Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Mystery Maze (My first hold! yay?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
dreamisle
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
IP: Logged

File: MystMaze001.hold (6.1 KB)
Downloaded 140 times.
License: Other
icon Mystery Maze (+1)  
This is Mystery Maze, my first hold. It's a 2 day (well, maybe only 5 hours) bit of work, and it includes the Fork in the Road to choose your path, and two routes. One is finished, but the other one is a one room demo because I'm not sure people will like it very much. Perhaps I'll keep it one room? Please give me some feedback and some constructive criticism. (I'll try not to whine or defend myself too badly. ;) )

05-17-2005 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
icon Re: Mystery Maze (0)  
well, you have a decent start, here.

the roach motal plays well, but there is a blank scroll in 1N.

the riddle side - argh! DON'T make me do math when I am looking for puzzles. I managed to get through the first room by banging on orbs until one worked - very unsatisfiying.

Most of your players will like logic puzzles, but it's been a long time since high school algebra for some of us and is frustrating, not fun.

05-18-2005 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
the roach motal plays well, but there is a blank scroll in 1N.
I'm guessing it should say something like 'Security keycard only!' ;)

Having math puzzles is interesting, although it doesn't work extremely well with JtRH currently because of the orb-door associations being visible when you click an orb. You probably don't have JtRH, which is probably the reason (there are other ways of coming up with something like this, where you have to hit a certain orb etc).

Being a mathematician, I have to point out a couple of things in the actual puzzles -
Click here to view the secret text

Click here to view the secret text

Interesting idea anyway, will be interesting to see how it progresses.
05-18-2005 at 07:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
dreamisle
You're both right about the math puzzles, and I suppose I should have taken out the section entirely. Last night I downloaded JtRH and now I'll base my puzzles on that.

As for the scroll, it did say that, but when I copied it to move it as I would a section of room, the writing didn't copy with it.

05-18-2005 at 05:07 PM
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Mystery Maze (+1)  
I was going to say almost exactly what TrippleM said. About the orbthing, and about the mathematical stuff. However I might add that the mathpart has a serious problem. Either you know how to solve these kinds of equations, in witch case it is very easy, or you donīt, in witch case I suppose itīs realy challanging (witch might be fun). May I sugest riddles of mathematical character instead of equations? (take a look in 'the palace of puzzles' for inspiration). The roach motel is also very easy. Not boring, just easy and kind of neat. But in the next level I think you should force the player to think a little.

Oh, and lastly a cool thing. The text witch appears when youīve completed the hold is almost exactly the same text that popped up in the first virsion of my hold (when it just contained one small, relativly easy level built by my littlebrother.) Almost every word was the same. Even the name (David) :) It was really cool to see that text popping up.

05-23-2005 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
dreamisle
The name might be a coincidence, but I think the end hold text defaults to that message ;)
I might expand upon the roach motel idea but I'm just now learning some of the scripting elements of JtRH.

05-28-2005 at 04:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Mystery Maze (My first hold! yay?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com