Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Beethro's First Job (May's contest)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged

File: DBOD.txt (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 122 times.
License: Other
icon Beethro's First Job (+4)  
We know a lot about Beethro as an adult, but what was he like when he was younger? Was he a suave ladies man? An unpopular loser? A psychotic mass murderer who fed on the blood of small animals and young children? Why did he become a delver? Was it for the fame? For the money? Was it so he could support his craving for the blood of small animals? And what was Beethro's first job as a delver like? Was it a terrifying excursion into a deep, dark dungeon, filled with horrible monsters beyond comprehension? Or was it simply that time he stomped on some ants he found crawling through his pantry?

Well, here's our chance to find the answers to all of these (and many more) questions!

This month's contest is to write a short story based on Beethro's first job as a delver.

The Rules:

1. Since I don't want to restrict anyone's creativity in any way, the story can be written in any style. First person, third person, why, even second person would be fine. Go crazy and be as creative as you like. This is a chance to show everyone just how awesome your writing skills are.

2. There is no minimum or maximum length, but keep in mind that people don't want to read a novel. Similarly, most people can't tell a good story in four sentances, so try not to make it extremely short either. Try to keep it to a reasonable length.

3. All entries will be anonymous. When you've written a story, PM it to me and I'll post it in a seperate thread only for entries. If you tell anyone that a story is yours, that entry will be disqualified.

4. Entries can be submitted until Local Time:05-20-2005 at 01:00 PM. After that, readers will get to vote on the stories.

5. You can have up to three seperate entries, but only one will be allowed in the final judging. People submitting more than one entry will have to PM me before the deadline (Local Time:05-20-2005 at 01:00 PM) and let me know what entry they want to be judged. If you don't PM me before the deadline, I'll simply use your first entry. You'll be given 10 rank points for each story you submit (the rank points will be given after the contest is completed). If this is your first contest, you'll recieve an extra 5 points per entry.

6. Grammar and spelling are important. I'm going to post your entry exactly as you send it to me, so proofread it before it's sent. Once I've posted an entry, it can't be edited, but if you send me an edit before I've posted the entry, I'll accept it.

7. This is a contest about your creative writing abilities, not about your hold-authoring skills or your artistic ability. Please don't include a hold or illustrations to go along with your story.

8. Make it entertaining! Make it funny! Make sure it doesn't contain anything that would obviously clash with Eighth lore (no submachine guns, sorry). Additionally, let's keep it clean. If your entry contains any obscenity, I'll simply ask you to clean it up.

9. The winner will recieve 100 rank points and something from the prize pile. Second place will get 50 rank points and a coupon for a 20 minute backrub by one member of the forum of their choice*, and third place will get 25 points and a nice pat on the back. Additionally, the first place story will become part of the official Eighth lore.

EDIT: 10. Every story must have a title. A title is necessarey to be able to differentiate between the stories.

11. If you have any questions, post them here or PM me.

I've included a story I wrote to get everyone started. Have fun, be creative, and let's see lots of entries!

*Coupon not redeemable for cash. Expires 12/31/04.

[Edited by Malarame at Local Time:05-03-2005 at 01:23 PM: spelling]

[Edited by Malarame at Local Time:05-04-2005 at 08:32 PM: Added a rule]

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
05-02-2005 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Beethro's First Job (0)  
In that story that you posted , I wonder who that is. :?

05-02-2005 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
No offense to anyone and the like, but it's about time we had a writing contest here! I am stating here and now that I will be submitting at least one story into this contest, as I am a huge fan of creative writing. Let me at it!

05-02-2005 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Beethro's First Job (+2)  
This is a great idea!

A few notes, for the sake consistency with existing lore (taken from the website and KDD/JtRH level entry text):

- Remember that Beethro never saw tar before KDD.
- Also, he saw roaches before, but not ones as large as the ones in KDD.
- It's not clear to me whether he met wraithwings before. The level description page says Beethro saw "his first wraithwing" on KDD level 2, but it may mean he saw the first one in KDD, not the first one in his life.
- It's almost certain he didn't meet brains before KDD.
- On the other hand, he dealt with many serpents in the past.
- And he has a past history with goblins as well.
- And I think he also knew how to use mimic potions.
- JtRH stuff is almost certainly all new to Beethro when he's in JtRH. The only possible exception is the rattlesnake, which Beethro easily identifies when he sees it.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:05-03-2005 at 01:03 AM: 3? who said 3? :)]

05-03-2005 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Beethro's First Job (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
- It's not clear to me whether he met wraithwings before. The level description page says Beethro saw "his first wraithwing" on KDD level 3, but it may mean he saw the first one in KDD, not the first one in his life.
The first wraithwing in KDD was in Level 2, not level 3. :smartass:

05-03-2005 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Thanks for all that info, Eytan. If there's anything else like that that anyone can think of, please let everyone know.

-Groucho Marx
05-03-2005 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Beethro had seen wraithwings before - they're quite common up on the plains.

Beethro hadn't seen tar before, but he'd heard of it. It's not all that common, and only the experienced smitemasters tend to run into it. (Of which Beethro is now one.)

Beethro discovered brains, Erik tells me. So you can't assume the existance of brains at all in your story.

The rattlesnake is new to Beethro, but he received a newsletter from the Smitemaster's Guild warning of the rattlesnakes. He kept it in mind, although there was a lot of stuff from that newsletter that turned out to be bogus. Like arrows that swing around to face you? And giant gushes of water? Pshaw!

Matt

05-03-2005 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
So you can't assume the existance of brains at all in your story.

I beg to differ on this point. I think you should be able to assume the exitance of brains, but you may not have Beethro meet one.

05-03-2005 at 01:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Fair enough. Beethro can't run into a brain, and he can't be told about brains, as they haven't been discovered yet. Of course, you might want to have brained roaches, but will a green Beethro be able to deal with them?

I don't think anyone mentioned evil eyes yet. For the record, Beethro had seen them long before KDD.

Matt

05-03-2005 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Well, he says you normally see them from the fifth (?) level down which I assume to have come from experience, so he either sees them on this, his first trip, or a later date.
05-03-2005 at 09:41 PM
Malarame
A forum member just brought up an interesting issue in a PM to me. Apparently, this particular member doesn't speak English fluently, and he feels at a disadvantage. For the sake of consistancy, all entries in this contest need to be in English, so something needs to be done.

Is there anyone who speaks more than one language fluently and is willing to translate and/or proofread the work of another forum member? I'll allow this as long as the story is kept just between the two of you and the translator only translates and checks grammar and spelling. If you speak more than one language and you're willing to help out a fellow DRODiac, please reply and let everyone know. Anyone who translates a story will recieve 7 rank points per story (given after the contest is complete).

-Groucho Marx
05-03-2005 at 10:59 PM
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
Hey, you've finally hit on my strong point. I happen to be a writer/artist. Of course, I've been neglecting my art much more than my writing.

Anyway, I think I'll give this one a shot. BUT I will have to consider my limits, which you all have mentioned: So I have to pay close attention to what monsters Beethro actually encounters? Hmm...I'll have to keep a nice list of those handy.

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:05-04-2005 at 05:17 AM: Grammar Error]

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:05-09-2005 at 05:18 AM: Email N. off]

05-04-2005 at 05:14 AM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
Malarame wrote:
This month's contest is to write a short story based on Beethro's first job as a delver.

WOOHOO!!! :thumbsup :fun :thumbsup

I'm going to have fun with this one. :w00t
05-04-2005 at 04:11 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Im in ! Ill like story writing.... :-)

No submachineguns ? :~( Ill take assault riffles ;)
05-04-2005 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
One request that I forgot to mention: Please give your story a title. That'll make it much easier to differentiate between the stories.

-Groucho Marx
05-04-2005 at 08:28 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Beethro's First Job (+3)  
Malarame wrote:
Please give your story a title. That'll make it much easier to differentiate between the stories.
I think I will call mine "Beethro's First Job" :D

:tomato

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-04-2005 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crazy Ivan
Rank Points: 38
Malarame wrote:
A forum member just brought up an interesting issue in a PM to me. Apparently, this particular member doesn't speak English fluently, and he feels at a disadvantage. For the sake of consistancy, all entries in this contest need to be in English, so something needs to be done.
<snip>

Ok, I'm volunteering to do some translations from either Dutch, French or German to English. I've allready informed Malarame.
You can copy paste your text in a PM to me. If I get more requests than I can handle I'll post in this thread. Until then I'll handle the requests indiscriminately on a first come first served basis.

Kind regards,

Michael

[Edited by Crazy Ivan at Local Time:05-05-2005 at 08:51 PM]
05-05-2005 at 07:16 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Hey, maybe if I win this, I can get around my 'can't find a method of buying JtRH' problem! :D~!
05-05-2005 at 07:37 PM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
Malarme,

It might be a good idea to make the thread with the stories in 'Sticky' - so it doesn't move down the board.

Cheers!

05-05-2005 at 07:45 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Um, it is...it has the "pushpin holding a piece of paper up" symbol next to it. All of the sticky threads might move around a bit, but they all stay at the top of the board.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-05-2005 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HappyMutant
Rank Points: 36
Oh, that's what that is.

For the life of me, I thought the sticky icon was an embellished Northeast arrow. :blush
05-07-2005 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
If it's any consolation, I didn't even notice the sticky icons until a few days ago.

Also, you folk all have more writing skill than me and it makes me sad.

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:05-10-2005 at 09:19 PM]
05-09-2005 at 04:12 AM
Malarame
Just a reminder -

Only one more week to submit stories! Cmon everyone, get to work and crank those stories out!

-Groucho Marx
05-13-2005 at 03:01 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Well, since no one seems to be talking about the entries, I'll give my two cents worth.

Entry #1:
Click here to view the secret text
Entry #2:
Entry #3:
Entry #4:
Entry #5:
Entry #6:
Entry #7:
Entry #8:
Entry #9:
Entry #10:

My comments aside, I'm happy to see the participation level of this contest was much higher than the last writing contest we had (Which turned out to draw three people, including myself).

Edit: Updated Entry #10's comment. See posts below.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:05-16-2005 at 11:20 PM]

05-16-2005 at 02:54 PM
eytanz
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Entry #10:

I haven't read story #10 yet (I still want to see if I can finish my own story), but I looked at the first paragraph and I don't understand your comment. What exactly is the contradiction with Beethro the delver?

05-16-2005 at 03:02 PM
gamer_extreme_101
eytanz wrote:
I haven't read story #10 yet (I still want to see if I can finish my own story), but I looked at the first paragraph and I don't understand your comment. What exactly is the contradiction with Beethro the delver?
Well, my understanding was that he was accepted into the Smitemaster's Guild after he cleared out KDD. The story has him at the Smitemaster's Guild waaay before KDD supposidly.

Of course, I may be completly wrong on that, in which case I retract my statements.

05-16-2005 at 10:28 PM
eytanz
icon Re: Beethro's First Job (+1)  
Um, I really suggest you re-read Beethro the delver. It starts pretty much immediately after KDD, and makes many referrences to Beethro being a senior smitemaster, and him being grouchy about how all his old friends are no longer there and how he doesn't recognize all the new people. Clearly, by Beethro the Delver Beethro himself has been in the smitemaster's guild a long time.

05-16-2005 at 11:09 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Ahh...I'll remove that from my comments. I apologize to the authour of #10 personally for that mistake on my part.

05-16-2005 at 11:18 PM
Malarame
Less than 24 hours left to submit your stories! Get in your last-minute entries now, while you still have a chance!

-Groucho Marx
05-19-2005 at 02:19 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I am guessing that it is 5AM EST, on 05/20/2005. If that is wrong please let me know.

05-19-2005 at 09:08 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Beethro's First Job (May's contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com