Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD 2 OS X: Holding down keys
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Speicus
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 40
IP: Logged
icon DROD 2 OS X: Holding down keys (+1)  
In the current OS X beta of DROD 2 (from the .dmg file posted by wmarkham), if I hold down a direction or rotation key, I only move or rotate once. In the Windows version, I keep moving or rotating as long as I hold down the key, which is what should happen.
05-12-2005 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
icon Re: DROD 2 OS X: Holding down keys (0)  
I'm very sorry about the slow response to this. Sadly, I have not been able to reproduce this problem. As I understand, Speicus, you are running under 10.4, so this could possibly be a problem that only appears there.
06-02-2005 at 05:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Speicus
icon Re: DROD 2 OS X: Holding down keys (+1)  
Hmm. I'm not so sure. On my friend's powerbook, which is running 10.3, he ran into the same problem.
06-16-2005 at 06:16 AM
wmarkham
Okay, thanks for the info! Unfortunately, since I haven't managed to reproduce this, it is a big problem. :( At least it isn't some bizzare change across OS versions.

Weston
06-16-2005 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Speicus
I hope you can figure it out! I love drod but this bug makes it seriously annoying to play. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help test this.
06-28-2005 at 10:11 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
What I can tell you about this is that the code for determining when a key repeats is in DROD and not all hidden away from SDL. We keep a timer and wait for a certain amount of time to elapse with key held down, and then send another command.

Weston, if you can't reproduce, it may be worthwhile to add some instrumentation that logs to drod.err for keyboard events such as key down, key up, and the parts of the repeat logic. Then send that to Specius and get him to send the drod.err back to you. (Assuming Specius is willing to help, of course.)

-Erik

07-28-2005 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wmarkham
Hi. The to-be-completed-any-hour-now latest beta contains a fix to timer code that may fix the problem. Ah! Actually, I just realised that it almost certainly will! Anyway, I would like to get that out first. Then, if Speicus still has problems, (the other problem with menu items is still at large...) I would like him to try out some instrumented executables.

Weston
07-29-2005 at 11:04 PM
wmarkham
wmarkham wrote:
Ah! Actually, I just realised that it almost certainly will!
Gah!! And now I've realised that I was almost certainly wrong when I wrote that. I did fix a mistake that I made that dealt with timing events, but the keyboard repeat code is based on SDL_GetTicks(), and I don't expect it to be affected. I also made a fix that prevents keyboard repetitions from happening in some cases when they shouldn't. That fix is unlikely to help with this problem.

It seems that there is something odd in the way that SDL determines whether DROD has keyboard focus. I think that this is an underlying cause of a number of odd behaviors that I have seen, probably including both of Speicus' bugs....

Weston
07-31-2005 at 07:39 PM
Speicus
I finally tried out the new beta and it fixed both the problems I had... this one and the menu button thing! Yay! It feels downright luxuriously reponsive to play now.

Unfortunately I think two other things which you purported to fix (cut & paste, caravelnet support) aren't working for me. :? I'll post some new threads about those.
08-16-2005 at 03:47 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD 2 OS X: Holding down keys
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No