Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : HIJK - New Hold of old updated levels (happy impossible jigsaw killings)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
IP: Logged

File: H I J K.hold (54.3 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Other
icon HIJK - New Hold of old updated levels (0)  
I've put together the three 1-level holds I officially released for DROD:AE and one hold I never officially posted (although it made it to this board) into one hold. They are, in alphabetical order:

Happy House
Impossible Cubes
Jigsaw Feeling
Killing Jar

I've made some minor changes to a few rooms, mostly cosmetic JtRH updates and the addition of scripts. Since these were all created in DROD:AE there is only one room which features a JtRH puzzle element.

I've added an intro level and as a bonus for people who have already played one or more of these levels, I added optional commentary - look for 2x2 areas of tile different than the rest of the room and walk into it to read. I tried placing them, in such a way that you never have to step on them if you don't want to. Also, some comments won't play until there's a clean room, so if one appears not to work but you haven't cleared the room that's most likely why.

Since all the levels have been play tested before, I'm mostly looking for input on the new stuff, typos, if comments can be improved, places where there should be more or less of them, etc. Thanks.

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-06-2005 at 07:58 PM: minor update to one room]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-09-2005 at 03:36 PM: fixed stairway from ending hold]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-11-2005 at 10:18 AM: Fixed pathway bug in Killing Jar, minor script change in Happy House]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-13-2005 at 11:33 PM: final? version of hold added]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-19-2005 at 10:01 AM]

05-05-2005 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
icon Re: HIJK - New Hold of old updated levels (0)  
Also, I've got a script problem I could use a bit of help with.

I'd like an event to happen if a player reaches a part of the room before the green door drops, but if the player already cleaned out the room and then gets there, I don't want the script to run.

Can someone help me with how to set up this? :?

05-06-2005 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: HIJK - New Hold of old updated levels (+1)  
Tscott wrote:
Also, I've got a script problem I could use a bit of help with.

I'd like an event to happen if a player reaches a part of the room before the green door drops, but if the player already cleaned out the room and then gets there, I don't want the script to run.

Can someone help me with how to set up this? :?

I think this should do it:

Label Begin
Wait 1 turn
If...go to PlayerInTargetArea
Wait for Player (location)
Goto Begin
Label PlayerInTargetArea
If...go to Begin
Wait for monster (select whole room)
// Do stuff here that's only to be done in a certain location when room cleared.

05-06-2005 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
Hmmm...

Something like this should work:

Label Start
If... Go To End
Wait for clean room
If... go to Specialstuff
Wait for player at (specify area)
Wait 1 turns
Go To Start
Label Specialstuff
Stuff to do if player is at that area
Label End
End

Edit: Gah, Schik got there first. Interesting how we have slightly different ways of doing things. :)

[Edited by krammer at Local Time:05-06-2005 at 06:40 PM]

"Oook!"
05-06-2005 at 06:38 PM
Tscott
Awesome. I got it working! Thanks both for your reply. :thumbsup

I'm going to update the attached hold now, but only one room has been changed script-wise for now so it's a fairly minor update.

05-06-2005 at 07:55 PM
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
I've enjoyed playing your holds, and took a look at the "new, improved!" version.

I like. You made a comment in Impossible cubes - 1S can't be solved for several cycles and you needed the breakable wall.

I did it in 2 cycles and didn't use the breakable wall.
Click here to view the secret text

grin

05-09-2005 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Re: 1S of Impossible Cubes

05-09-2005 at 06:48 AM
cbemom
I'm not sure if this is a bug...

I completed jigsaw, and then impossible cubes. When I finished IC, the ending credits came up, saying I had completed the hold.

In my list of hold, HIJK shows as 0% complete

odd.

05-09-2005 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Yeah, that's a bug. Thanks.

I had tested all the stairs at some point to make sure they all worked correctly, but somehow that stairway got broke and pointed to end the hold. I think I've corrected it in the new attachment. Sorry.

I did move a couple levels around at one point and I wonder if it broke there? Anyway, I retested all the stairs in the editor so hopefully this sort of thing wont happen again. :blush

05-09-2005 at 03:42 PM
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
cbemom wrote:
In my list of hold, HIJK shows as 0%

After you conquer a hold, JtRH shows what percent of secret rooms you have conquered. So that 0% doesn't mean you haven't done anything in the hold, it says none of the secrets are conquered. The staircase going to the wrong place is a separate issue, of course.
05-09-2005 at 03:47 PM
cbemom
haven't found any new bugs in happy house.

I must say I enjoy the commentary on the rooms. I like to know what the architect was thinking.

In the Killing Jar, if you exit 1N 1W before finishing the rest of the level, you cannot return - I don't remember that being a problem in the original

[Edited by cbemom at Local Time:05-11-2005 at 05:14 AM]

05-11-2005 at 03:36 AM
Tscott
cbemom wrote:
In the Killing Jar, if you exit 1N 1W before finishing the rest of the level, you cannot return - I don't remember that being a problem in the original
Oops, I introduced that bug when making changes so that the player no longer needed to run around the room before dropping all the trapdoors. I moved each red door up a square and got rid of some floor with force arrows which were no longer needed- I just forgot that some people may need to go back. :blush I've fixed this, new version of hold is in the original post.

I also made a small change to the script in Happy House 1N2W.

05-11-2005 at 10:28 AM
Tscott
Thanks for all the comments. I just played through this hold once more for good measure and corrected a couple of typos and script errors I found and double checked all the stairways. I think I'll upload the latest version to the holds section later tonight unless anyone has found any other concerns.

05-13-2005 at 11:32 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : HIJK - New Hold of old updated levels (happy impossible jigsaw killings)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com