Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Mastering the forum
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
IP: Logged
icon Mastering the forum (0)  
Hi!

There is still some stuff I don't know about the forum, so this topic can talk about how to do more advanced things in posts and the forum (e.g-changing your forum level).

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 06-26-2003 at 04:15 AM GMT: I wanted to put in an example.]

[Edited by NoahT on 07-10-2003 at 03:15 AM GMT: Signature]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

06-26-2003 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Mastering the forum (0)  
Well, for one try to keep posts in the right forums. For instance, this thread really belongs in the "the site" forum.

06-26-2003 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
NoahT wrote:There is still some stuff I don't know about the forum, so this topic can talk about how to do more advanced things in posts and the forum (e.g-changing your forum level).
Well, you can change your forum level by making posts. You start out as a roachling. After you make 15 posts, (don't cheat--only good posts, please) you become a goblin. And after 30 posts, you become a delver. Legendary smitemaster status isn't earned, it is bestowed and only to people that need it. All in all, there isn't much room for social climbing.

What else do you want to know?

Oh... here's something else: All of the UBBC codes are listed under the "help" link in the top left corner. UBBC codes are the commands that go in square brackets and do things like make your text bold. Whenever we add one, it is automatically added to help, so you never have to worry about the help listing being out of date. The help text doesn't explain much unless you are familiar with HTML, but it's worth experimenting with the UBBC codes in your message. Just use preview to see if you get the intended effect before posting.

-Erik

06-26-2003 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Re: Mastering the forum (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Well, you can change your forum level by making posts. You start out as a roachling. After you make 15 posts, (don't cheat--only good posts, please) you become a goblin. And after 30 posts, you become a delver.

I wanna be a serpent :devil
06-26-2003 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Sorry, but I don't think a Serpent level was put into the forum.

Anyway, something else I'd like to know about is quote replies, as in how they're made.

Also, sorry about putting this topic in the "General" board.

Thanks!

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 07-10-2003 at 03:12 AM GMT: Signature]

[Edited by NoahT on 07-23-2003 at 10:40 PM GMT: "Hi" message]

My stuff:

06-26-2003 at 05:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
You can quote replies by clicking on the link on the bottom right corner of a message. If you want to split the quote into smaller parts, just add quote tags (<quote> and </quote> with square brackets).

06-26-2003 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
eytanz wrote:
You can quote replies by clicking on the link on the bottom right corner of a message. If you want to split the quote into smaller parts, just add quote tags (<quote> and </quote> with square brackets).

Do you mean if you want to quote only part of someone else's post in yours, do you delete all the text you don't want in the quotes, and put quote tags around each part you want to be a quote?

Thanks!

-Noah

P.S. I've been writing my saying underneath underlines I typed. Someone could say if this is right.

[Edited by NoahT on 07-10-2003 at 03:09 AM GMT: Signature]

My stuff:

06-27-2003 at 06:21 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Re: Re: Mastering the forum (0)  
NoahT wrote:
Do you mean if you want to quote only part of someone else's post in yours, do you delete all the text you don't want in the quotes, and put quote tags around each part you want to be a quote?
Yep.
P.S. I've been writing my saying underneath underlines I typed. Someone could say if this is right.
Eep. Click "Profile" (upper right corner), click "Modify" (the nearly invisible link just to the right of "View Profile for NoahT" ), and add your saying into the Signature field, then click Submit.

06-27-2003 at 06:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NoahT
Another quick question: how do you get an avatar on the forum?

Thanks!

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 07-23-2003 at 10:37 PM GMT: "Hello" message]

My stuff:

07-09-2003 at 01:23 AM
NoahT
Never mind.

I looked at the "I don't get it" topic started by Roth.

-Noah

My stuff:

07-09-2003 at 01:39 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
NoahT wrote:
Another quick question: how do you get an avatar on the forum?
You hunt down that invisible link, click it, and put the url of an image on the web in the Avatar textbox. It seems the image has to be 60x60 pixels, tho. Mine came out all sqiggly (it's 50x50). Oh well.

Btw, Schik, to make that link more visible, open up the tforum.css file in the forum root, and add this:

a.white {
color: #ffffff;
}

Then find the source of that link, and add class="white" to its a tag. You could do the same with secret tables, by the way, by setting class="white" in the secret's td tag. IIRC the class should be inherited by the a tag, but if it doesn't, do this:

td.white a {
color: #ffffff;
}

:)

- Gerry

07-09-2003 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Heyyeyyeyyy... Beautiful! Thanks, I've been much too lazy to learn CSS.

You can be my offical DROD.net forum CSS consultant.
:D

07-09-2003 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Schik wrote:
You can be my offical DROD.net forum CSS consultant.
:D
Sure, don't hesitate to ask :D

07-09-2003 at 02:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
ErikH2000 wrote:
Well, you can change your forum level by making posts. You start out as a roachling. After you make 15 posts, (don't cheat--only good posts, please) you become a goblin. And after 30 posts, you become a delver. Legendary smitemaster status isn't earned, it is bestowed and only to people that need it. All in all, there isn't much room for social climbing.

Quick reminder, Erik: This paragraph will need to be updated for the new user statuses.

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 07-21-2003 at 07:30 AM GMT: Removed false guess]

My stuff:

07-21-2003 at 07:05 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Hey, I can do that...

Roachling - 0 posts
Goblin - 15 posts
Delver - 30 posts
Master Delver - 100 posts
Smiter - 300 posts
Smitemaster - 500 posts
Legendary Smitemaster - forum administrators

"Oook!"
07-21-2003 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
trick wrote:
It seems the image has to be 60x60 pixels, tho. Mine came out all sqiggly (it's 50x50). Oh well.

Mine is also unfocused, as it's even smaller than yours (46x46). But I don't really mind.

-Noah

My stuff:

07-22-2003 at 09:32 PM
NoahT
Three more things:

1. What's a poll, and how do they differ from regular posts?
2. What do forum moderators do?
3. What does "admin" mean?

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 07-23-2003 at 10:42 PM GMT: 3rd thing]

My stuff:

07-23-2003 at 10:35 PM
krammer
1. A poll is just that. You give a question and five possible answers, and people can vote on whichever they like best. Example:

"Would you like to see DROD as a TV series?"
Definitely, Depends what it was like, No way, or Don't care?

Stupid question, but you get the drift. The forum then posts the number of people who voted for each option so far.

2. We don't have mods, but they're kinda like admins only less important. An admin focuses on making sure the board runs and deciding rules, structure, etc. Ours are Erik, Schik, Mafinot and Clayton (although he should probably be demoted as he is no longer webmaster). Moderators do the mundane things like moving posts if they're in the wrong forum, locking or deleting inappropriate threads, warning users for bad behaviour etc. Admins can do that too, of course, but on busy boards they often don't have the time. As DROD isn't that traffic-heavy our admins do it all for us.

"Oook!"
07-23-2003 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Often on semi-busy boards the admins are employees of the company while the moderators are fans with lots of posts who are probably on the board more than the company is and so are more easily able to do the various menial tasks that are required from time to time. On the busiest boards (like those run by, say, Blizzard) the company will hire a full time forum moderator/administrator to make sure the forum users are happy. Basically a new kind of Public Relations job.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-23-2003 at 10:56 PM
NoahT
Just bringing this thread to the top.

-Noah

P.S. Erik, Schik, Malarame, or Clayton, maybe one of you could stick this thread if you think it's a good idea.

My stuff:

07-30-2003 at 09:46 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
NoahT wrote:

This is known as "bumping" a post. On some boards all a person will do is say "Bump..." and everyone knows what they mean. Now you do too. :D

Of course, sometimes this is considered rude, depending on how important other people think the topic is, so you do it at your own risk. It is not that egregious a faux pas, though.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-30-2003 at 10:24 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Re: Mastering the forum (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
NoahT wrote:

This is known as "bumping" a post. On some boards all a person will do is say "Bump..." and everyone knows what they mean. Now you do too. :D

Of course, sometimes this is considered rude, depending on how important other people think the topic is, so you do it at your own risk. It is not that egregious a faux pas, though.

Game on,
It depends on what the topic is about and why it is being bumped. This particular topic is probably of use to newcomers as are many of the other posts, so it's probably fine to do it to this one once in a while.

07-30-2003 at 10:33 PM
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Mastering the forum (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
It depends on what the topic is about and why it is being bumped. This particular topic is probably of use to newcomers as are many of the other posts, so it's probably fine to do it to this one once in a while.
I'm of the opinion that anything of use in this thread should be put into the forum FAQ that I never made, so we don't need tons of sticky threads to answer FAQs.

07-30-2003 at 10:36 PM
NoahT
I'll use this thread to show secret text to newbies.

-Noah

My stuff:

08-07-2003 at 06:06 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388

File: DRODFAQ.txt (11.5 KB)
Downloaded 151 times.
License: Other
If you put [leftbracket] and [rightbracket] in your posts, you can make [ and ] appear.

Incidently, I've done an FAQ. It's rough, and needs more. Wanna see?

It also has spoilers that I haven't covered up yet. Don't scroll past the white.

You know, I'd better put some things here. Chapter headings are marked with <h2> tags. Questions are marked with <b> tags. I also need people to tell me where cookies hide on Linux, MacOS X, MacOS 9 and any other operating system you can think of.

Also, I want some more questions. I feel I've got about 75 percent of them done. In particular, threads for posterity and more "things we'd like newbies to know" should be fielded, preferably by PM sos I don't miss it.

It's also missing something about the DROD Room Images, which needs to be said, and I'm doing now.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 08-08-2003 at 09:30 AM]

08-08-2003 at 10:15 AM
krammer
Very nice, just the right style - jokes, but not too over the top. Maybe a few more rooms in the Commonly Asked section:

Level 7 Once North
Level 8 Twice South Twice East
Level 23 Once North
Level 25 Once North Twice West

Other things to include - smilies, reading the forum by email, editing your posts, attaching files and the read/unread things.

"Oook!"
08-08-2003 at 01:15 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The TRON room? Really? The rest are understandable, but I don't think I've seen people conplain about the TRON room.

Of course, I'm looking for opinions on this, although I reckon it should possibly be a top ten, or maybe a top 5. I don't want to negate the existence of the Hints board altogether, and I can see it getting out of hand. See post on Hints board.

The other stuff is in. Well, except for getting the forum via e-mail, where I quickly discovered I have no idea how to do this. Can someone help me out here?

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 08-08-2003 at 02:09 PM]

08-08-2003 at 01:56 PM
krammer
There's an option for emailing all messages to you in your profile and a "receive all replies to this topic by email" option when you post/edit a message. I don't read by email myself, but I assume it just sends a copy to your inbox every time someone posts.

And I didn't mean Once North, sorry - I was going from memory, which is never foolproof. ;) I meant the one with the 4 entrances, the snake and 2 queens - on reflection, I think it's Twice North.

"Oook!"
08-08-2003 at 05:19 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Mattcrampy wrote:
Incidently, I've done an FAQ. It's rough, and needs more. Wanna see?
"Incidentally"--heh. Like incidentally, I carved an ice sculpture. It's great, man! You've got the perfect style of writing for it, and the information is good.

I would add a blurb under registering like this:

This isn't a tremendously secure site, and there's at least five or six people that can learn your password using their access privileges. It would be pretty hard to change this, and if you think about it, nearly every place you log into on the internet puts you in a similar situation. That said, pick a password that is different from the password to your online banking service or your web-based interface to the strategic missile defense system. Also, if you are reading this after registering, you can always go back and edit your profile and to change your password.

08-08-2003 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
Level 15; Once South Twice West: You'll go far if you take a screenshot. (On Windows machines, this is Ctrl+Print Screen, near the useless Scroll Lock. Then go to Paint and press Ctrl+V.)

What do you mean Scroll Lock is useless? I use it every day! With "tail -f" it's indispensible.

[Edited by bdcribbs on 08-08-2003 at 06:17 PM]
08-08-2003 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Mastering the forum
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com