Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : A non-entry in the contest
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged

File: watching.zip (21.9 KB)
Downloaded 72 times.
License: Other
icon A non-entry in the contest (+4)  
Now that no one can submit new stories, I can finally post this :)

I originally wrote this entry for the contest, but it was rejected because it insufficiently featured Beethro (I was trying too hard to stretch the meaning of "about" - I asserted the story was about Beethro even though it didn't include Beethro, but Matt felt differently and I eventually agreed it should be rejected on different grounds: it doesn't matter whether it's Beethro's first job or his 50th to my story, as long as it's some job before KDD. Anyway, I was trying to do a cheap trick and some cheapness should be punished :)).

I have modified it based on some comments Erik made, to make it not contradict some world physics in one area (which is fine, that part of the story made me uncomfortable, anyway).

it possibly contains JtRH spoilers. depends on how much you inferred from the demo. But I assume anyone who is reading it has at least completed the demo, and then the rest isn't hugely spoilerific (just mildly so, but not in a way that would damage your enjoyment of JtRH, I don't think).

I have a couple mod points, and I'll give 'em to the first person who make a room with the queens that works like I described in the story (i.e. insoluable unless you take the other exit and then the other exit involves details mentioned in the story). I don't think it's actually possible, but I could be wrong :).

it's a zip file because I wrapped it with linefeeds and then converted said wrap to unix and mac linefeeds (this was to keep a couple lines centered the way I wanted them centered), and thus should be viewed in a window 80 columns (or more) wide.
(I assume there's an unzip for mac by now somewhere).

Anyway, it's now just a "for your amusement" seletion. So I hope you are amused.

05-20-2005 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
icon Re: A non-entry in the contest (0)  
sigh...I forgot that the deadline was the 20th...mind if I post my story in this thread too?
05-21-2005 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: A non-entry in the contest (+1)  
Go for it

edit: but keep in mind if it lacks character development or contains numerous canon violations, I'll probably be mean :).
(and it is canon that Beethro has a master intellect and can read and write (by the time of KDD his maps impress even a DAA member))

well, not too mean, but the highest I rated any of the present contest entries was a 6.

I also don't believe in "the monsters don't move unless you move"... I think the turn-based nature of the game is meta to the environment, and "from within the game" each turn is actual time passing, but between turns no time passes. How do I know this? because there's a "wait" button (i.e. pass time without moving. but the monsters move anyway! so much for them not moving if you don't.)

I'm a harsher critic than most, though.

[Edited by silver at Local Time:05-21-2005 at 11:20 PM]

05-21-2005 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I didn't have time to complete my story, but I'm still debating with myself whether to post it now half-done or not.

05-21-2005 at 09:38 PM
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
I had my last final on the 19th and thought that I would celebrate by writing a story for the contest.

However, when I finished writing, I was startled to notice that my internet connection wasn't working. So I went out, watched Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, and came back into my room, fingers crossed, hoping everything had worked out.

They hadn't. Technology is annoying in that it is deterministic. If it worked by fate and only by fate, I'd be a much bigger fan.

I don't know if I'll post my would-be entry or not. I'll wait a week or two and see if I still like what I wrote. Chances are I won't, in that the only stories from underground I've enjoyed were by Doestoevsky (and weren't about dungeons).
05-23-2005 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
goldenlion
Rank Points: 199
Pretty cool story, Silver. Especially liked the Runner.... well characterized.

05-23-2005 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Rank Points: 220
For the record, I hated having to reject this story. It was one of my favorites.

I encourage anyone who has a story to post it here. Why let the official entries have all the publicity? Let the world see how great of a writer you are. It doesn't even have to follow all the contest rules -- go crazy and post a story about Beethro's second job!

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
05-23-2005 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DeamonMonkey
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
Very Cool. I better go buy Journey to Rooted Hold now!
05-23-2005 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : A non-entry in the contest
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No