GMT]

02-25-2004 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Koro wrote:
If you make ample use of the red vs. yellow folders this throws you off. If you post a new reply to a thread, it then shows you your reply in the thread, and then you go out to the general area again (and not via the back button) that topic is read, but certainly you've read it if you posted it.

Edit: or not... what's the deal? I was pretty sure it was doing it earlier.
It shouldn't do that. When you're redirected to the post you just made, it loads it exactly like it does every other time, so it should mark it as read in the exact same way too.

02-25-2004 at 01:36 AM
DiMono
I've noticed this bug as well. It seems to happen mostly when I send my browser back to the forum page without letting the thread load, as if it's a javascript application that sends confirmation of the thread having loaded.

02-25-2004 at 04:55 AM
Schik
Well, it's PHP, but that's the basic idea. It loads the thread and then marks it as read. So if you don't let it load, it doesn't mark it as read. I'd hardly call that a bug.

02-25-2004 at 04:57 AM
DiMono
Well, can an exception be coded in that automatically marks all your own posts as read? I'm on dial-up, and don't like waiting for particularly long threads to load when I already know what I wrote.

02-25-2004 at 05:02 AM
DiMono
Might I suggest swapping the DROD.net Forum header and the DROD.net header? Switching them would make it look like the roaches are looking in on the forum, and moving the link bar back to the right will unclutter the left.

02-26-2004 at 09:07 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Something weird's happened, because now there are 1 1/2 header bars on the forum.

02-26-2004 at 11:02 PM
DiMono
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Something weird's happened, because now there are 1 1/2 header bars on the forum.
If you look, they're both complete header bars, one of them is a link back to drod.net itself. Then read the post I made immediately before yours.

02-26-2004 at 11:03 PM
<<2345
Page 6 of 12
78910>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum feature requests (Let me have 'em)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com