Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : WROD (Worf: Revenge or Death - for JtRH)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
IP: Logged

File: WROD.hold (59.6 KB)
Downloaded 148 times.
License: Other
icon WROD (+1)  
While running this, bare in mind that this hold is designed for someone to run using the graphics that I am currently working on. They are Star Trek themed graphics (Beethro => Worf, Halph => Alexander, Slayer => Duras, Roach => Tribble, etc.) The dialogue may not make sense unless you keep that in mind.
The five main levels are basically layed out but could use some tweaking I'm sure. After the first five, I have a "Dream Plane" level (called "Mirror Universe") that is not yet completed. I gladly accept comments on the parts that have been developed, though.

[Edited by Garlonuss at Local Time:05-15-2005 at 08:06 AM]

[Edited by Garlonuss at Local Time:05-17-2005 at 11:22 PM]

[Edited by Garlonuss at Local Time:05-21-2005 at 01:26 AM]

[Edited by Garlonuss at Local Time:05-28-2005 at 03:32 AM]

Click here to view the secret text

05-15-2005 at 08:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
icon Re: WROD (0)  
I would be happy to test your hold, but you don't have it set up for anyone edit. This means if a tester finds an impossible room or a problem, they are stuck.

I have been unable to get past 1E - I get stuck in a loop.

Like the theme, as a fellow trekkie.

05-21-2005 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
Paramount is pretty strict about trademarks and copyrights, though. Be careful.

05-21-2005 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
The file I posted is set up so that you can edit it if you conquer it. The reason I did it that way is because I have a number of secrets throughout the hold that I don't want given away right off. I can guarantee, though, that Level one - 1E is beatable. Once you know the trick, you don't really even have to think about it anymore, really.

[Edited by Garlonuss at Local Time:05-21-2005 at 01:26 AM]

05-21-2005 at 01:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
so what is the trick?

05-21-2005 at 04:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Garlonuss
cbemom wrote:
so what is the trick?
Without telling too much, there are really only two of the drop away floor bridges that you actually walk all the way across. The rest you simply drop the floor and go back to the tunnel you were just standing on. (One of the ones you walk across you leave alone the first time you pass by because you have to walk across it later.)

As an experiment, try just dropping the floor and using the first tunnel you come by on each bridge. That should give you a big hint.

[Edited by Garlonuss at Local Time:05-21-2005 at 05:48 AM]

05-21-2005 at 05:38 AM
Garlonuss
silver wrote:
I know, and thank you for your concern. I am currently trying to look in to what I can do about that.

05-21-2005 at 05:39 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: WROD (+1)  
I've played through this hold, and I can say that it's definitely all solvable, and the few places it's not back-trackable, I believe it doesn't need to be. (Of course, someone else may find a problem I missed....) Here are two critiques of the hold:

1) There is a tunnel maze really early on, and it's a show-stopping maze (meaning if you can't get it, you can't go on to do anything else). This can be daunting at an early point in the hold. It would be nice if the room were skippable so you can do the rest of the level if you get stuck on the maze.

2) The difficulty is a bit uneven. Some hard rooms are mixed with less challenging rooms on the earlier levels, and the difficulty ramp-up could daunt some people early on. At this point, moving rooms around to harder/easier levels is probably not feasible since room art is a big part of the hold design, but twiddling difficulty on some of the rooms may be possible. Two rooms that exhibit this are Boreth:1E and Indiana:1N2E.

I think there are a lot of clever puzzles in this hold. Some of the rooms are fun to play and some are mind-bending. When it's done, I think it will be a solid hold. (Disclaimer: Garlonuss is my brother.)

++Adam H. Peterson
05-21-2005 at 09:53 AM
AlefBet
silver wrote:
That's an important issue to consider. IANAL but that won't stop me from giving an uneducated guess about how these issues might play out.

I don't think there are any significant copyright issues here. Some of the room designs have an intentional resemblance to Star Trek ship designs and insignia designs, but the resemblance is clearly pretty rudimentary. It's obvious that no verbatim copying is going on here. Only the vague profile of the characteristic shapes is being copied, which is a small enough component of the original designs that I think it falls squarely and obivously into the realms of fair use. (Again, IANAL.)

The trademark issues are a bit trickier, but I think that as far as the level design goes, it's pretty clear that the rooms are not creating confusion as to the origin of the materials such that someone might think it's being produced by Paramount or an authorized licensee. (That is an argument that could be raised, though.) The other big issue is the fact that the names of a few franchise characters are used in the storyline. If Paramount took an interest in this piece of work, they would probably have a pretty good position there.

++Adam H. Peterson
05-21-2005 at 10:06 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I was more worried he was going to make a set of GeneralTiles.png. if it's just the hold layout, then it's probably cool.

05-21-2005 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
silver wrote:
I was more worried he was going to make a set of GeneralTiles.png. if it's just the hold layout, then it's probably cool.
He's planning on doing that too. And it's true that Paramount could probably take issue with it. There wouldn't be any copyright issues since he does his artwork by hand, but there could be trademark issues if the sprites are unmistakably Star Trek elements. I don't think it will be an issue at 22x22. (It's hard to make anything unmistakable at that size.) At that size, a tribble is also just a furry ball and a romulan is also just a kind of a green guy in a gray suit. It's good to be aware of the potential issues, though.

++Adam H. Peterson
05-21-2005 at 11:35 AM
schep
Rank Points: 865
When was a tribble recognizable as anything other than just a furry ball? :D
05-21-2005 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
I've loaded up a new version that will allow you to skip over the second room in the first level so you can do the other rooms and then come back. It is set up so that it can be edited by people who conquer the hold. If you really want a version that anyone can edit, I can do that, but I have a number of secret rooms that I don't want given away too quickly.

05-28-2005 at 03:36 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : WROD (Worf: Revenge or Death - for JtRH)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com